What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Melbourne - disgraceful

JW

Coach
Exactly, I couldn't believe the irony of the 'keep sport free' rubbish during the presentation ad breaks, whilst folks down in Melbourne had the News cut into their presentation.

Gallop will no doubt use the 'balance' excuse if he's asked of his opinion on it.

Use it or lose it morons.

Bulldog Force

Referee
As soon as it was full-time, they ended the broadcast and went to the News. Didn't even show the Clive Churchill announcement or the presentation of the trophy.

Disgraceful.
News >>>>>>>>>>>> Melbourne Rugby League.

Again, someone remind me why Melbourne want to host a GF?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Wow I don't think I have ever seen people so into conspiracy theories.

It is normal for nine to stop live sport for the news. It is not a slight on the NRL.

Not so sure about this. Is 10 mins worth of extra broadcast really going to hurt them? Seems odd to me.

Connie Kreski

Juniors
Again, someone remind me why Melbourne want to host a GF?

Exactly. It has everything to do with filling their inner city motels with 60,000 souls from north of the Murrumbidgeee, and thereby making a killing.
It has zero to do with love of the game or an understanding of League's great strengths.

Evolution

Juniors
Not so sure about this. Is 10 mins worth of extra broadcast really going to hurt them? Seems odd to me.

It happens during the cricket all the time, they left McGraths 50th for the news.

Nine are obsessed with the news.

It was scheduled to start at 7 and so they crossed there as soon as the game was over.

Dogs Of War

Coach
How hard would have it been for them to show the full coverage of the event on Channel 99, while just the main game on the normal channel 9. This way they would have had the best of both worlds.

Paullyboy

Coach
In Brisbane the main news story (after the footy) was a netball team flooding an apartment block after a few too many drinks and we all joked that it was clearly a very, very slow news day if not for the GF. What were Channel 9 Melbourne so desperate to show?

IanG

Coach
We need to save all the footy fans in melbourne, relocate the storm, & tell Melbourne to f**k itself. They can play their AFL. Kick the Swans out & get rid of this bullsh*t stadium thats being build around the road from me for some new fairy boys club.

Exactly. A siege mentality of our own. Probably is us Northeners have been too accepting. As I've said many times trying to promote League in the Southern States is like trying to promote cricket in the USA.

maccattack

Juniors
Well I rang Channel 9 here in Melbourne last week and spoke to someone in programming.

We had a fairly lengthy discussion which suprised me.

I asked why they were only showing 30 mins of the build up and nothing of the presentations.

I asked why they were showing a 60 year old movie that could be bought for $5 instead of the under 20's final which also had a Melbourne team.

The general gist of the answer was that they have "other commitments" like geting the news out and were already delaying it for an hour to show the game "for free".

I really did get the sense that they are prejudiced against rugby league and while it was a fairly pleasant and reasoned conversation. I was left with the feeling that Channel 9 Melbourne think League fans should think themselves lucky that they show the game at all.

dollyhands

Juniors
In Brisbane the main news story (after the footy) was a netball team flooding an apartment block after a few too many drinks and we all joked that it was clearly a very, very slow news day if not for the GF. What were Channel 9 Melbourne so desperate to show?
They showed highlights of the game first up ffs! the game that we just watched, but didn't show anything from the presentation:crazy:

pnub

Juniors
Maybe if they actually started the game at 5:15 when they were supposed to they could have got the presentation in. Time management must be such a hard skill for those in charge of the NRL’s biggest day.
The simple fact is that nine doesn't deserve to have the rights to any sports as they treat all live sports pathetically especially league in Melbourne.
Then again the blame for the poor coverage into Melbourne lies completely with David Gallop and the nrl board of directors who should have demanded live and in depth coverage into Melbourne as a part of the tv deal like the afl did. But like the useless idiots they are they allow Nein to treat league fans not only in Melbourne but the other non league states like crap

Last edited: