What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney to Souths ?

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
News on 2GB this morning, that it was reported to the station by "insiders" that Todd Carney has a deal with Souths that is nearly done... interesting... can't wait to find out if its true or not. Don't get excited to early... Richardson did say were not going after him but he also said that about Dave Taylor. lol Hes the biggest liar in the world. HAHA.

It's very likely Carney will be at Souths. In fact the only thing that would stop this deal going through is Richardson or a complete 360 by Carney.

have seen a couple of people state that Carney is a sure thing to be at Souths in 2012; One mentioned that he gotten word from an Ex-Souths player who showed him a text message between him and Michael Maguire.

Maguire and Carney are set to meet next week when Madge comes into the country.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
It's very likely Carney will be at Souths. In fact the only thing that would stop this deal going through is Richardson or a complete 360 by Carney.

have seen a couple of people state that Carney is a sure thing to be at Souths in 2012; One mentioned that he gotten word from an Ex-Souths player who showed him a text message between him and Michael Maguire.

Maguire and Carney are set to meet next week when Madge comes into the country.

Jeez you got connections hahaa.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Hope he wear this cardinal and myrtle next year, and more importantly that 6 jersey. I think Sutton's gonna have to settle for a bench spot. he will be good off the bench though.

boo_boo

Juniors
tbunny, i reckon Julian O'neill played some good footy for us.
He formed a good combination with Tricky & gave us a lody of options in attack.
I cant see how you can say he was a waste of time.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i think he's had enough chances at the raiders and the roosters..

whilst he can win you a game, the risk of the off-field incidents & disharmony he may bring is too great a gamble..

if it was my club, i'd say no..

News on 2GB this morning, that it was reported to the station by "insiders" that Todd Carney has a deal with Souths that is nearly done... interesting... can't wait to find out if its true or not. Don't get excited to early... Richardson did say were not going after him but he also said that about Dave Taylor. lol Hes the biggest liar in the world. HAHA.

A caller on 2KY yesterday morning quoted the same thing.

DC_fan

Coach
If Carney does sign with Souths then it will be dumbest stupidest craziest decision our club has ever made.

Carney is right on the precipice. It will not take much to knock him of the cliff and when he does he will take the club and season 2012 with him.

I will right here and now write off season 2012.

ss_kffl

Juniors
It is a gamble but do we really have many other options in our halves?
Carney is a huge risk, but the potential reward outweighs it.

Also, if Carney does muck up off the field, so what, we're back to where we are right now.
Unless we can sign another decent play-maker, i'll be ecstatic if we sign Carney for next year. First game would be brilliant.

Galeforce

Bench
my thoughts
1) Carney has been a loose cannon off the field in the past. Some Stupid behaviour early on when drunk and then some simple drinking instances when he stated he would not. first was because of drinking too much and then just having a drink.
2) his behaviour on the field has been consistently composed. sometimes brilliant and in 2011 affected somewhat because of the offfield drama , which were storms in teacups. what was his last offfield offence , being in a cab on a night out drinking with two teammates when the "team" was on a no drink commitment.
3)He is still young and i would expect this year has matured him some more. If he gets another chance with Souths , i am sure he realises it will be his last.
4) our new coach has coached him before. If our new coach has a discussion with him next week and decides that Carney is ready for a new chance. Then I am OK. It will be the coaches first real test and Carneys last.

Matrix

Juniors
If Carney does sign with Souths then it will be dumbest stupidest craziest decision our club has ever made.

Carney is right on the precipice. It will not take much to knock him of the cliff and when he does he will take the club and season 2012 with him.

I will right here and now write off season 2012.
What are the alternatives though?If we run with reynolds 7 and sutton 6 we will finish in the bottom 5,imo.

This. It could be a huge success on the field, it might be a disaster. But it would be worth it just to spite them.

Not if he goes on a bender and gets sacked pre-season.

LOL @ Souffs will be immortal then!

Good chance of it happening with that pisshead too!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not if he goes on a bender and gets sacked pre-season.

LOL @ Souffs will be immortal then!

Good chance of it happening with that pisshead too!
With Carney, I think we should keep things in perspective. Does he have a long list of indiscretions? Yes. But look at why he got sacked by Easts. He had a quiet drink with mates, stayed out of trouble, and got himself sacked.

A half of his talent, a free agent for that petty reason, is worth taking a risk on.

Could it blow up in our face? Ofcourse, but the upside is us winning on Grand Final day 2012 and ending a 41 year drought. That's a risk worth taking IMO.

Edit: And he'll have far better influences at this club. Obviously I'm biased but in my opinion being influenced by a Crocker, a Merritt and a Maguire is miles ahead of Myles, FPN and Smith.

Last edited:

Latest posts