What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEOs: Let's change jersey numbers

Should players be allowed to chose their own jersey number?

• Total voters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
nearly as bad as when the waratahs had the player initials instead of a number..

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Yeah its all to do with marketing, Yeah i bet 23 would be the most popular for sure.

No wonder it took these dipsh#ts 5 years to bust the Storm, have a meeting on salary cap and talk about changing numbers on playing jerseys FFS.

ByRd

First Grade
So the Raiders were ok with the cap as it is, then they shouldn't cry of they lose Dugan or any other junior (just using them as an example).

Also, i dont mind the jersey number idea, will allow fans to identify with one player and will make that number more special (for example, The bulldogs could retire the #2 jersey for El Masri).

I dont mind the idea but it really should be the last thing on there mind, they need to handle the real issues first.

Hey! They got other business taken care of too. For example, they fixed the controversial socks up/socks down debate. They chose socks up! Win for the game.

Monk

Referee
At the very most this wouldn't be bad except it takes a sponsor off the jumper. But players pickin their numbers??? "big Willie Mason, what a year this little number 7 has had". Doesn't have the same ring to it

Then maybe do something similar to what the NFL do have a certain set of numbers (say 50-59 and 90-99) as prop forward numbers, numbers 1-19 as halve numbers etc, etc.

Iafeta

Referee
I hate watching super league and seeing blokes wearing ridiculous numbers that in no way shape or form correlate to their position. At least, unless there's an injury, if a bloke wears 1 in the NRL I can assume he's playing fullback.

Mickyd39

Juniors
FMD, I'm sure there is something more important to talk about you fu*king boneheads, what was it again?

oh yeah, its the SALARY CAP!

I honestly don't know how our game survives with these jokers in charge of our clubs.

beave

Coach
you people wanting this this number $hit obviously don't remember super league.......... it was $hit then and it will be $hit now.

griff

Bench
When EPL switched to a squad number system from the 1-11 system, merchandise sales went through the roof. As mentioned, it allows you to put player names on the back of shirts as well. So it's a good idea.

What the Super League system was was a basketball style pick your own number system. This is crap. We should adopt the squad number system, which is used in the English Super League. That is, you have a squad of 25, at the start of the year you allocate numbers out to the 25 players, 1-25. Your first choice fullback gets number 1, and so on. People outside the top 25 get the next available number (26, 27 etc).

This squad number system also used to be used on Kangaroo Tours. So it definitely has a history in RL.

Jesus. These numbskulls should have no say in the game. Get an independent commission and put someone in charge to tell these morons how everything will be done... clearly they have strange priorities and vested interests.

I'm proud that league numbers correlate with their position. These morons see a tiny opportunity to make a buck (I don't think it would make much difference to sale's really) and trade away a simple yet elegant tradition WHICH SERVES A PURPOSE!

The Observer

Staff member
The Storm had the best system in 1998 to 1999 - personalised jerseys with standard numbering. Team were named on Tuesday from 1 to 17, the number was given depending on position. Matt Geyer played on the wing, his jersey had Geyer 2. If he was named to play five eighth the next week, he was given Geyer 6.

That system allowed more marketing opportunities than any other, yet stayed true to the traditional numbering system.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Ok, clubs can't afford a rise in the cap.

BUT

why not discuss the merits of changes to the system by which we pay players with an eye towards the next TV deal?

They create these commitees but they do nothing.

Yep. These guys could teach public servants a thing or two. And who was the genius who decided to appoint the CEO's of Easts and the Broncos to the salary cap steering committee?

Talk about agendas:lol:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I can't believe how much some people are freaking out over this. It's numbers on the back of a shirt, who cares?

mightybears

Bench
Cannot disagree with that idea, would be great for marketing. There's no real negative for this kind of idea unless you're a nitpicker.

great idea dude, why don't we let the players vote for a cool new nick names for the teams they play for as well.

Latest posts