What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Heard an ad on the radio today where Ray Warren was doing an ad for pain away. That spray cream shit or whatever it is.

He said he liked something, and then it played a noise bite of that activity.
He said he liked golf, it played a sound bite of a golf swing.

Now for the good bit.

He said he liked to call the footy, and had a LONG FAGGISH sound bite of him creaming his load over Jonathon Brown and the wonderous mark he had just taken.

I could not believe my f**king ears.

Disgraceful.

To make matters worse Mark Braybrook was filling in for the sports program tonight. My head almost exploded.

Are you 100% sure?? If so that is beyond beleif. Why would he agree to that, total stupidity.

And who the hell is Mark Braybrook

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Mark Braybrook is one of the Fox Commentators, who used to be decent when he was doing radio but has become a parody of himself on TV

Mr Twig

Are you 100% sure?? If so that is beyond beleif. Why would he agree to that, total stupidity.

And who the hell is Mark Braybrook

Seriously?

He's one of the main league callers for Fox Sports, for the last 10 years. Every legit league fan would know who Mark Braybrook is.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This is the result of AFL putting their GF on the same weekend as NRL now. AFL used to play theirs a week earlier so we had a full weeks worth of NRL GF buildup but not any more. The AFL will swamp the media as usual.

This is just another example of AFL taking on the NRL ! We should push ours out another week next year!

No, I like having the GF on the long weekend. Isnt the AFL season longer because of the bye? Wont it go back to normal next year when they have 18?

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the result of AFL putting their GF on the same weekend as NRL now. AFL used to play theirs a week earlier so we had a full weeks worth of NRL GF buildup but not any more. The AFL will swamp the media as usual.

This is just another example of AFL taking on the NRL ! We should push ours out another week next year!

or maybe we should take them head on and develop a media profile that doesn't allow them to swamp us? Your suggestion is Ben Creagh like!

El Diablo

Post Whore
what are you on about?

we have a profile. 9 prefer their beloved AFL and nothing will change that

Perth Red

Post Whore
his suggestion was we should run and not go head to head with AFL as their media coverage will swamp us. I'm suggesting rather than run we should improve our media profile. Your right re Ch9 and it is why the "contra" element of media deals is so so valuable. Most people right it off as not real value in a deal but what it does do is force the media into positive and agressive marketing of your code.

The fact Ch9 get away with it is due to weak NRL leadership and a poor media deal that puts no demands on them.

ps I suggest you step outside NSW or Q'land and see what media profile the game has.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the AFL has no contra deal with 9 and i can't see why we should pretty much have to pay for 9 to promote the code they have the rights to when they do it for the AFL for free

that's pretty much what you're saying

and why the f**k should we move our GF because of the AFL?

f**k them

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
the AFL has no contra deal with 9 and i can't see why we should pretty much have to pay for 9 to promote the code they have the rights to when they do it for the AFL for free

that's pretty much what you're saying

yep pretty much, we need to understand why Ch9 shafts us so much and promotes a rival stations code and change it if we can. if we can't then we need to either give the rights to a station that will promote the game or build in deliverables to the next contract that Ch9 have to abide by.

Either way if we stay the same we will get the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats a lot of f***ing, one of these might be in order!

188_big.jpg

juro

Bench
his suggestion was we should run and not go head to head with AFL as their media coverage will swamp us. I'm suggesting rather than run we should improve our media profile. Your right re Ch9 and it is why the "contra" element of media deals is so so valuable. Most people right it off as not real value in a deal but what it does do is force the media into positive and agressive marketing of your code.

The fact Ch9 get away with it is due to weak NRL leadership and a poor media deal that puts no demands on them.

ps I suggest you step outside NSW or Q'land and see what media profile the game has.
Easy to see the media profile rugby league has next to AFL. Just watch shows shown nationally and see how the two games are portrayed. I was watching a bit of the Gruen Transfer on ABC last night (hosted by Victorian, Wil Anderson) and the topic was about sports gambling integration with telecasts. The amount of biased garbage they went on with - bringing up rugby league indescretions from the distant past, talking up AFL as a family sport, etc...

Of course, both sports have their negative incidents. Of course, women make up a significant portion of crowds for both sports. But the perception, which is repeated over and over in the media, always paints AFL as the winner.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am pretty sure you will find that the last NRL TV deal included a certain amount of promotion that Nine has to undertake.

You'd think so but I can't find any reporting of any inclusion beyond a commitment to publicise Internationals better.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-07-01/nrl-secures-500m-rights-deal/2050082

In the AFL deals they actually put a value on the contra part of the contract, I can't see any NRL ones from the last 2 deals that do that.

The AFL didn't just get a $1 billion-plus headline number. It will receive $1.12 billion in cash and another $135 million in ''contra'' deals to take the overall value of the package to a remarkable $1.25 billion. The current package, valued at $780 million, had a cash component of only $749 million.
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/medi...-s-changing-business-model-bartholomeusz.html

nohope

Juniors
Channel 9 promote Rugby Union during Rugby League Semi Finals...would you ever see Union promote League?

Nope. (I still didn't watch Union anyway, penalty bore fest)

firechild

First Grade
The Today Show was shown from Geelong today to promote the AFL preliminary finals. Barely a mention of the NRL finals.

Latest posts