What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Message to David Gallop: please take note of these TV ratings into Melbourne next time you publicly criticise rugby league being shown on free-to-air into that city.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...n-if-australia-is-playing-20110919-1kgle.html

That 274k figure in Melbourne for the Storm v Warriors game was enough to put us in front of the AFL semi that day on a 5 city metro basis.

It also easily won its timeslot in Melbourne last night (which is the main point I'm trying to make in the title to this thread) - RL won the ratings in its timeslot in Melb!!!

And more than doubled the highest rating Swans' TV figure recorded in Sydney this year (136k - which was for a semi as well).

This is a team that gets a quarter of the publicity in their home market than the Swans receive in their home market.

We need a CEO who can state our case to the TV networks, not state the case of the TV networks.

merkins nine, if they had shown it live in WA and SA you could add another 200k+ to the city figure as well.

I'm intrigued how they work out that 4k in SA and 2k in WA watched it. By my stats extrapolitaion when you consider sample size against population every home in WA with a box = over 5,000 viewers. Are they suggesting 1/2 a person in their sample group was watching?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Nine merkins will just say "oh there was no AFL competition".

Not sure if WA+SA would have got 200k+, but 100k I would think definitely.

docbrown

Coach
The NRL is a television juggernaut waiting to happen.
We've barely tapped our full potential.
All it requires is a governing body capable of promoting the game and making the networks bow to our plans.

I hope the morons who can't understand the importance of Melbourne, Perth & eventually Adelaide finally start to see the logic.

Every Storm away game should be on Free To Air in Victoria.

El Diablo

Post Whore
merkins nine, if they had shown it live in WA and SA you could add another 200k+ to the city figure as well.

I'm intrigued how they work out that 4k in SA and 2k in WA watched it. By my stats extrapolitaion when you consider sample size against population every home in WA with a box = over 5,000 viewers. Are they suggesting 1/2 a person in their sample group was watching?

1 person watched half the game if a box = 4,000

according to this The OzTAM panel is comprised of 3,035 homes across 5 metropolitan markets.

so no idea what each box represents exactly

jimmee007

Juniors
interestingly there was only a 10,000 people difference between the melbournians watching the storm (274k) and perth watching the West Coast Eagles (284K).

Also more than double the audience of adelaide.

I understand different sizes in the cities, but that is outstanding. Imagine if they got decent exposure down in Melbourne.

No excuses form 9, Gallop, and those media idiots like Hadley who like to bag the Storm ratings in Victoria this proves that despite jack all advertising and coverage the Melbourne Storm can rate in Victoria. Up here in Qld we get bombarded with AFL coverage plus the QLD teams get shown live on FTA to laughable at times result yet get shown live every week.

Now Gallop stand up, show some testicular fortitude for once and demand 9 to show Storm games live for once the proof is there do it for god sake!!!!:crazy:

Brutus

Referee
No excuses form 9, Gallop, and those media idiots like Hadley who like to bag the Storm ratings in Victoria this proves that despite jack all advertising and coverage the Melbourne Storm can rate in Victoria. Up here in Qld we get bombarded with AFL coverage plus the QLD teams get shown live on FTA to laughable at times result yet get shown live every week.

Now Gallop stand up, show some testicular fortitude for once and demand 9 to show Storm games live for once the proof is there do it for god sake!!!!:crazy:

Gallop only makes comments when the ratings for the Storm in Melbourne are bad.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Message to David Gallop: please take note of these TV ratings into Melbourne next time you publicly criticise rugby league being shown on free-to-air into that city.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...n-if-australia-is-playing-20110919-1kgle.html

That 274k figure in Melbourne for the Storm v Warriors game was enough to put us in front of the AFL semi that day on a 5 city metro basis.

It also easily won its timeslot in Melbourne last night (which is the main point I'm trying to make in the title to this thread) - RL won the ratings in its timeslot in Melb!!!

And more than doubled the highest rating Swans' TV figure recorded in Sydney this year (136k - which was for a semi as well).

This is a team that gets a quarter of the publicity in their home market than the Swans receive in their home market.

We need a CEO who can state our case to the TV networks, not state the case of the TV networks.

Hope you dont mind, but im using this post elsewhere.

Billythekid

First Grade
Could this be anymore perfectly timed? How can anyone say that the NRL can't rate in Melbourne after that?

It's got to be a concern that the storm managed to double the swans best game despite all the things going for the swans.

There is simply no excuse for us not to match the AFL's tv deal. The NRL is a ratings juggernaught and once we get games shown nation wide we're going to blow the AFL out of the water.

I think this tv deal will be similar to the AFL's. With the huge influx of money this gives to the NRL we are going to finally be able to push the game forward.

I think the next 5-6 years will show which is truly Australia's favourite sport.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wide World of Sports Its a great result and we're really happy it performed well. The preliminary final isn't really an effective gauge for why can be expected in regular season matches but it definitely gives us some great evidence to help push for better Friday Night coverage into Melbourne.

:roll:

Billythekid

First Grade
What a f*cking joke. No one is saying we are going to pull 300K every week, this just proves that there is a general interest. Also just look at the swans, finals games don't just suddenly make your ratings sky rocket. They maybe doubled their regular season figures.

If that holds true for the storm than that is still damn impressive. On top of that there is simply no longer a question that storm games can outrate the crap on the secondary channels at the very least.

Gallop isn't going to do anything. He isn't capable of it. It's been said a thousand times but his time is up, we need a new and improved CEO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/teammates-want-lui-out-the-door-20110924-1kqjw.html

PEACE TALKS?

NRL chief executive David Gallop is at a loss as to why Phil Gould called for him to quit in last week's Sun-Herald. There is talk from the NRL about attempting to get the pair together. Gould is not alone in his calls for Gallop to stand aside. Roosters chairman Nick Politis - one of the game's great football/business minds - told Gallop more than a year ago he should start making plans to quit. It's worth noting Gallop and Politis no longer speak - but their estrangement wasn't a direct result of that conversation. An smh.com.au poll asked ''Should Gallop resign?'' and 57 per cent of the 10,101 respondents said yes.

big_matt

Juniors
Why do channel 9 have to see if they can "push" for better coverage? They own the coverage - surely they can just show it.

With 28.5k already at the game, it's an incredible achievement to have the same viewing figure as brisbane for a prelim final. Add on the crowd at the game and you have over 300k people in Melbourne who are interested in watching the game, and that is with zero marketing or help from channel 9 or Gallop. You can only assume that if there were tv adverts about the game and billboards etc then the results would have been even more impressive.

Despite what the majority of morons on this site think, that is an incredible achievement for a team going into one of the worlds toughest sports markets with no tv support. Imagine if the NRL and 9 actually promoted the code outside of NSW and QLD!

I still just CANNOT BELIEVE that Gallop defended a tv station for not showing the game he is in charge of. I just cannot believe it. Someone who is actively defending a corporation that is blocking the growth of the game should be removed from their post immediately. I just asked my boss (who is American) what the reaction would be if the CEO of baseball or NFL defended a tv channel for refusing to show their sport and he just burst out laughing and said "yea right - as if that would happen". I can't take much more of Gallop.

Latest posts