What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney must start!!

greeneyed

First Grade
McLinden has to be on the field the whole time. He's the most potent attacking player we have and the fastest... We just need a good organising half beside him....

lotm

Juniors
i have a sneaking suspicion that carney will be in the side this week. whether it's off the bench or in the starting side remains to be seen.

1. Schif
2. Gaf
3. Mogg
4. Monas
5. Robbo (or Monas with Boogs to centres)
6. Croker
7. McLinden
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford
10. Thompson
11. Wiki
12. T. Smith
13. Croker

Res:

14. Weyman
15. Miller
16. Martin
17. Drew

That's the side that will be named. I bet on it. And if so, we will deadset get killed...

lotm

Juniors
you're lucky i'm such a nice guy ... i may have taken you up on that bet

6 - croker
13 - croker

lotm

Juniors
personally, i think:

schif
gafa
mogg
monas
robbo
croker
mclinden
weyman
woolford
o'hara
wiki
t.smith
hindmarsh

carney
thompson
martin
miller

thickos

First Grade
I agree with IBG - despite the promise that he holds, and the perfect opportunity this is, Elliott will not start with Weyman at prop... he will choose Thompson. If i had my way though I'd be picking your team lotm, thats the best I think we can name at the moment :|

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Give Carney a chance to grow as a footballer first.

You do an 18 year old halfback no favours at all bringing him on too early.

Raider Azz

Bench
^ Exactlly. I know some of you will say "bullsh*t" what about players like Karmichael Hunt"

Well there is a big difference is resposibility between a fullback and a halfback. I don't think it's wise to place the weight of the team on his shoulders just yet. I would love to have him on the bench, but the starting side? A little too early for that.

Kris_man

Bench
Raider_Azz said:
^ Exactlly. I know some of you will say "bullsh*t" what about players like Karmichael Hunt"

Well there is a big difference is resposibility between a fullback and a halfback. I don't think it's wise to place the weight of the team on his shoulders just yet. I would love to have him on the bench, but the starting side? A little too early for that.
- Then start him at 5/8. He's played a few games in PL there, and McLinden won't have to re-adjust to a new position. I don't see the point in putting him on the bench, he's got to come on at some point, and when he does, you'd think it would be in a leading role. As I've said before, I don't see the point in having a half on the bench, in any team. Anyway, I think it's very likely that Elliott will bring Drew up this week, not Carney.

lotm

Juniors
the reason i put him on the bench in my team was so he would avoid most of the sting that comes in the first 20 or so minutes. as a young player, he'll be targetted fairly heavily in both attack and defense. once he gets on there, however, he shouldn't be taken off. he should stay on for the next 50-60 minutes.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
^ I agree, if he starts a match and is constantly peppered by the oppositions big men, it could do irrepairable damage to his confidence. I'd like to see him in the last 15 - 20 minutes of each half to see what he is capable of in first grade.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Tokyo_Raider said:
Give Carney a chance to grow as a footballer first.

You do an 18 year old halfback no favours at all bringing him on too early.

Stacey Jones, Alfie Langer and Andrew Johns were that age or younger (I'm pretty sure Jones was 17) when they were playing half back for their clubs and it didn't seem to effect them in the long run :)

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Stacey Jones, Alfie Langer and Andrew Johns were that age or younger (I'm pretty sure Jones was 17) when they were playing half back for their clubs and it didn't seem to effect them in the long run

Brett Finch was that age when he started, and it was a complete nightmare for both him and the club. Now, he's off playing outstanding football for the Roosters.

It's a critical position, the responsibilities are huge, and we are not going to help anyone by destroying the confidence of an outstanding prospect like Carney appears to be. Bring him on slowly, give him a chance to build confidence in himself and gain the confidence of the team. Let's avoid losing another young player and watching him flower at another club.

Kris_man

Bench
Brett Finch was that age when he started, and it was a complete nightmare for both him and the club. Now, he's off playing outstanding football for the Roosters.
- what?!?! he was better then than he is now. i was impressed with him early in his career. and even brad drew would look good with freddy outside him, and one of the best forward packs in the comp behind him. but yeah, we don't want to wreck carney's career and confidence, just like the warriors runied stacey's career. oh wait, he's one of the best halfbacks of the past decade. :roll: anyway, this season's over for the radiers, i've given up, and regardless of what happens in the last few games of this season, the halves nxt yr will be jason smith and mclinden.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
what?!?! he was better then than he is now. i was impressed with him early in his career. and even brad drew would look good with freddy outside him, and one of the best forward packs in the comp behind him.

Hence his consistently good reviews on this page.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I know alot of you are upset about the signing of Jason Smith, but I'm really excited about the prospect. Provided he remains uninjured, I really think he can guide our backs well arond the park next year and in the process teach Carney, McLinden and Campese the same thing.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I have issue at all with Smith signing (I think it could be a great signing) I just think we need some spark in attack now, and I can't think of anyone else besides Carney who could provide that.

azza

Juniors
I'm not sure which will happen first - man landing on Mars or Carney getting an extended go in first grade?