What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cash stapped Cronulla Sharks seek club merger

CRONULLA-Sutherland Leagues Club yesterday threw itself open to amalgamation in a move that could signal deeply troubled waters for the cash-strapped Sharks.
While Sharks chairman Damian Irvine last night played down the shock move to publicly advertise for partners, club industry sources were left deeply concerned for the future of the NRL's shakiest franchise.

Sharks officials earlier this week contacted ClubsNSW, which yesterday invited its member organisations to provide Cronulla with "expressions of interest" about a "possible amalgamation".

Cronulla had planned to tell its 18,000 members on Monday, but The Daily Telegraph discovered the development after obtaining the ClubsNSW circular from a rival NRL club official.

"ClubsNSW has been notified by the Cronulla-Sutherland Leagues Club Ltd that it is seeking expressions of interest from registered clubs in the same region with a view to exploring the possibility of an amalgamation," the circular read.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"The seeking of expressions of interest from registered clubs at this time is consistent with the club's plans as outlined at the most recent AGM to explore and research all possible models, structures and commercial options in order to present them to members in the near future."

Cronulla's survival has been a problem child for the NRL since the club was forced to ask it's financier, St George Bank, for an extra $500,000 to pay wages in December 2008.

It's understood the Leagues Club has continued to be hit hard by raised poker machine taxes - a common affliction which has resulted in 16 licensed premises across the state applying for amalgamation this year alone.

None, however, have yet found a partner.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...gues-club-merger/story-e6frexnr-1225929073475

Squae

Juniors
So sorry for the genius question, BUT, does this mean we are hitting up teams such as St George to merge OR are we looking for people to buy into the devlopment plan, also ownership of the actual Sharkies land?

ratsack2

Juniors
I say we float the club and offer it tithe members sh*t 18,000 people should be able to raise some serious cash blimey at only $100 each there is 1.8 million
I would tip in a grand ifit kept us in

Hughesy215

Juniors
Im still praying for some old rich guys will to read.

"I leave my fortune to my beloved cronulla sharks"

Eion

First Grade
So sorry for the genius question, BUT, does this mean we are hitting up teams such as St George to merge OR are we looking for people to buy into the devlopment plan, also ownership of the actual Sharkies land?
No to the merger Squae. It's Sharkies not the football club.

It reads like Tradies having multiple venues, which may not be a bad idea if done right. ie having Sharkies brand in other clubs?? Not real sure - I guess it all depends on the details of what "amalgamation" means.

jackal

Juniors
lol - poor attempt at a flame. You don't understand the process yet put have made yourself look stupid from your comment.

Amalgamate the leageus club and this business decision only confirms the sharks future existance not only in the NRL, but to remain at their home ground.

No merge, no relocation, more cash = stong future. All from amalgamating and strengthening one entity, it ensures the survival of the other....long term!

To coin a phrase....

Flame Thrower said:
HA..HA..HA....Gota love the irony

:lol:

jc155776

Coach
From what I have heard the Leagues club has always been sustainable on its own with the Football club being a drain on it.

I am guessing this expression of interest will see us unite with another club to become stronger and be able to continue supporting the Football club side of things.

Better to seek expressions now while the Club isn't too weak so we have a position of power to bargain with should another club show interst.

azzah72

Bench
I heard they are actually trying to franchise the sharkies throughout the shire, get a few more clubs with the sharkies name on it in cronulla and sutherland.

I heard the Sus club in sutho is the first one and there looking to get something in cronulla, even if it is a sharks inspired sports bar or something.

Cool idea

ill tell you this...about that

In Canberra..the Raiders have 3 clubs with their brand on it. Gunghalin, another on the northside and the western club. they also have Q towm leagues.

they also have a 4th club in canberra that does not have any visible ties to ruby leage at all. this is in mawson. theyve had great success over the years with their outdoor area and music lounge.

and thats ignoring the fact that the raiders hol all their post game stuff at the dixon tradies as per their sponsorship deal with the CFMEU.

we should have been all over this from the f**king get go.

theres this game. its been played by everyone....monopoly.

you get the most hotels and sh*t...you win.

it would only be a smart move to team up with other clubs within the area to

A. spread the brand
b. increase revenue

c.

say we combine well with 2 or 3 other clubs as a pure leagues club business standpoint. a stronger club club with partnerships would only help gtting that land developed IMO.

or am i being to optomistic?

Hooper

Juniors
RCB

I like what you are saying. The Raiders appear to be on a good thing. We can't keep going the way we are or we won't have a footy team to support. Would clubs such as Tradies, the Catholic Club at Menai or some of the RSL's in the area be interested? You will have to excuse my ignorance about potential 'partner' clubs as I don't live in the Cronulla-Sutherland area.

jackal

Juniors
RCB
Would clubs such as Tradies, the Catholic Club at Menai or some of the RSL's in the area be interested? You will have to excuse my ignorance about potential 'partner' clubs as I don't live in the Cronulla-Sutherland area.
Tradies happens to have $50m in net assets.

Of those assets $10m is cash and equivalents.

** starts joining the dots **

Inferno

Coach
What benefits are there for clubs and hotels in the shire for merging with the Sharks leagues club. Like what do they get out of it?

Latest posts