What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talons

Juniors
Lets get back on track please, this is a Central Coast Bears bid page!

Spoke to Joe Hockey on the weekend who confirmed what Flo and others in the bid team have told me.....media reports are largely a smokescreen, generated by a minority of Sydney Clubs and their sympathisers at NRL headquarters who do not want the Bears in because they fear competition and that the Bears may weaken their clubs.

These anti-Bears know however that the decision will be made by the IC, not anyone on these forums, or the Clubs, or the NRL sub-Gallop, so the intention of these media pieces is to dispirit/disillusion potential corporate supporters and thus weaken the bid. Ignorance = fear, in other words.

Unfortunately, its not working! More good ownership & sponsorship news in coming weeks....

Its the Bears intention to alleviate any fears Manly (& possibly the Roosters) may have by proving they will add value to these clubs and the NRL, not diminish them. Once these Clubs/NRL and TV Execs (yes, TV) see their value rising with the Bears back, opposition will vanish as they are a long term zero risk strategy, which cannot be said of any other contender.

As to how they will be able to do this, I was privy to a briefing last week and its impressive...hope one day the bid document is released publicly so I can share the love!

Just a quick question.

If the Independent Commission has the final word on expansion...why would the Bears need to curry favour with any other club.

By stating that Manly and possibly the Roosters have to be placated, are you saying that the Independent Commission...is not truly Independent ?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Spoke to Joe Hockey on the weekend

I would have thought Joe would be flat out trying to find that $70 Billion dollars in the budget that he is going to save us then worrying about the Bears...

media reports are largely a smokescreen, generated by a minority of Sydney Clubs and their sympathisers at NRL headquarters who do not want the Bears in because they fear competition and that the Bears may weaken their clubs.

Its the Bears intention to alleviate any fears Manly (& possibly the Roosters) may have by proving they will add value to these clubs and the NRL, not diminish them.

Never knew that Manly & the Roosters have so much control over what the media reports...

I thought the Roosters would have exercised some of this control regarding the Todd Carney issue...

Once these Clubs/NRL and TV Execs (yes, TV) see their value rising with the Bears back, opposition will vanish as they are a long term zero risk strategy, which cannot be said of any other contender.

Its a matter of whether the TV Values rise more with other contenders..

As to how they will be able to do this, I was privy to a briefing last week and its impressive...hope one day the bid document is released publicly so I can share the love!

"its all in the bid"....

Goddo

Bench
Just a quick question.

If the Independent Commission has the final word on expansion...why would the Bears need to curry favour with any other club.

By stating that Manly and possibly the Roosters have to be placated, are you saying that the Independent Commission...is not truly Independent ?

I think its just a case that the Bears bid has realised its relationship with the Sydney market will be a big issue when they take the bid to the NRL, and are doing everything they can to improve their position.

Beowulf

Juniors
I think its just a case that the Bears bid has realised its relationship with the Sydney market will be a big issue when they take the bid to the NRL, and are doing everything they can to improve their position.

Agree it will important for the Bears to establish they will help, not hinder, existing teams. They realised this from the beginning as originally, pre any talk of an IC, they thought they would have to go through the NRL & Clubs rather than the IC.

Beowulf

Juniors
Just a quick question.

They do, but the Bears are trying to tick off every single box - its obviously a stronger case if they can back up a claim they will assist clubs, not hurt them.

Re Manly & the Roosters, they just happen to be the two clubs on the periphery of the Bears area in the Sydney catchment....if we can alay their fears, the IC will no doubt feel more positively inclined to the bid.

As much as they will be independent, I agree they would be very brave to bring in a new team if they thought it would damage existing teams to any great extent. I suppose thats why I think the Ipswich model has a greater chance of success than the Bombers model.

Beowulf

Juniors
Never knew that Manly & the Roosters have so much control over what the media reports...

Its a matter of whether the TV Values rise more with other contenders..

Manly and the Roosters probably have a greater influence than any other two clubs.

Disagree re TV - what matters is that the combination of all factors, including TV values, add up to the strongest bid.

For example, adding a team just because it adds to TV is pointless - say Gold Coast falls, who were brought in ahead of the Bears last time on the back of 3 or 4 $1 shelf companies iso the $70mill Singo guaranteed.

All the damage done to League, costs etc for what benefit? All they've done is deny the CC a gold-plated succesful team, hindering this area as well.

You must demonstrate a business model sustainable long term as well as add value.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you keep putting the GC up as a reason for Bears to be brought in. With all due respect the Titans are not doing bad for a new team with no additional set up funding like most other codes get!
Great stadium
Great facilities
Generally held their own on the field (certainly performed better than the Suns are showing)
Crowds higher than most (even this woeful year they are still better than 10 other teams)

There has been rumours of financial strife but aside from the early payments I haven't seen much other evidence.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
you keep putting the GC up as a reason for Bears to be brought in. With all due respect the Titans are not doing bad for a new team with no additional set up funding like most other codes get!
Great stadium
Great facilities
Generally held their own on the field (certainly performed better than the Suns are showing)
Crowds higher than most (even this woeful year they are still better than 10 other teams)

There has been rumours of financial strife but aside from the early payments I haven't seen much other evidence.

Nice summary of the Titans situation here.

I think the position of the Titans is proof that we need another team in that area. It's a rugby league mad area.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
And the Central Coast isn't?

The Central Coast is a Rugby League stronghold and will remain that way for a long time.

On the Central Coast Bears Bid there are some great advantages this bid has. Re-connections to the North Shore, existing fan base, corporate connections and deals, arguably the most sponsored, people have showed with their cash what they want and have became members.

There is also some disadvantages, It won't bring in as much TV dollar as South East Queensland and Western Australia would. It also will not help the competition become more national.

I hope TV dollar is not all what it comes down too but it will play a part and it is likely that the Central Coast will miss out on this round. It is unfortunate, the Central Coast are probably the hardest working bid team and have a great brand in the colours and name.

A great story on the Central Coast Bears in todays Rugby League Week page 14.

The Central Coast Bears resoundingly won the RLW poll with a 46% vote majority.
the other contenders were Perth 23%,
Central Qld 10%,
PNG 7%,
Brisbane Bombers 6%,
Wellington 4% and
Western Corridor Qld 4%..

* Also voted in favour of expansion with a whopping 86% of the vote.

* Bluetongue Stadium also came in 2nd "What is your favourite ground to watch footy at ?", with 22% of the vote, Suncorp Stadium took out top spot with 27%.

Of course none of this actually matters but it's nice to know that the majority of the voting public (for this poll) want the Central Coast Bears in.:)

Go the BEARS!!!

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I see from the majority of your post you are from the view point that the world is against the Bears. That is fair enough and continue to do so but i would stop short of claiming that areas in better locations then the Central Coast bid won't pull more TV money. I'm sure the other bids won't pull in much more but the NRL has a duty to care to its current clubs before it worries about bringing in more clubs and with News limited gone it can do so.

Maybe you should direct that anger towards News limited and not the NRL.

The NRL is News Limited.
The NRL should show the same duty of care it did in 1999 - none. They showed a duty of care to superleague clubs and the rest could go hang.

They should have another "criteria" - a genuine one this time - and do a full review of the financials of each club.

Surely that is the only fair way to determine who should be in and who should be out.

Otherwise - it's just protectionism of weak clubs and jobs for teh boys - all over again.

Bro Bear

Juniors
A great story on the Central Coast Bears in todays Rugby League Week page 14.

The Central Coast Bears resoundingly won the RLW poll with a 46% vote majority.
the other contenders were Perth 23%,
Central Qld 10%,
PNG 7%,
Brisbane Bombers 6%,
Wellington 4% and
Western Corridor Qld 4%..

* Also voted in favour of expansion with a whopping 86% of the vote.

* Bluetongue Stadium also came in 2nd "What is your favourite ground to watch footy at ?", with 22% of the vote, Suncorp Stadium took out top spot with 27%.

Of course none of this actually matters but it's nice to know that the majority of the voting public (for this poll) want the Central Coast Bears in.:)

Go the BEARS!!!

Yes, and by that vote that is what should happen - first two teams e.g 2015 Bears and WA. 2018 CQLD then PNG or Bris Brown Bombers.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Yes, and by that vote that is what should happen - first two teams e.g 2015 Bears and WA. 2018 CQLD then PNG or Bris Brown Bombers.

Absolutely.
however - beware the unemployed ex-ARL official who hooks up with one of the bids then calls in some favours.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
The NRL is News Limited.

Wrong, News ltd own 50% of the NRL

The NRL should show the same duty of care it did in 1999 - none. They showed a duty of care to superleague clubs and the rest could go hang.

They should have another "criteria" - a genuine one this time - and do a full review of the financials of each club.

Surely that is the only fair way to determine who should be in and who should be out.

Otherwise - it's just protectionism of weak clubs and jobs for teh boys - all over again.

very one eyed view.

firechild

First Grade
The NRL is News Limited.

The big difference is the NRL are not trying to downsize like they were in 1999. There is absolutely no reason to set any criteria for existing clubs.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
I could find the Brisbane thread so here we go anyway:

Brissie No.2 RL team upbeat despite poll

Brisbane Bombers expansion bid co-pilot Craig Davison says being ranked behind PNG in a rugby league magazine poll on expansion sides is hardly a hit for his consortium's chances.
Rugby League Week's 2011 "Fans' Poll" asked readers which teams should be included if the new NRL commission agrees to expand in 2013 or beyond.
Central Coast polled best with a decisive 46 per cent followed by Perth (23 per cent), Central Queensland (10 per cent) PNG (seven per cent), Brisbane Bombers (six per cent).
Wellington and Queensland western corridor each pulled four per cent of the vote.
"Like some other consortiums, we didn't go out and tell our million friends to vote on the poll," Davison told AAP.
"I was forwarded some e-mails from friends on the Central Queensland data base urging fans to vote on these things.
"We've got to worry about our business plan, and our business model and impress the people that matter most which are (NRL boss) David Gallop and (newly-appointed Commission chairman) John Grant.
"That (magazine) poll doesn't reflect where we feel we are positioned in the battle for expansion at all.
"It's a poll done by a good publication, which I read, but which can be orchestrated or manipulated by numbers.
"You have to respect the rugby league fans out there but you've also got to put into perspective that the rugby league fans voting in this instance are a minuscule percentage of the total fan base."
Davison said the only poll the Bombers wanted to win was the one when the Commission made its final decision on expansion.
"We're really excited about how things are shaping up," he said.
"We're just finishing off our bid documentation and it looks fantastic.
"We have to wait and see what criteria the NRL have got but we're really excited about putting our business plan in front of everybody once the Commission calls for tenders."
Despite the RLW Poll results, the general feeling is the Brisbane Bombers and Perth remain the favourites to be added to the competition either in 2013 or later.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8289751

aarondoyle

Juniors
Telling 1 million friends seems like good marketing to me... Also over exaggerating like that makes it sound like The Bears have massive support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts