What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casey aims to lengthen Sydney stay

Gronk

Staff member
Casey aims to lengthen Sydney stay

Steve Zemek | 31st May 2011

SCN_31-05-2011_BACK_PAGE_01_casey31%20xxxxxxxx%20NEW_t325.jpg
Casey McGuire has been playing at 6 for the Eels.

CASEY McGuire has been toughing it out on the selection fringes for as long as he can remember but he does not expect that to change anytime soon.
The former Kawana Dolphin admits he could be looking for a new home next year after Parramatta’s recent shopping spree netted the team a host of potential replacements.
The Eels recently picked up young playmakers Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts for the 2012 season, a move that could push McGuire – as well as the likes of Jeff Robson, Tom Humble and Anthony Mitchell – out the door.
McGuire has traditionally been seen as a utility or dummy half but seems to have found his niche at No.6 for the Eels in recent weeks, turning in another solid performance in the side’s 8-6 loss to Newcastle in difficult conditions on Saturday night.
The 31-year-old said he was hoping to play one final season in the NRL top grade but did not rule out taking up an approach from Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles head coach and his close mate Adam Mogg.
“I think there’s always going to be competition for spots,” he told The Daily from Sydney.
“I’ve been playing for 14 seasons and I’ve always been competing with someone. I think it makes you a better team.”
McGuire said he had his wife Samantha, who both hail from the Coast, hoped to return home following the end of his playing career.
He and Mogg were teammates at French-based Super League side Les Catalans and still speak regularly.
He said he was giving serious consideration to Mogg’s offer to play in the Intrust Super Cup but was waiting to see if the Eels came to the table with a contract extension.
“ADAM and I talk a fair bit and (playing for the Sea Eagles) is something we’ve spoken about,” he said.
“At this stage I’m looking for another contract with Parramatta, that’s my number one goal, to have one more year in the NRL. We’ll see what happens,” he added.
McGuire moved into the No.6 position after out-of-form five-eighth Daniel Mortimer was sent for a spell in the NSW Cup.
Since then McGuire has looked comfortable, playing a big hand in the side’s thumping of the Sharks last Monday and leading the side admirably in the heartbreaking loss to the Knights on Saturday.
“I’m enjoying it, it’s my favourite position,” McGuire said of play in the halves.
“I haven’t really played there for three-and- a-half years. I’m a bit rusty but I hope I can play there for a few more games.”
CASEY’S CLUBS
Casey McGuire’s career stats.
Born: Nambour, January 24, 1980
Junior Club: Kawana Dolphins
Height: 184cm
Weight: 91kg
1998: Parramatta (2 games)
2001-06: Broncos (115 games)
2007-10: Les Catalans (98 games)
2011-present: Parramatta (9 games)
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...aims-to-lengthen-sydney-stay-coast-star-mcgu/

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we should keep him for depth in case Sandow or Roberts get injured

The Omen

Juniors
Casey is the best option we have for 5/8 or least the back up next year so he should definately be a kept at the club for another year or two
If Roberts is not back to top form come next year with not having alot of NRL games this season its another reason to have Casey around

eel01s

Bench
Agreed, we should resign him for another year. Great option for either 5/8 or hooker, and possibly even centre at a pinch.

Gronk

Staff member
Agreed, we should resign him for another year. Great option for either 5/8 or hooker, and possibly even centre at a pinch.

I dare say that Casey could pull off a decent game in any position other than wing or prop. Bargain.

Bigfella

Coach
He's currently our best 6 7 or 9 (assuming Jarryd stays at 1) and should be signed for next year.

Can fill all 3.

The Omen

Juniors
i'll go out on a limb here and say that of the entire backline he has been the most consistant and has rarely looked uncomfortable in any game

natheel

Coach
well he has clearly stated he wants to stay here and im sure just by his form this season we would be stupid to let him go in favour of 2 guys coming in who could fail (more so roberts)

even casey at hooker is a good thing for us. just having him in our team is good, hes an asset to the team and has proved that in 10 games he has played this year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Casey player well against a crap Sharks team, and did bugger all against the Knights

I would think SK would want to see what he can do between now and the end of the season before making an offer to extend his contract

I'd like to see what he can do against teams like the Dragons before getting too carried away with his form against the Sharks

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd give him another run. He's proved he's still up to NRL standard and could play 6, 7, 9 and fill the no 14 jersey perfectly.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd keep him. Starting hooker for me, and can slot into 6 should Roberts be in shite form

Craig Johnston

First Grade
ben roberts can continue rotting in nsw cup if maguire keeps playing like he is.

why is there an assumption roberts is first dibs for the 6 next season? he's a reserve grader atm ffs.

Latest posts