What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney - Where to from here?

Bay56

First Grade
Chachi said:
Good idea dude - get done for DUI and score a chauffeur!

What's next? Bash your girlfriend and get given a hooker? (...not of the Withers variety)

I think he needs to face the Raiders leadership group in conjunction with management to hand out a sufficient penalty. Bringing in some legends like Mal and Laurie for a chat could also do him the world of good. If he then spits the dummy, has a cry and wants to go elsewhere (because life is so unfair) then show him the door. Yes it will hurt us in the short term, but our club will be far better off in the long.

Sorry Chachi but dont see how we could be better off in the long term.

Footballers are just that mate ... these same antics will continue until the NRL is soley responsible for handing out the punishment.

We have a number of players on our books that have been sacked from their previous clubs ... will we be better of without them ?

Carney is a valuable resource for this club ... we will be better off with his footballing talents ... his off-field behaviour will come good.

Evergreen

Juniors
Beavo said:
Canberra is now viewed by the Rugby League community as the place for outcast players, be it a fair or unfair label, it is what we have become. For as long as it exists, this image will damage the club everywhere from recruitment to publicity, something must be done to change the perception.

I know what can be done - win games and win the premiership. This can be done with Todd Carney in the team. Without him we are set back at least another 5 years.

Beavo said:
The answer is to sack Todd Carney. A message must go out to all current and future players that there is no place for behaviour like this.

An honourable stance, but we are kidding ourselves if we think that this sort of behaviour won't be apparent in any team full of young, high profile football players. Our management include members that have been around the game a very long time, and I am confident that they can deal with this appropriately (they certainly have to this point).

Beavo said:
This is a sad tale, but thankfully not the tragedy it could have become through the reckless actions. This is why we must judge him not as the promising footballer but as the person, the same way you or I would be judged if we did the same thing.

He will be judged - by the courts who have every right to throw the book at him. I'm pretty sure that if I was in his situation, I'd be entitled to think I could keep my job provided my performance was unaffected.

Chachi

Bench
Bay56 said:
Sorry Chachi but dont see how we could be better off in the long term.

Footballers are just that mate ... these same antics will continue until the NRL is soley responsible for handing out the punishment.

We have a number of players on our books that have been sacked from their previous clubs ... will we be better of without them ?

Carney is a valuable resource for this club ... we will be better off with his footballing talents ... his off-field behaviour will come good.
I guess what I was trying to say was that if Carney doesn't learn his lesson this time and the club keeps him on we could be setting ourselves up for one big crash and burn.

Can you imagine if we lose someone like Dobbo or Goodwin in the next year or two and then Todd does something else which ends up really being his last chance? Imagine what would happen to the club (and sponsors) then!

Best case scenario is we keep him on and he learns his lesson. Worse case scenario is unimagineable...

thickos

First Grade
The whole sorry saga looks like it has run its course in terms of decision-making - management have put together a proposal to rehabilitate him while keeping him at the club, subject to the board's approval.

I think it's the right move, he's a talent we need and he has to get his head right first and foremost.