What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney rejects Sharks offer

Poss

Juniors
Controversial five-eighth Todd Carney has rejected an initial contract extension offer from Cronulla, the club that brought him back from NRL oblivion.

It's understood Carney wants to stay but is seeking a better deal and is tempted by interest from Penrith, Parramatta and the Gold Coast.

Carney played for the Sharks last season after being dumped by the Sydney Roosters for a series of alcohol-related incidents. It was the second time he had been sacked by an NRL club after Canberra did the same in 2008.

Carney joins North Queensland's Test halfback Johnathan Thurston atop an astonishing list of play-makers coming off contract at the end of the season, and almost all are happy to take their time assessing their options.

Among the array of talent set to enter the market are Gareth Widdop (Melbourne), Corey Norman (Brisbane), Trent Hodkinson, Kris Keating (Bulldogs), Sam Williams (Raiders), Robert Lui (Cowboys), Jamie Soward (Dragons), Ben Roberts (Eels), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters) and Josh Reynolds (Bulldogs).

"It's extraordinary when you go through that list. It is certainly not what we have become accustomed to seeing in the NRL in recent years," said former Test captain Wally Lewis.

"I think it is fair to say that, more than ever, these days a side's halves represent the key to their team's chances of winning and as such you find clubs like to have those blokes under lock and key before any rival gets a sniff.

"Obviously, with the new TV deal there is a lot of extra money being pumped into the game and players are keen to see how much it will impact on their individual value, and good luck to them.

"But I have to admit I am surprised there has been any real drama with Todd and the Sharks. It just looked like a match made in heaven last season.

"I imagine the club would be really keen to have him stay and similarly I think Todd would be happy playing the rest of his career behind a pack as big and dominant as the one he has there with him at Cronulla."

The Sharks tabled a three-year offer during the off-season, short of the four-year extension Carney, 26, is after.

The two parties are also at an impasse over the money on offer. The club is hamstrung by the NRL's delay in announcing a revised salary cap figure.

Club administrators are becoming frustrated by the continued silence from NRL headquarters because the players, understandably, are reluctant to sign before the new cap limit and collective bargaining agreement are officially ratified.

North Queensland has the same problem, football manager Peter Parr admitting uncertainty surrounding the salary cap parameters rendered the majority of contract discussions pointless.

"We don't know what we are working within this season, let alone next season," Parr said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...re/story-e6frfkp9-1226559701560#ixzz2Ijr6ZA2a

Ausguy

Coach
Actually im calling bullshit

It's his manager fishing for a better deal. Fk you mr manger just remember why he is in the NRL at all right now.

Diesel

Referee
So money per year isn't an issue, just give him a 4th year... No doubt Titans will offer their normal 5 year deal

Quigs

Immortal
Tis not a problem yet....

Just playing the waiting game.

Its par for the course.

Nothing to see here ......... move on.

Frenzy.

Immortal
So money per year isn't an issue, just give him a 4th year... No doubt Titans will offer their normal 5 year deal

The two parties are also at an impasse over the money on offer. The club is hamstrung by the NRL's delay in announcing a revised salary cap figure.

I think there is a money issue Diesel.

"Among the array of talent set to enter the market are Gareth Widdop (Melbourne), Corey Norman (Brisbane), Trent Hodkinson, Kris Keating (Bulldogs), Sam Williams (Raiders), Robert Lui (Cowboys), Jamie Soward (Dragons), Ben Roberts (Eels), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters) and Josh Reynolds (Bulldogs)."

My definition of talent is obviously different to that of journalists. Reynolds, Williams and Widdop are about the only ones I'd be willing to take at the Eels, and our halves are going like busteds.

Sadly I can see Sticky throwing mega bucks at Carney to bring him the Eels. Short term gain, for long term pain. Thats the Sticky way.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Shat when I heard it in the BSB this morning, but agree with Quigs. Seems happy enough and why wouldn't you living in the shire and boofing Lauren FFS. I'd like to hear Toddy boys remarks before getting too worried. At any rate we could be the defending premiers this time next year and the whole shooting match will change.

runatme

Bench
how the fugg could the titans be interested thought they were on deaths door few months ago?

now they just wanna buy anyone fugging plebs

Latest posts