What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

catch 22

b.bear

Juniors
IF the tigers make it through to the 2010 finals or even dare i ask ,the top 4 (which is not beyond us) does that give THE EGO another extension on his contract. If so then i will be cursing and praying and whatever else i have to do to stop the west tigers from making the top 4/8 next year so as to derail any plans the EGO has for season 2011(meaning new contract)...

the best scenario for our sanity will be for the(and I hate to think it will have to come to this) tigers too lose the first 10 games of the year ,and for the EGO to fall on his own sword and,taking his support team with him,leaving OUR team to battle for the rest of the year for respect knowing there will be light at the end of the tunnel (2011) and to put this bad dream behind them/us.............or he could do us all a favour and F**k off now!

sando88

Not a Moderator
i rather make top 8 and resign sheens. a new coach does not guarantee sucess

zombat

Juniors
unfortunately. if we came last and didn't win, the tigers board are just as likely to still give sheens a extension because in rd 16 he found out moltzen isnt a fullback, moves him to half and we win 6 in a row and finish 9th or 10th.

Take wins when we can give it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd begin serious talks with Nathan Brown as of the end of the Superleague season.

Someone new with no affiliation with any of the players or board, or the clubs.

Someone who has had some level of success (Lets face it, he's not exactly a failure, and what he's done with Huddersfield is nothing short of miraculous)

His biggest hurdle at St.george was having little to no control over how the team was run, signings, retention etc.

It's pretty clear how astute he is in this regard with what he's done at Huddersfield, and it's abundantly obvious that he'd have the freedom to do the same here.

If you ask me, it's a match made in heaven that suits both parties perfectly.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I'd begin serious talks with Nathan Brown as of the end of the Superleague season.

Someone new with no affiliation with any of the players or board, or the clubs.

Someone who has had some level of success (Lets face it, he's not exactly a failure, and what he's done with Huddersfield is nothing short of miraculous)

His biggest hurdle at St.george was having little to no control over how the team was run, signings, retention etc.

It's pretty clear how astute he is in this regard with what he's done at Huddersfield, and it's abundantly obvious that he'd have the freedom to do the same here.

If you ask me, it's a match made in heaven that suits both parties perfectly.

Not a bad idea- I dont have anything against Brown and I reckon his performance at Huddersfield has answered a lot of the criticism he copped when at Saints. At least worth a phone call to see if he is interested.

aids

Bench
you're joking if you think brown is a better option that sheens.

from established Coaches, i would look at Lang and Murray.

and to be honest, i would like to see Sheens see out his contract, but have Mark O'Neil and John Skandalis given the keys to the preimer league sides and have them both work in taking over the coaching roles for First Grade when Sheens leaves.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Aidsey- I'm not advocating Brown over anyone else. As I said in another post yonks ago- until we know the field how can anyone comment on their suitability. I was commenting more on Brown not being judged solely by the Saints experience like MU proposed- whether Brown would be interested, what opposition is out there (and wants the job), and at what stage all this would occur-well, that is way down the track yet.

I'm pretty sure we are stuck with Teflon until end of next season- why wouldnt that ego ridden FW not seek to extend his baleful influence over the club too the last possible moment? I dont see the bugger walking early nor WT calling his bluff either. The only thing I'd like to see is an early declaration by WT board (now please) that Teflon will not be renewed and let those interested submit their names.

super_coach

First Grade
Another club will be stupid enough to pick him up at the end of 2010. I can see Souths trying to lure him to redfern if Taylor fails to deliver next year---Iam praying JT has a shocker of a season although highly unlikly when you see the team they are going to put on the field next year. They will have the best pack bar none in the league.

sando88

Not a Moderator
will sum people realise its da players not the coach. sheens knows moriss aint halfback but it his last game so who cares

aids

Bench
how many watersheds does sheens have after this year?
and what is a watershed?

sando88

Not a Moderator
madunit n all other haters, name a coach we hav had whos better then sheens

Tiger Hawk

Bench
That isn't the issue though is it. We're not arguing whether Sheens is better than Pearce or Lamb (most would say he is), we're asking whether he's the right man moving forward. He's had substantially the same squad for 3 straight years yet we've seen very little tangible improvement. Benji has developed, as has Galloway, Gibbs (yes, he has) & Lawrence. The rest have either stagnated, gone backwards or gone elsewhere. On-field results are no better than what they were every single year except for 2005. They're two crucial measuring sticks when assessing a coach - player development and results. For mine, he comes up short of a pass mark in both areas.

N.C.

Juniors
I predict it will play out more like this:

Sheens will recruit a big name forward in the off season. Perhaps this Bargearse feller, or maybe we'll get Petero now that he's played for the Panthers and is getting on a bit... I don't know how he'll pull it off, but I reckon it's on the cards. He's the Aussie coach now, after all. Then he'll faff about with the team for 25 weeks or so, and somehow manage (through no fault of his own) to get us a home final. We'll win it, and make our way through to the prelim final... During these last weeks, the WT board will start making some noises about a new contract for our most successful coach ever. I mean, it's only fair after all... And who else could we get, if not King Tim... But Sheens will announce his retirement on the eve of the grand final... We'll send him out a winner, and all will be forgiven. Even the disgruntled fans will reveal their long hidden soft spots for the cuddly old feller and his Wests Tigers cap, and we'll admit that we knew all along he was our man. There wont be a dry eye in the house... As he steps up to give Benji one last kiss goodnight, and shake hands with all the players whose heads he's messed with for the last ten years (they'll have Skando organise a reuinion, see...) he'll suffer and unlikely heart attack and die on the spot. Benny Elias will auction off the body for charity, pay overs for it himself, and have it sent to a taxidermist to be stuffed, mounted and put on permanent display at the new Tigers clubhouse, coming to a suburb near you!

sando88

Not a Moderator
tht also aint the point. we cant just sack him. we dont hav better replacement

sando88

Not a Moderator
exactly if we dont extend it we gotta have sum1 else in mind already not just hope sum joe blow turns up and wants da job

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I think it's been made pretty obvious there are quite a few candidates out there, and we have time on our side considering Sheens has a year left to run. John Lang & Graeme Murray probably aren't interested but both are as qualified as Sheens. There are a host of young, promising assistant coaches that might jump at the chance of a FG gig. Then there's left-field appointments.

Point is, there ARE options out there. The club needs to be proactive and decide Sheens' future early (i.e. by December). We then have a full year to canvass potential coaches before making a decision.

Sitting on your hands and wondering whether they'll be as good as Sheens is a dumb-way of looking at it. It's akin to playing John Morris in the halves for 2 & 1/2 years because you weren't sure whether a young half would be as good if given the opportunity. You will never know the answer without taking the risk. But after 4 consecutive years of failure, 3 of which have come with substantially the same squad, it's a risk worth taking.