What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is right though that these public polls are pretty pointless.

They are voted on by an uninformed public, who don't have to concider the wide variety of issues that the actual governing body will have to concider (like TV rights, financial viability, Junior/state league structures, advertising revenue, impact on existing clubs, et cetera).

All it proves is:

a) there are lots of old North Sydney Bears fans around who want their club back, and that they have good brand recognition/association on the Central Coast (which ties into the next point)

b) regional perochial areas like PNG and Central Queensland get a disproportionate percent of the vote from their population base

c) the new brands/clubs don't have an existing fanbase to leverage support from (but that means nothing, you only have to look back to 2007 and the Titans to see that)

Good for a bit of publicity for bids like CC, PNG and CQ, but hardly meaningful in any way. The poll(public) is(are) dumb. Perth, PNG and NZ2 (if it exists) are fighting for licence 17, and for various reasons Perth is the run away favourite. Central Queensland, Brisbane, Ipswich and Central Coast are fighting for licence 18.

When CQLD won a poll a few months ago they had huge reception, articles, many comments etc. Even Craig Davison's tone was like "we'll make sure we'll top these polls eventually and prove our public worth/support". Now because the CC wins another one, the tone is all different?

I wonder, had Brisbane Bombers won this would the same replies apply to them? Of course not! Because people like you crave for the day that a pointless poll goes for the bid you consider most special. I noted within the same post that it didn't mean anything, so why people have to continually bring up, like it's their duty to bust our bubble I don't know.

We keep winning these polls because we have fans and support. We have fans and support therefore we have consumers. We have consumers therefore they'll provide influx into NRL capital. For a team that doesn't exist, for a bid that's apparently no chance, we keep surging forward. We keep building our resources, equity and sustainability. We keep growing our support base, we keep initiating work into the communities. For a bid that had apparently reached it's apex early last year, we keep evolving and shoring up what needs to be done.

Sure the poll means nothing, just like the on coming DT one which we'll also win. But if anything it's reassurance to the CCBears bid themselves that our fans haven't given up, we aren't quitters and that provides the extra motivation for our bid team to do the absolute best they can and beyond.

Go the BEARS!!

Goddo

Bench
LOL Ronny, relax.

These polls are pointless - if CC didn't win them there would be something seriously wrong with the Bears bid (they would have to somehow alienate their fans for that to happen).

Do you genuinely believe that PNG (who won't be ready until 2017 at the soonest, and are now focussing on a Qld Cup side) or New Zealand 2 (who have yet to do anything, yet have more of a shot than PNG) stand a chance against Perth (with its TV timeslot, OzTam ratings, 2 hour delay, 4th biggest Australasian city, mining boom)?

Licence 17 is all done and dusted. The Perth bid will have to do something monumentally stupid/destructive to fail now.

Licence 18 is down to debate. If ecconomic factors are the driving force it will be one of the SE Queensland bids, which is why they are favourites despite poll results. However, the commission might decide a different set of criteria which sees Central Queensland or Broken Hill come from nowhere to win it. Bombers/Jets are in front heading into the straight, but there is still a way to go.

betcats

Referee
LOL Ronny, relax.

These polls are pointless - if CC didn't win them there would be something seriously wrong with the Bears bid (they would have to somehow alienate their fans for that to happen).

Do you genuinely believe that PNG (who won't be ready until 2017 at the soonest, and are now focussing on a Qld Cup side) or New Zealand 2 (who have yet to do anything, yet have more of a shot than PNG) stand a chance against Perth (with its TV timeslot, OzTam ratings, 2 hour delay, 4th biggest Australasian city, mining boom)?

Licence 17 is all done and dusted. The Perth bid will have to do something monumentally stupid/destructive to fail now.

Licence 18 is down to debate. If ecconomic factors are the driving force it will be one of the SE Queensland bids, which is why they are favourites despite poll results. However, the commission might decide a different set of criteria which sees Central Queensland or Broken Hill come from nowhere to win it. Bombers/Jets are in front heading into the straight, but there is still a way to go.

My uncle lives and works in PNG. He has to live in a building with guards armed with AK 47s. Its violent as f**k over there and they dont really like white people. They're atleast 15 years away IMO.

Goddo

Bench
When CQLD won a poll a few months ago they had huge reception, articles, many comments etc. Even Craig Davison's tone was like "we'll make sure we'll top these polls eventually and prove our public worth/support". Now because the CC wins another one, the tone is all different?
No, I think the bids obsessing over these polls is a waste of time and energy. In terms of public engagement, signing up members/building a database of potential fans, and doing community work (which all the bids have done to varing degrees) is far more useful than a pointless poll. In this regard, the Bears bid is miles in front. No one has ever disputed that.

The bids should all be entirely focused on signing sponsors, improving their financial models, and building brand recognition (which the Bears have moved beyond thanks largely to their built in fan base). Leave the guff like polls asside.

I wonder, had Brisbane Bombers won this would the same replies apply to them? Of course not! Because people like you crave for the day that a pointless poll goes for the bid you consider most special. I noted within the same post that it didn't mean anything, so why people have to continually bring up, like it's their duty to bust our bubble I don't know.

Well, if the Bombers had won this poll it would be significant, mainly because it would indicate a huge and unlikely shift in public opinion in those who bother to vote. The Bears should not lose these polls ever, given the North Sydney Bears fanbase they have.

People bring up the fact that they are pointless becuase some try to read too much into it. There is only one poll that counts, and that is the Independent Commissioners.

We keep winning these polls because we have fans and support. We have fans and support therefore we have consumers. We have consumers therefore they'll provide influx into NRL capital. For a team that doesn't exist, for a bid that's apparently no chance, we keep surging forward. We keep building our resources, equity and sustainability. We keep growing our support base, we keep initiating work into the communities. For a bid that had apparently reached it's apex early last year, we keep evolving and shoring up what needs to be done.
The bears existing fan base is the bids biggest strength. Which is why the Bears shouldn't ever lose these polls, as I said.
Sure the poll means nothing, just like the on coming DT one which we'll also win. But if anything it's reassurance to the CCBears bid themselves that our fans haven't given up, we aren't quitters and that provides the extra motivation for our bid team to do the absolute best they can and beyond.

Go the BEARS!!
Yes, the DT poll will also be a pointless exercise, and yes the Bears should win it, but not just the expansion questions.

A lot of the questions will have emotive language, sort of like "do you love pupies and hate traffic?" Then they will report that the public think the NSW Government is crap on road infrastructure and call for the transport minister's head. True News Ltd journalism.

Goddo

Bench
My uncle lives and works in PNG. He has to live in a building with guards armed with AK 47s. Its violent as f**k over there and they dont really like white people. They're atleast 15 years away IMO.
I know, I've been to PM. Like a few S Pacific countries, the place is a wasteland. I don't think PNG will ever have an NRL side. Lots of youth to tap for players though, and a competitive test side.

"2018" is the PNG bids target date, which pretty much rules them out if expansion is happening in 2014-15. It won't happen.

NZ 2/Wellington/Christchurch is next, and no one knows if they even have a bid at all.

Then there is Perth, with all its advantages.

betcats

Referee
I know, I've been to PM. Like a few S Pacific countries, the place is a wasteland. I don't think PNG will ever have an NRL side. Lots of youth to tap for players though, and a competitive test side.

"2018" is the PNG bids target date, which pretty much rules them out if expansion is happening in 2014-15. It won't happen.

NZ 2/Wellington/Christchurch is next, and no one knows if they even have a bid at all.

We do need to find a way to tap into the talent over there. Each NRL team should be given an are to try and help develop the game, even if its just sending some equipment over and some visits.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Goddo
Stop pretending to be objective.
You spout reams of rubbish all with the same ending - it won't be the CC Bears.
You even have PNG ahead of the CC Bears for the 17th licence.

Smells like worried Manly scum to me.

Goddo

Bench
Goddo
Stop pretending to be objective.
You spout reams of rubbish all with the same ending - it won't be the CC Bears.
:lol: its not pretending, I am being objective Ronny. At first I actually backed the Bears bid, but that was when Cronulla were against the wall, and I have said throughout that expanding 70kms up the road is not really expanding. Expanding requires going to new markets and growing the game.

You think what I say is some sort of conspiracy, or a news ltd/NRL conspiracy. Yet you fail to see beyond your own narrow self interest.

You even have PNG ahead of the CC Bears for the 17th licence.
PNG won't even be competing against the Bears, so I don't know what you are on about.

Club 17 ("non-heartland" bid) will be one of
Perth/PNG/NZ2(if it exists)
- anywhere outside NSW & QLD that wants to bid
- Perth is the only one thats viable, so they are a shoe in.

Club 18 ("heartland" bid) one of
Central Queensland/Brisbane/Ipswich/Central Coast
- anywhere in NSW & QLD
- TV rights, advertising and congestion in Sydney make the SE Queensland bids favourites.

Smells like worried Manly scum to me.
I'm a Dragons fan. You know, the club that secured its future by merging with Illawarra. They won the comp last year? Ben Hornby is the captain? Ring any bells?
I want whats best for Rugby League as a whole. The Bears would be nice to have back, but not at the expense of the games future/growth.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why do Bears fans rely on personal attacks for their critics?

The people that do not agree with them only ever discuss the merits of the various bids..

Attack the message.. not the messenger folks!

Goddo

Bench
I don't mind them making personal attacks - it makes the arguement they are making weaker, and easier for me.

AuDragon

Juniors
Why do Bears fans rely on personal attacks for their critics?

The people that do not agree with them only ever discuss the merits of the various bids..

Attack the message.. not the messenger folks!
That's generally a sign of fear or anger when they know the opinion or report is right. They won't adress the issue, but will deflect by attacking either the poster or something the poster stands for...

rednblack

Juniors
There is absolutely no reason to set any criteria for existing clubs.

So you're saying that sustainability, a junior presence, playing facilities, training facilities, on-going financial viability and independence, club membership numbers, club sponsorship and guarantees are all completely irrelevant? Should we go on with this list...?

Every employee in just about every field must meet KPIs in their chosen vocation - why should a licensee of an NRL franchise not be required to meet a requisite standard to maintain his license? If an organization applies for a government grant, for instance, they must prove that they can use the funds in an appropriate manner. The NRL GIVES clubs money (as it should), but the NRL should also be able to exercise their RIGHT to impose a set of minimum requirements on the clubs, which must be met or exceeded in order to continue in the premier competition.

This idea would surely scare the pants of several current NRL club CEOs and their respective boards.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So you're saying that sustainability, a junior presence, playing facilities, training facilities, on-going financial viability and independence, club membership numbers, club sponsorship and guarantees are all completely irrelevant? Should we go on with this list...?

Every employee in just about every field must meet KPIs in their chosen vocation - why should a licensee of an NRL franchise not be required to meet a requisite standard to maintain his license? If an organization applies for a government grant, for instance, they must prove that they can use the funds in an appropriate manner. The NRL GIVES clubs money (as it should), but the NRL should also be able to exercise their RIGHT to impose a set of minimum requirements on the clubs, which must be met or exceeded in order to continue in the premier competition.

This idea would surely scare the pants of several current NRL club CEOs and their respective boards.

The idea of KPI's scared the crap out of Tim Sheens a couple of years ago at the Tigers...

He was smart though and managed to get rid of the CEO instead...

M2D2

Bench
CC bears is the fan favourite
Perth is the favourite of people seeing dollar signs while claiming "health of the game"
Bombers is the favourite of Davidson.

Beowulf

Juniors
http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bears-work-on-three-year-plan-to-enter-nrl/

Bears work on three-year plan to enter NRL

4f863c419636dce0dd9f72bd0cf6528e_resized.jpg

Greg Florimo with Bears supporters (L-R back) Todd Nelson , Alan McLoughlin , Karin Avvenevole and Ryan Sansom, with Blaine and Kyra Nelson in front. Picture: MARK SCOTT

THE Central Coast Bears believe the NRL will admit new expansion teams in 2014 and 2015.
Bears chief executive officer and former North Sydney captain Greg Florimo said the Bears are ready to form a team in 2013.
But with the delay in the appointment of an Independent Commission, which will ultimately decide on expansion, Florimo said 2014 is a more realistic goal.
“We recently met with (NRL boss) David Gallop, who re-affirmed the game’s intention to expand,” he said.
“We are all eagerly awaiting the formation of the Independent Commission (IC), the body that will provide the strategy and vision to make sure expansion is a success.”
The Bears believe they have a strong case for inclusion through commercial operations and community engagement.
Florimo said the Bears will add value to the game through television and mobile media subscriptions and add value to other Sydney-based NRL clubs with disenfranchised Bears fans flocking to grounds across Sydney.
The rival bids include PNG, Perth-based WA Reds, a second Brisbane team, Ipswich and Central Queensland.
Florimo is optimistic the Bears’ bid will be looked upon favourably by the NRL and IC.
“David assures us that the Central Coast Bears have a realistic chance of inclusion and we will make sure we are ready once the IC calls for submissions,’’ he said.

M2D2

Bench
I'm a fan. its not my favourtie.
No, Youre a douchebag. Your trips to the Cronulla forum is evident on that.
The health of the game is about money. Welcome to the real world sweetheart.
The two arent mutually exclusive.
The central coast is a rugby league heartland with existing strong infrastructure, juniors, very vocal and large fan support.
Perth has outdated grounds, below average infrastructure, little junior support, average fan support.
The only thing Perth offers is a another time slot and the idea that Perth/Western Australians will tune in to watch more games.
Which if Melbourne is anything to base things on, They wont get games til very late anyways on free to air, and the Fox Sports coverage wont miraculously go up high percentages because Perth have a team again.

Im not surprised that people have flat out confused health of the game with fat cash.

lockyrulz

Juniors
No, Youre a douchebag. Your trips to the Cronulla forum is evident on that.
Better that than a moron. Besides who doesn't love a trip the the sharks forum for a laugh.

The two arent mutually exclusive.
The central coast is a rugby league heartland with existing strong infrastructure, juniors, very vocal and large fan support.
Perth has outdated grounds, below average infrastructure, little junior support, average fan support.
The only thing Perth offers is a another time slot and the idea that Perth/Western Australians will tune in to watch more games.
Which if Melbourne is anything to base things on, They wont get games til very late anyways on free to air, and the Fox Sports coverage wont miraculously go up high percentages because Perth have a team again.

Im not surprised that people have flat out confused health of the game with fat cash.
The only people who don't understand the link between the health of a professional sport and money are morons, like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.