What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2019

siv

First Grade
The issue is

English based competitions v European based competitions

Seems to be another example of Brexit

Could it be a blessing in disguise for French and Europe RL being forced to stand on their own two feet

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I can see both sides of this. On one hand I’m a fan of league and think this is one of the dumbest things ever and is only bad for the sport. I also don’t think teams in the English system should have a choice to enter and it should be mandatory as it gives teams a break when others aren’t having one.

On the other hand it can’t be a loss making event, the sport just isn’t in a position to throw money at things. What answer is I do not know, there must be a better way though.

It seems ridiculous to push for expansion and then spit in the face of the first successful expansion team though.

To me, this is just a failure by the RFL marketing team. They had the whole "England v France" angle and they couldnt pull a decent crowd. You can really tell they are just used to cruising through and letting the team rivalries speak for themselves.

Its not like Catalan's qualification was a surprise. There were 20 days between the qualifier and the final (not even mentioning that there should have been a contingent plan from the start with so many foreign teams competing). And now, after their failure, they blame the foreign teams for doing too well.....

Pommy

Coach
To me, this is just a failure by the RFL marketing team. They had the whole "England v France" angle and they couldnt pull a decent crowd. You can really tell they are just used to cruising through and letting the team rivalries speak for themselves.

Its not like Catalan's qualification was a surprise. There were 20 days between the qualifier and the final (not even mentioning that there should have been a contingent plan from the start with so many foreign teams competing). And now, after their failure, they blame the foreign teams for doing too well.....

It doesn’t really work like that though, no matter how much the RFL tried to play up the England vs France angle it wouldn’t work. RL is far too tribal for that, you’re not going to get nutrals supporting Warrington because it’s ‘England vs France’
Football fans don’t support Man City in the champions league because it’s England vs (Spain, France, Italy etc)

Stallion

First Grade

Very insular thinking by someone in the RFL!? The only light I can assume this may bring is a resolve from nations like France and Canada etc to proactively develop their own competitions in spite of this financial impost.Otherwise it's very dissappointing for this more deserving code!

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Thats f*ckin insane.

If the WP made it through, the novelty factor would outdo any local club loyalty

I'm pretty sure that every time that Toronto have touched English soil every home club has seen a noticible increase in attendance with just a couple of exceptions, I can't believe the RFL's decision here, how much publicity would the game gather if Toronto had a home tie in the early rounds.
It wasn't that long ago that they nearly beat Salford in their inaugural season.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It doesn’t really work like that though, no matter how much the RFL tried to play up the England vs France angle it wouldn’t work.

I was speaking specifically for the French supporters.

They dont need to be RL fans, just sports fans and keen on an underdog story from their home nation.

RL is far too tribal for that, you’re not going to get nutrals supporting Warrington because it’s ‘England vs France’

This is exactly what i meant by "cruising". Saying "RL is just tribal" is lazy, people turn up for events even if their team isnt playing.

Football fans don’t support Man City in the champions league because it’s England vs (Spain, France, Italy etc)

Hardly the same thing. This is the first time the Dragons have made the final. ManCity have been in that comp for decades and finish near the top of the table every year.

Pommy

Coach
I was speaking specifically for the French supporters.

They dont need to be RL fans, just sports fans and keen on an underdog story from their home nation.

This is exactly what i meant by "cruising". Saying "RL is just tribal" is lazy, people turn up for events even if their team isnt playing.

Hardly the same thing. This is the first time the Dragons have made the final. ManCity have been in that comp for decades and finish near the top of the table every year.

I don’t think you know the history of man city very well. To say they have been in the champions league for decades is laughable, they were a third tier team recently.
Why isn’t it the same thing? Do you think Toulouse fans will be supporting Catalans when Catalans have gone out of their way to prevent regular French English tests and advance the sport?

Latest posts