What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney in trouble again???

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
The NRL should de register him and naiquama. I love him to death and i am a canberra man but this guy obviously has that little going on upstairs that his not worth having around.

I dont see the sense in suspending people with substance abuse problems from the game and not those who knowingly break the law and carry criminal convictions.

It hurts and if so it sets our progress back years, but if i am going to criticise gower and naiquama i have to be consistent and give it to todd too!

legend

Coach
If Carney goes, then Gower, Laffranchi, Gibbs, SBW and Matai should all be de-registered as well.

For Carney to learn his lesson, I think he needs a sting in the hip pocket but it may force him out of the club.

gph

Juniors
Bay56 said:
I'm sure Todd will have learnt a big lesson from this incident

If he hasn't learned from his previous incidents why would this one be any different?

dubby

Bench
It wasnt that long ago he was facing jail in NSW. Todd came out and admitted that threat scared him.

Obviously, not enough.

I would like to know the details as to why he was driving (was Irwin drunk and Todd driving him home?) and I can understand why he did the bolt: he was scared.

At least he came forward (unlike Naquima) and admitted his fault. I wouldnt mind betting a leader like Thommo or Tonguey urged him to fess up (or Todds dad).

I need to know more facts before I judge the kid, but it does look bad for him.

sydraider

First Grade
dubby said:
It wasnt that long ago he was facing jail in NSW. Todd came out and admitted that threat scared him.

Obviously, not enough.

I would like to know the details as to why he was driving (was Irwin drunk and Todd driving him home?) and I can understand why he did the bolt: he was scared.

At least he came forward (unlike Naquima) and admitted his fault. I wouldnt mind betting a leader like Thommo or Tonguey urged him to fess up (or Todds dad).

I need to know more facts before I judge the kid, but it does look bad for him.

If irwin wanted to get on the turps, he should of got a taxi the f**king merkin.

Still I guess Hindsight is always 20/20.

Total stupidity on both accounts if thats the case.

Carney is one of the players we have been waiting 10 years for, Im gutted.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
He has to go...Whether its jail time or out of the NRL (2 year suspension)..his basically a criminal as it is.

We have young guys coming through working hard trying to make it to first grade, and then we have Todd who just acts like a wanker on a regulary basis...the raiders cannot be seen to be smaller then Carney, we are not the Canberra Carney. The sooner he is let go the sooner players at the raiders figure out that they cannot do crap like this.

Does he think he will front the judicary or something and get a 1 week suspension if he admits? his an asshole, always has been.

What messege does this send to players at the raiders? Frawley was booted for being a crap player..and yet we keep Carney for playing well but drink driving/doing burnouts/Running away from the police...Id rather a crap player compared to one that may cause injury to the community.

legend

Coach
It's all well and good taking the moral high ground in this issue, but there is a financial aspect to all this as well, which makes the decision incredibly tough.

There is no doubt Carney is a self-centred arsehole with little to no regard for the club, the players and the fans.

However, we have been craving success since 1994 and he is a very big cog in a small wheel and most other clubs apart from the Broncos are backing their players when they f**k up like this.

We have a reputation as a club who give second chances to wayward players such as Costigan and Tilse so in all likelihood, we won't punt Carney but I want to see stern action taken against this tool but if it turns out he was driving Irwin home and knew he was in strife if he was caught, then I can be a little more forgiving.

It's certainly a very difficult situation.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
But carney has been given chances...

Im all up for giving players a fair go when they mess up..but being involved in a police pursuit is completely different to do nudey runs.

Carney could be a great player but im sure we can cover him..Zilly anyone?

jed

First Grade
The loss of a player like Carney would be a huge setback for our chances of success over the next few seasons.

Would the club (or the fans) be prepared to accept that, knowing that another club would have him signed up before he'd even packed his bags out of the ACT? The only way to truely punish him would be for the NRL to de-register him, but they've shown in the past that they're not going to do that, why should this time be any different?

parra pete

Referee
If he is sacked and another Club signs him, in my opinion, that Club would be as weak as water.
If the Raiders adopt a strict policy to maintain its standards it should be congratulated by other Clubs, not taken advantage of.....
No player is above the law. He would have known the consequences when he hopped behind the wheel..If he didn't he must be as thick as a brick. He has only himself to blame and it is a shame because he is a great footballer on the cusp of a magnificient career that would set him up financially for life.
I feel sorry for his team mates, Club officials, sponsors, the kids who put such players on high pedestals and finally the Raider supporters. It is hard enough to get players to come to the ACT without your 'local products' behaving like hoons.

Raider_69

Post Whore
tbh as much as i think he deserves to be sacked, and if the NRL said they deregister him, then id accept that as an action, but if the NRL is not going to deregister him then i dont think we should punt him

ultimately if we do, he will find another club and be tearing it up with them before the season is out. As said, if we were going to win premierships in the next few years, he is going to play a massive role in that, if i were judge, jury and executioner, id fine him 50k, another 50k suspended if he f**ks up again, give him 100 hours community service, 2 years suspended jail sentence and stand him down from FG until he completes his community service.

sydraider

First Grade
Either way, whether he is sacked, jailed or heavily penalised by the club, this new incident has pretty much ruined his career at the raiders. Whatever the club decides to do, they are on a hiding to nothing. They sack him, another club will no doubt go after him, If they punish him heavily ie financial, he will no doubt not, renew his contract and go elsewhere.

The nrl will not de-register him, thats a given.

It will take a big man to stay and cop it on the chin, Carney obviously hasnt proved that he is that off the field. This new incident, obviously reinforces that he has a problem. He might want to look for a change of scene after his contract is up.

Either way, we are screwed of keeping him as a marquee player, whatever the outcome of all this is.

Im hoping I wake up tomorrow and find out this is all a misunderstanding, does not look that way though, especially when you are knocking on the police door admitting your guilt.

This really suck ass hardcore........

Chachi

Bench
^
That is exactly right. I'm sure the club said/did everything but sack him last time with the threat of tearing up his contract. I'm sure he was sincere in his apology then, but the dumbass juice or whatever got the better of him and here we are now.

I can't even begin to think that his motives were as wholesome as just giving Irwin a lift home as he was being pursued by the cops after driving recklessly.

If the club has any balls they will go through with what I am sure was their original threat and sack him. I am sure he will then go on to play for another club and represent NSW or whatever in the future and still make a good living out of the game.

Yes it sucks, yes there is no justice, yes that's why we have Tilse and Costigan.

That is the way it is. Todd Carney is an idiot, he has disgraced the Raiders jersey and I bet he isn't even man enough to stick by the club if they throw the book at him and do anything but sack him.

The worse thing that could happen here is for our proud club to be held to ransom by a 20 year old hooligan just because he can run and pass a football. We have Dobson, Zillman, Herbert and Campese who are all ready to take his spot. Solves a few problems and answers a few questions in my mind.

I've got a lot of friends who already think most league players are dickheads - this just seals the deal. Even I'm struggling to get excited about this team right now. I just feel numb.

perverse

Referee
Raider Ultra said:
F*ck off pest.
lol geez touchy arn't we?

unfortunately for your club to retain some integrity they should stick by their original words and sack him.

honestly i'd be gutted if this were mullen in the same position. it kinda makes me wanna vomit a little.. but i feel for you guys.

sydraider

First Grade
perverse said:
lol geez touchy arn't we?

unfortunately for your club to retain some integrity they should stick by their original words and sack him.

honestly i'd be gutted if this were mullen in the same position. it kinda makes me wanna vomit a little.. but i feel for you guys.

No offence mate but this post is f**king idiotic and you just contradicted yourself with it.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
dubby said:

I don't think he deserves any credit for that. They had Steve Irwin's car, and Steve Irwin was cooperating, so Carney was going to be arrested the next day whatever happened. Don't see that he had any option.

I don't necessarily think that Carney should be cut, but I suspect that he will be. I think this is stupid, myself, as, al la Costigan and Tilse, he will just be signed at another club for next season and it's the Raiders that suffer, not Carney.

It is also very likely that an offender (I claim absolutely no knowledge of this case and am not speculating as to Carney's fate) with multiple traffic offenses and matching this profile would be looking at a custodial sentence, most likely periodic detention.

Back to uninformed speculation.....we won't see Carney in green again this year, and quite possibly never.

Gutting.

dmickey07

Juniors
you absolute f**kwit. you have disgraced the club and everyone associated. it is not forgivable...it doesnt matter if he was driving a drunk irwin home. What arent there any taxis in canberra or something? Plus doing burnouts hardly constitutes driving him home. The question is, is carney really worth all this sh*t? Is it worth devaluing our club for a twenty year old POTENTIAL superstar? sure if it was andrew johns you would try and tiptoe through every avenue you could to get around the issue. Bu the fact is, there are other players within our ranks who could fill the void (zilly, herbert, campese). Imagine if all the allegations proved tru, and all the raiders did was give him a slap on the wrist? wat would that mean for a player like herbert?

legend

Coach
I honestly can't see any way of Carney staying with the club and he'll end up at another NRL club, most likely Penrith, Cronulla or Wests Tigers, playing against us twice a year for the next ten years.

I think periodic detention is too easy for this dickhead!

Latest posts