What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears ready if Sharks fall

mongoose

Coach
You have to admire Greg Florimo. I thought the bears dream was dead after the titans were admitted but he's really pushed hard and got his sh*t sorted. Now the Sharks are on the absolute brink and the NRL may have no other choice but to include the bears for next season. Amazing how things work out.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It sucks for the fans , but really they will just be another in a long line of failed first grade rugby league teams.

North Sydney
Wests
Balmain
Newtown
Glebe
Newcastle (c1908)
Cumberland
Annandale
University
Illawarra
Gold Coast (c1988)
Western Reds
Sth QLD
Adelaide
Hunter
Northern eagles

teams come and go , rugby league will always move forward though.

Im not trying to down play it. I know the hurt the fans are going through , I lost my NBA team last year ( Seattle) and it sucks. But the good news is rugby league will go forward.

Of those the clubs...

North Sydney - never failed, won premierships, a foundation club, and they might be back one day in CC.

Wests - never failed, won premierships, a foundation club, and still exists in the Wests Tigers JV.

Balmain - never failed, won premierships, a foundation club, and still exists in the Wests Tigers JV.

Newtown - never failed, won premierships, a foundation club, and still exists in the NSWRL

Glebe - relative short history, but a notable one. A failed club nonetheless.

Newcastle (c1908) - no way a failure, they left the Sydney comp to form the Northern NSWRL, perhaps the second strongest competition in the country for many decades. For years they resisted coming back into the Sydney first grade.

Cumberland - yep, failed.

Annandale - ditto.

University - plenty of unsung heros here. More like the battlers rather than failures. They had it up against them, trying to play Rugby League in a Rugby Union dominated establishment. Amazing they lasted as long as they did. A different kind of greatness imo.

Illawarra - A League district with a history that goes back to the 1920s, no premierships in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL but like Newcastle they have had their own comps. And the first grade still exists in the St George-Illawarra JV.

Gold Coast (c1988) - should never have been given the flick in 1998. It was politics, post-Super League. They showed a profit and even loaned money to at least one other NRL club despite not having a team in the NRL. Not a failure.

Western Reds - Apparently ran out of money so fair enough. But they'll be back imo.

Sth QLD - Another SL casualty. But probably a failure.

Adelaide - Yep, I agree this was a failure.

Hunter - Well they were a Claytons club to start with.

Northern eagles - Not a failed club, a failed JV.

Seattle NBA? lol. Sorry and no disrespect intended, but I can't feel your pain.

As you sow so shall you reap.
Cronulla whored themselves to superleague and funded the purchase of a thousand international/rep players in the yrs since. Ross, Stevens, Barrett, Tupou, Maitua, Kimmorley etc etc etc despite having to go cap in hand every 5 yrs or so to the NSWRL, ARL, SL, NRL

They, and the bogan, insular, white robe wearing, burning at the stake lynch mob shire bogans deserve everything they get.

What these ute driving, gumboot wearing, panel van honeymooning gimps need is a yr in the Jim Beam cup watching players the ilk of John McKelleher and ken Ebb tpo remind them of their place in the food chain

You mate are a complete f*ckwit. Grow a brain and get a life.

Hanscholo

Bench
Are they conspiring against the Sharks or what...:x

The NRL arent lifting a finger to help the sharks. Do you think if it were Newcastle or Melbourne that they would step in? Ofcourse they would. So in the absence of any assistance im assuming that the outcome the NRL wants is for the sharks to just die.

They jumped all over their central coast 5 game plan, when in years gone by they have offered teams a multi million dollar package to relocate there, so what has changed? Do the NRL think the bears are all that? hadly, they have been tapped on the head a few times and told to give it a rest.

otori

Juniors
If this happens, the player market will be decimated this year! The Bears will be able to pay as much as they want get a side together plus scrape the cream off the top of Cronulla's side.

On a side note, what will happen to contracted Nulla players? Contract voided and paid out (if there's money)?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely if it got to the point where Cronulla couldn't survive they would take the money and run to the CC whilst keeping some presence in the shire wouldn't they? Wopuld be a great shame for teh Bears club but not alot they could do about it, agter Gallop ahs been asking for a Sydney club to move their for years, he could hardly turn Cronulla down.

You'd think their board would think relocation is better than extinction.

mongoose

Coach
Surely if it got to the point where Cronulla couldn't survive they would take the money and run to the CC whilst keeping some presence in the shire wouldn't they? Wopuld be a great shame for teh Bears club but not alot they could do about it, agter Gallop ahs been asking for a Sydney club to move their for years, he could hardly turn Cronulla down.

You'd think their board would think relocation is better than extinction.

If the bears are ready to go why would the NRL pay money to a club thats about to fold to relocate to the CC? Doesn't make sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably because the offer is still on the table. They would be hard pushed to turn around and say it was no longer available after all these years of flashing it in the faces of Sydney clubs. They would also probably consider it a massive PR disaster to lose an existing club as opposed to not supporting the Bears move (again). On the reverse side with all the negative PR around the Sharks the NRL may be pleased to see the back of them.

Will be really interesting if Cronulla do decide to go to the NRL and offer to move to the CC and ask for the money. In effect it could be their only option and is quite an attractive one in terms of the money will pay off their debts, they can pull down Shark park and include the land in the redevelopment area and financially start a fresh with a large scale development giving them an income. If the CC people would support them is another matter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps if the above scenario did happen do you think the Bears would look to Q'land or WA for readmittance?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
ps if the above scenario did happen do you think the Bears would look to Q'land or WA for readmittance?

I dont, they have gone to too much work to get this far on the CC. It would be like the entire Reds expansion group deciding to move to Adelaide if the Sharks moved to Perth.

Also, the $8 million is for any strateigic area. That includes the CC, Perth, Adelaide, SE Qld/West Brisbane and Wellington.

mongoose

Coach
I dont, they have gone to too much work to get this far on the CC. It would be like the entire Reds expansion group deciding to move to Adelaide if the Sharks moved to Perth.

Also, the $8 million is for any strateigic area. That includes the CC, Perth, Adelaide, SE Qld/West Brisbane and Wellington.

A move to SEQLD might be the best option. I would say the sharks are one of the more liked sydney teams in QLD, they would probably have to dump ricky stuart though lol.

Blind Freddy

Juniors

It would be a pretty silly decision by the NRL to throw $8million to the sharks to move to the CC.

Think about it, on one hand you have a team just about ready to get out on the park to play who has already done the groundwork for it to succeed.

And on the other hand you have a team that can't even survive in their own backyard and are a bit on the nose at the moment they'd piss that 8 million away just establishing themselves on the CC and be back to where they are now.

The sharks could maybe arrange to sit out a season or 2 while they work in conjunction with the Sunshine Coast/SE Queensland/Central QLD to maybe move up there, and get $8million for moving north. It's too late for them to attempt the CC,.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Listening to the local radio this morning about this. Majority don't want the bears to come in and take over if the Sharks fall. A lot were saying they would rather the Sharks playing from BlueTongue if it meant they were to stay in the competition.

In reality we the CC people are Rugby League Supporters and we don't want to see another club fail. Not like this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you sure re the relocation? I have only ever heard it linked to someone moving to the CC.

Western Bears is growing on me, gives WA a strong jnr base, we share the same colours, the Bears are back in the NRL and we expand the game and take the fight to the other codes.

Would still prefer the Reds but would be willing to back a joint venture between the Nth Sydney Bears and WARL much more than the Sharks moving out here.

skeepe

Immortal
Not a good look for the Bears, like vultures. Talk about kicking a team when it's down, although I'd expect nothing less from the scum that inhabit that cesspool

MayMoo

Juniors
Not a good look for the Bears, like vultures. Talk about kicking a team when it's down, although I'd expect nothing less from the scum that inhabit that cesspool

Most Bears fans would NOT want to see the Sharks fold.

Florimo would have been asked if they could be ready, what else would you say if you were trying to establish a new franchise.

He actually said that the prefered option is coming into an expanded competion.

Go grind your axe somewhere else.

fatshark

Bench
I'll admit defeat. Its from a business point of view why the NRL dont want the Sharks. The Herald and channel nine also dont want the Sharks. Because the Sharks have the lowest readership and viewers of both these companies.
They can get twice as many on the CC. Which is fair enough.
But in saying that, the Bears will be the whipping boys of the comp, they only have a small area of juniours(unless Melbourne and other teams give up their feeder).
And where are the funds coming from exactly?

t-ba

Post Whore
I'll admit defeat. Its from a business point of view why the NRL dont want the Sharks. The Herald and channel nine also dont want the Sharks. Because the Sharks have the lowest readership and viewers of both these companies.
They can get twice as many on the CC. Which is fair enough.
But in saying that, the Bears will be the whipping boys of the comp, they only have a small area of juniours(unless Melbourne and other teams give up their feeder).
And where are the funds coming from exactly?

Juniors will switch over. Corporate support should be easy enough to find in an area of 340k with an extended catchment of another 450k people.

Latest posts