What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney - Where to from here?

Beavo

Juniors
As of now he is suspended by the club.

He has confessed to the crime.

He will obviously be banned from driving for many many more years.

Pending court proceedings, he may spend a month or so in the big house, or he may get lucky with a substantial fine and long good behaviour bond.

The Raiders situation would be made easier if he were not a capable player, but this kid could actually win us a premiership, that is the key issue for the Raiders. If were not a highly rated player it would be easy to dismiss him and trumpet on about not tolerating that kind of behaviour.

My argument is this:

Canberra is now viewed by the Rugby League community as the place for outcast players, be it a fair or unfair label, it is what we have become. For as long as it exists, this image will damage the club everywhere from recruitment to publicity, something must be done to change the perception.

The answer is to sack Todd Carney. A message must go out to all current and future players that there is no place for behaviour like this.

Unfortunately the significant investment made in him by the Raiders will not benefit us. Salary is one issue, but the bigger investment in him has been allowing him to develop his game in our first grade side at the expense of someone else. The investment made by our club may lead to him winning a title for another club, the ultimate insult. But the investment may lead nothing as there is a chance that the kid has played his last game - it will be a long way for the kid.

This is a sad tale, but thankfully not the tragedy it could have become through the reckless actions. This is why we must judge him not as the promising footballer but as the person, the same way you or I would be judged if we did the same thing.

Alex28

Coach
What would be fairer to the Raiders is to be de-registered by the NRL and banned from playing League for a certain period. That way he could be free to play the game after a certain period and the Raiders would get a chance to re-sign him.

For the Raiders to sack him and see him play for another club isn't fair to the Raiders (a la Mitchell Sargeant last year). I don't see why the Raiders should lose a player to another club because they have done the right thing.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Alex28 said:
What would be fairer to the Raiders is to be de-registered by the NRL and banned from playing League for a certain period. That way he could be free to play the game after a certain period and the Raiders would get a chance to re-sign him.

To a certain extent I agree.

If the club decided to axe him then they should recommend that the NRL de-register him. As it stands there is no point in sacking him as the only one penalised really would be the club.

Personally I don't want him sacked, jailed or de-registered, it would be a huge set back to our club.

edabomb

First Grade
This episode has been a certified shocker. Some say we're teetering on the edge of an abyss, powerless as we stare into the gaping a-hole of international chaos and personal despair. It's often been suggested that we may as well kill ourselves now, yet there is so much to celebrate.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Carney stuffed up... again.....

The Raiders are faced with a tough decision, however the future of the club is the most important.

A decision must be made based on the players in the club and the management and Todd.

I find it to unfair for a situation to occur where the Raiders sack Carney and then he signs with another club, there is simply no point sacking him.

The Raiders must ensure that if he is sacked he is un-registered and cannot play again for quite a while, possibly a career out of public spot light could be his choice for a future.

If Carney chooses to take a career in Rugby League he needs to make some tough decisions. I belive the raiders must take the following action as it is not fair that the NRL bans him, there are many players with jail time in the NRL.

Leave Carney suspended until he is convicted and sentenced and if Jail is recommended then after he has served his suspension a decision must be made. Carney shoudl continue training with the club until it is time for a decisin to be made. I believe the Raiders must sit down with Carney and explain the situation. Possibly give him two options, leave the raiders and leave canberra and play for another club and change his entire life. Or second optionm, possibly sit out till the end of this season or a set amount of games and deducted money, and he must commit to the Raiders and grow up in life. He is clearly an immature yooung adult and needs to be punished, however it should not be at the Raiders expense. Let the other Raider players decide what to do and be held responsible for his future. We need Carney to stay wtih us and he needs to grow up as a person, maybe a talk with som eone like Laurie daley or Mal could do him a world of good.

But in the end if worst comes to worseee Campo and Dobbo is not going to be the worst halves combination.. we dont NEED him we just WANT him.

GROW UP TODD..

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Jason Williams spent time in jail, and we still signed him.

No way would I every hope to see any 20 year old deregistered. No offence to Carney, but I don't imagine he has a career in medicine to fall back on. I just don't know if he at 20 should lose his ability to earn for the next 10 years.

Having said it, he has to get his sh*t together. Massive fine, and enough community service that he doesn't have TIME to get behind the wheel of a car.

Why send him off to Bondi or Newcastle? Doesn't make sense.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tokyo_Raider said:
Jason Williams spent time in jail, and we still signed him.

No way would I every hope to see any 20 year old deregistered. No offence to Carney, but I don't imagine he has a career in medicine to fall back on. I just don't know if he at 20 should lose his ability to earn for the next 10 years.

Having said it, he has to get his sh*t together. Massive fine, and enough community service that he doesn't have TIME to get behind the wheel of a car.

Why send him off to Bondi or Newcastle? Doesn't make sense.

agreed
i stated elsewhere that if i were in charge of his punishment, id fine him 50k, have another 50k suspended that will go ontop of a fine for any other incidents
id give him 100 hours community service or more. And i would stand him down for FG until his Community service was completed, he would still have to attend every training session and community events and up the anti for his charity commitments

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
He could become anything he knows he can be. At 20 years of age he is still very young and it happens when you get into your early 20s. problem is with Carney he has been involved in theses offences more than the average person probably knows.
The police cannot take it easy on him this time around and the club should only have him training and not playing since he is still getting paid. Have him watching the games on the sideline so he can realize what he is going to miss out on.
The Club should not sack him and the NRL should not de register as he is still young and not wise enough to wake up to his mistakes.
Being unable to drive where he lives would be way to tempting as transport isnt like major citys like sydney and melbourne.
Police should give him time in lockup and the raiders should have him training just as hard as every one else.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
agreed
i stated elsewhere that if i were in charge of his punishment, id fine him 50k, have another 50k suspended that will go ontop of a fine for any other incidents
id give him 100 hours community service or more. And i would stand him down for FG until his Community service was completed, he would still have to attend every training session and community events and up the anti for his charity commitments

I'd have him back on the footy field as quick as possible in conjuction with the other points you raised Nick.

Training your guts out and knowing that you wont be playing on the weekend will do his mindset no good at all. Looking forward to a game on the weekend will assist in his rehab and also develop his football skills.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bay56 said:
I'd have him back on the footy field as quick as possible in conjuction with the other points you raised Nick.

Training your guts out and knowing that you wont be playing on the weekend will do his mindset no good at all. Looking forward to a game on the weekend will assist in his rehab and also develop his football skills.

by all means he will be playing footy, but he will be playing it in PL
Not FG. Once his community service is completed he would be considered for FG selection

Dutchy

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
by all means he will be playing footy, but he will be playing it in PL
Not FG. Once his community service is completed he would be considered for FG selection

mate run for PM

you will get my vote

Freddo

Juniors
todd should not be sacked

what gets me is that the club knows his licence is suspened wtf was steve irwin doin lettin him drive

of course he needs to get a round the club should appoint him a driver.

he should be fined spend the next 6 weeks in pl and then get picked only if form warrents

do commuinty service

but we should keep him at the club

Timbo

Staff member
Freddo said:
todd should not be sacked

what gets me is that the club knows his licence is suspened wtf was steve irwin doin lettin him drive

he should be fined spend the next 6 weeks in pl and then get picked only if form warrents

do commuinty service

but we should keep him at the club

How you can even attempt to blame anyone other than Carney himself for this defys belief.

We must keep Todd , we must also help him through this , remember he is human and only a boy , would your work sack you for driving offences? If he goes to jail then we must help him when he comes back out , no-one should stand alone in a time like this , yes pay the penalty he knows that hes done wrong, but its not something that should wreck his life or career. Another chance to be given.

shear_joy9

Coach
My first reaction was, stuff carney give him the sack.

But having thought about it, I wouldn't mind the Raiders sending him over to the UK for a few months ala Dobson.

A change of atmosphere and different surroundings could do him good.

I also rubbed my hands in delight at the thought of the odds for the Raiders to make the 8

Chachi

Bench
Freddo said:

Good idea dude - get done for DUI and score a chauffeur!

What's next? Bash your girlfriend and get given a hooker? (...not of the Withers variety)

I think he needs to face the Raiders leadership group in conjunction with management to hand out a sufficient penalty. Bringing in some legends like Mal and Laurie for a chat could also do him the world of good. If he then spits the dummy, has a cry and wants to go elsewhere (because life is so unfair) then show him the door. Yes it will hurt us in the short term, but our club will be far better off in the long.

Latest posts