What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

change.org petition please sign

Walpole

Juniors
Good iniative by the petition organiser. Something like this might be just the catalyst to get something done (although should John Grant also be added to the recipients?) Some questions though;

In the ARL Commissions capacity, what action are they able to take? Genuine question. I'm just curious as to how much they can interfere in a clubs operations. I know we've been "bailed out" by them previously but does that come with any stipulations on how the club is run? Or do they just wait for Doust to run us into the ground and terminate our NRL licence when the time comes? Be good to hear from someone with a legal understanding of the situation.

Apologies if this has been addressed already but I got sick of reading this thread about the time OV turned it into a slanging match.

Just on OV. Mate, if you're really a lawyer with the club's best interests at heart why not actually get involved? A Dragons loving supporter with the type of resume you claim could be just what we need. At least you can probably answer my questions above.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Good iniative by the petition organiser. Something like this might be just the catalyst to get something done (although should John Grant also be added to the recipients?) Some questions though;

In the ARL Commissions capacity, what action are they able to take? Genuine question. I'm just curious as to how much they can interfere in a clubs operations. I know we've been "bailed out" by them previously but does that come with any stipulations on how the club is run? Or do they just wait for Doust to run us into the ground and terminate our NRL licence when the time comes? Be good to hear from someone with a legal understanding of the situation.

Apologies if this has been addressed already but I got sick of reading this thread about the time OV turned it into a slanging match.

Just on OV. Mate, if you're really a lawyer with the club's best interests at heart why not actually get involved? A Dragons loving supporter with the type of resume you claim could be just what we need. At least you can probably answer my questions above.
He asking his boss the question now lol.

grouch

First Grade

I quite honestly doubt it's realistic. The only precedent we have is the NRL assuming control of GC and Newcastle, and these were only due to severe financial difficulties ie they had gone completely bust. The board have been clever enough to avoid complete catastrophe so far.
I didn't create the petition so I can't answer on behalf of whoever did, but to my mind it is simply a (hopefully strong) device to apply pressure with. For that reason I thought it was worth signing

Guvner

First Grade
They also installed independent Directors at the Tigers.

The main thing here is if we do nothing, we can't expect anything to change. If we don't take some action, then we truly are just whingers as supporters, and I refuse to believe thats the case. Its time to throw something on the table and see if we can be heard. Personally I think it would be nice for the Members of this once great club to actually have a voice.

BennyV

Referee
I quite honestly doubt it's realistic. The only precedent we have is the NRL assuming control of GC and Newcastle, and these were only due to severe financial difficulties ie they had gone completely bust. The board have been clever enough to avoid complete catastrophe so far.
I didn't create the petition so I can't answer on behalf of whoever did, but to my mind it is simply a (hopefully strong) device to apply pressure with. For that reason I thought it was worth signing
I disagree. I think the NRL can definitely force change at a board level, see the Tigpies.

And I'd argue that we definitely have severe financial difficulties; NRL approved plan to become profitable by 2017, yet half a year out from that we have allegedly doubled our debt instead. Good a reason as any for the governing body to step in.

Walpole

Juniors
100% agree that it's a great way to at least let the powers that be know how pissed off the fans are. Happy to sign the petition. Just wondering if anyone knows the legal extent the NRL can intervene in this situation. Can they actually remove a CEO or particular board members?

100% agree that it's a great way to at least let the powers that be know how pissed off the fans are. Happy to sign the petition. Just wondering if anyone knows the legal extent the NRL can intervene in this situation. Can they actually remove a CEO or particular board members?

Can't see this happening. The board seem very compliant to and supportive of NRL decisions. That's what happens when you go cap in hand.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Simply put they would have to be guilty of a breach of the corporations act or a breach of their fiduciary responsibilities.
Being autocrats or shit house in the eyes of the membership is not enough.

duck

Juniors
No.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Didn't the NSW sports minister intervene at the Eels because he believed the board was "not acting in the best interests of the club members"?
I'm not saying the government will intervene at the Dragons, but surely the NRL may at least give Doust a "what the hell is going on there?" phone call soon.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Looks like it is gaining some momentum.
I have seen it shared on facebook with the person sharing it to Steve Mascord and other journos. They were asking them if they could give it some media coverage and spreading it to more people to sign. Hope it kicks on!

18to87

Coach
Really appreciate all the work by the guys getting this into RLW. Let's do our part and share it everywhere we can with the link to the petition!

Attachments

• dragonsrlw.jpg
    dragonsrlw.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 20

Guvner

First Grade

They can absolutely bring pressure to reform Governance practices. They can also install independent directors if they deem it necessary.

18to87

Coach
The season is over. Surely everyone here knows 10 Dragons fans. Get them all to sign and maybe we will have something to look forward to.