What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

channel nine scum

Hey hey it Saturday....on wednesday.

What a f&cking joke.

As mentioned earlier, Where is that loud-mouthed $hit talking Gould now?

Disgraceful.

Nein can burn to the ground.

Coaster

Bench
SOO wont rate at all here, there has been no adverts, no talk of it, nothing.
Hey Hey on the other hand has been promoted all week on the radio, on nine, they have billboards up in the city, they showed a so called celebrity VFL game last night, with Plucka as a mascot, and Gilbert playing.

I wrote this to Media Watch

I think there is a serious issue regarding the NRL and State of Origin not being shown LIVE into Victoria this Wednesday night, and Nine Victoria, when considering the Anti siphoning laws, and the recent vote regarding Keep Sport Free campaign.

The “Keep it Free” Website states:

What is the antisiphoning list?
The anti-siphoning list is a list of major sporting events that the Parliament of Australia has decided must be available for all Australians to see free of charge and cannot be “siphoned” off to pay TV where people are forced to pay to see them.

What is the “use it or lose it” scheme?
The previous Federal Government introduced the concept of “use it or lose it” rules for sports on the anti-siphoning list in 2007 to ensure that broadcasters are showing the events they acquire and that listed sports are not being “hoarded”.

http://www.keepsportfree.com.au/Content_Common/pg-FAQ.seo

Is channel Nine “Hording” the game of League in Victoria?
I mean why would channel nine that has paid the rights for the NRL and State of Origin, hamstring the growth of the sport in Victoria, you would think that it would be in the best interests for the Channel to promote something like State of Origin a clear rating winner, against something like “Hey Hey its Saturday” which is clearly in the wrong timeslot on a Wednesday and struggling.

When Nine lost the AFL rights to seven and Ten, and in the year 2000 channel Seven denied access to footage of the AFL in Melbourne to Nine, this was not a good result for either the AFL or Nine. So between the years 2002 and 2006 both parties reshuffled there executives using another business called Austereo, the CEO of Nine at the time was Eddie McGuire President of Collingwood FC.

“Austereo Group Ltd is one of Australia's most progressive and exciting entertainment based media companies. Reaching over 4.5 million Australian's weekly, Austereo delivers a combination of traditional and new media platforms on which to communicate with our audience.

The company operates three national radio networks; Today and Triple M, with stations in all mainland Australian state capital cities along with two leading joint venture stations in Newcastle and Canberra”

http://www.austereo.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=33

The main change in staff was Ben Amarfio at the time he was the second in charge at the AFL, he joined the Austereo firm in 2006, from the Austereo website his Bio reads:

Ben joined Austereo as General Manager Melbourne in February 2007.He has over 20 years experience in Media/Advertising, Marketing and the Sports & Entertainment industries.
Previously Ben was Broadcasting, Publishing & Digital Media Manager of the Australian Football League (AFL), heading up their Broadcasting operations, Commercial Media Assets and Relationships.

http://www.austereo.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=36

Fox sports wrote in 2006 :

“THE AFL has lost a second key employee, with Ben Amarfio leaving to head up Austereo.

Amarfio, crucial in the AFL's record TV, radio and internet deals, will begin in February as general manager of Austereo Melbourne.

The role, which places him in charge of FM stations Triple M and Fox, was held by Gary Pert, who vacated it for the head position at Channel 9 Melbourne.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20950534-23211,00.html

Of course Gary Pert the bloke he took the spot of, went on to take a position at Nine, an article on him wrote :

“IN THE corridor outside Gary Pert's office, there are large photos of Dermott Brereton oiled up and stripped to his shorts, Jason Dunstall dressed as a native American Indian (complete with feather headdress), and Brian Taylor wielding a chainsaw. All good boys-own fun, and despite the presence in other photos of Jo Stanley, Fifi Box and Robyn Butler (all clothed), it's an affirmation of the testosterone-fuelled and occasionally brutal world of FM radio that Pert is leaving.

He's an ex-footballer, but more evolved than a Brendan Fevola type. Pert's headlocks, were they put on you, would be verbal, and would rise out of his boyish, clean-cut charm. Pert is the very model of a well-spoken, fresh-faced young tyro, a sharp-eyed business type comfortable with phrases such as "key driver" and "targeting the right communities".

But he's no bloodless executive. Pert's CV is augmented by a huge credit in football-mad Melbourne: he was a loved player for Fitzroy (he followed in the footsteps of his father, Brian), for 10 years a favourite son of a struggling club that the AFL in 1996 chose to kill rather than help. At 41, Pert is young to be part of history. And smart enough to know there is life after football.

While still playing, Pert cannily developed a career in media sales — starting at Channel Ten and joining the Austereo Radio Network 13 years ago, the parent company of Triple M and Fox FM, in sales. He rose to general manager in 2002.

Now he's winding up his radio career and jumping to television (he starts as head of Melbourne's GTV Nine on December 4”

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21323

Eddie McGuire of course we all know is the President of the Collingwood Football club, he retired as CEO of Nine, but still holds a position and he is also current host of Channel Nine program Hot Seat. McGuire is also the host of The Hot Breakfast With Eddie McGuire on Triple M Melbourne owned by “Austereo”.

The show McGuire is most famous for is the Channel Nine AFL Footy Show, which is now run by Garry Lyon and the North Melbourne Football Club Chairman James Brayshaw, both are also employed by “Austereo” and have there own show called “Friday Night M Sport”.

So the main question I ask is how did a station that could not get even clips of AFL from there rival stations, turn this around in such a short time, to not only get clips, but be able to get the so called “Stars” of the game to appear on there rival footy shows, week after week.

Is it a coincidence that Austereo the only FM station in Melbourne with the right to broadcast AFL, employs half of Melbourne Nine employees?

Would it be unreasonable to think that if a deal was done between a station that did not purchase the rights to a sport to have such access to its players, management, and officials, it would in return “Horde” or not show any program that may be against the best interests of the AFL?

If “Hey Hey its Saturday” rates so highly, why would they not put it on a Saturday, unless of course it was against a program they did not want to diminish the rating of?

And finally if any of these serious issues are exactly as they seem, do they not as a broadcaster break the law of “Use it or Lose it”?

They have returned to me regarding this, will be interesting to see if i am imagining things or not.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just called them and they said it was due to ratings

So i replied, but Origin 1 outrated Hey Hey and the AFL on Sunday.

And she said, but the second origin didn't rate well.

SO I said, yet you are going to televise a show which you have decided to axe because of it's poor ratings, That's very backwards business practice if you ask me. Maim one program to give a dying program airplay which it won't be getting ever again, what's the point?

And the answer?

Well it's a decision made by management and nothing can be done about it now.

Whats the phone number for ABC Grandstand?

applesauce

Bench
My blood is boiling! I hope ONE and Ten win the rights next time round. It least they will show us nationally and live like they attempt with the Swans/Lions.

I would sacrifice a bit of $$ to get the growth of the game nationally back on track!

applesauce

Bench
What makes this whole situation worse is it has turned out to be the best game in the past 3 years!!!

Would of been a great advertisement for the game...

fourplay

Juniors
What makes this whole situation worse is it has turned out to be the best game in the past 3 years!!!

Would of been a great advertisement for the game...

Yep and they know that. It's the AFL old boys club running ch9 in Melbourne.

Last edited:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I can't believe they put 10 hours of that stupid charity game on at 7:30 the other day but delayed SOO. I had to find a stream online to watch it because I didn't want to wait two f**king hours to see the game. f**k channel nine. From now on if they ever broadcast something I want to see, I will wait for it to show up on piratebay.

parano1a

Juniors
Just to rub salt into the wound, Nine will tonight show a celebrity VFL game live at 7:30 , these c##nts need to removed from our sport.

This "celebrity game" you speak of was to honour the memory of EJ Whitten, who was of the reasons Aussie Rules State of Origin series became so popular in the 1970s, which led to Rugby League copying the idea in 1980. That's right, the VFL (and SANFL and WAFL) invented the whole State of Origin concept, not the NSWRL. If not for EJ Whitten, the rugby league State of Origin series might not even exist today.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
The concept of teams made up of players representing areas/regions was not invented by EJ Whitten.

Also;

http://rl1908.com/Origin/States.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite not yet having a Brisbane club competition, the first Maroon-thirteen was cobbled together in 1908 from former rugby union players. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After matches against the touring Kiwis and Maori team, the Queenslanders journeyed to Sydney in July, losing the opening game to NSW 43-0. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The following winter, as if the Blues weren’t already strong enough, were boosted by the great stampede of Wallabies from union to league.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In 1911 Dally Messenger notched up 32 points in a 65-9 belting of Queensland. In 1915, the new idol of the Sydney public, Harold Horder, amassed 60 points in two inter-state matches.
[/FONT]​

Last edited:

fourplay

Juniors
This "celebrity game" you speak of was to honour the memory of EJ Whitten, who was of the reasons Aussie Rules State of Origin series became so popular in the 1970s, which led to Rugby League copying the idea in 1980. That's right, the VFL (and SANFL and WAFL) invented the whole State of Origin concept, not the NSWRL. If not for EJ Whitten, the rugby league State of Origin series might not even exist today.

:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.orghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_State_of_Origin#Interstate_Rugby_League_Prior_to_1980

Since the beginning of Australian rugby league in 1908, an interstate competition between Queensland and New South Wales has been conducted from time to time. Until 1979 each team drew its players from the clubs based in that state. No consideration was given to the origins of the players themselves.[2]

The first of these interstate games was played at Sydney's Agricultural Ground on 11 July 1908, before Queensland had even commenced its club competition. New South Wales easily accounted for Queensland in a 43–0 victory. The local media were unimpressed.
Apart from a golden period for Queensland in the 1920s, the interstate series was dominated by New South Wales. From 1922 to 1925 Queensland defeated New South Wales 11 times in 12 matches. At the end of the 1925 season a Kangaroo team was to be picked for touring Great Britain. Instead of announcing an Australian team dominated by Queenslanders, the Australian Rugby League Board of Control informed the media that the Rugby Football League had decided that the Kiwis would provide stronger opposition, and that there would be no Australian tour.[4] The period spanning 1922 to 1929 saw no Australian team play in Great Britain, the only such hiatus outside the two world wars.[5]

The New South Wales dominance of interstate football increased after 1956 when gaming machines were legalised for all registered clubs in New South Wales. This provided New South Wales football clubs with a revenue source unmatched by Queensland clubs. From this time on an increasing number of Queensland players moved to the Sydney competition, becoming ineligible for Queensland state selection. Paul Hogan famously told a Queensland Rugby League gathering in 1977 that "every time Queensland produces a good footballer, he finishes up being processed through a New South Wales poker machine."[6]

Prior to 1956, Qld had won 25% of series played. From 1956–1981 this number dwindled to only 3.8% with only 1 series win, in 1959

I thought how Rabbs and Gus was sending out "Cheerios" to everyone around the world i.e: Baghdad and wherever else, was the final kick in the teeth.

You could watch it live in Baghdad, but not in Melbourne, .... because of Hey hey It's Saturday.

Baffling.

I've been in Thailand and watched a friday night game live, whereas I couldn't have watched it live at home in Melbourne.

That is fuc*ked.

Nine tongues the bag.

!!HAIL, HAIL, EJ WHITTEN!!​

I believe the original Marn Grook League actually originated the whole State of Origin concept.

Thats right, the MGL, not the VAWFL, ShtFul, QueerFL or WAFFLS.

I think it started with the Dreamtime Rainbow Serpents vs the Walk-About Wanderers.

The inaugural score was Serpents (40-22-678) to the Wanderers (37-76-367). The Serpents winning in a "Flaming wombat Shoot-out". Mising only half as many shots as the Wanderers

But you are right, everyone who watched the Rugby League State of Origin should get down on their knees and thank the Lord for TJ Hooker, for without him, where would we be?

I googled this T J Hooker, (The founding father of the State of Origin concept, who we should be thankful for), as I felt a bit silly for having no idea who he was.

Apparently his catch-cry was "WE STUCK IT RIGHT UP 'EM!!".

At first I thought that was an odd thing to say, but have since been assured it is a perfectly normal statement in VFL circles.

What exactly is being stuck into where, and into who, is yet to be known.

He may have held the VFL/World Record for fisting the most behinds, who knows?

But one thing is certain, he loved sticking it up 'em.

juanfarkall

Coach
FWIW, the 9 live coverage was pretty sh*tty.

Where ever possible I listen to live broadcast matches on ABC digital while watching 9 on mute.
There was more than one occasion last night when 9 was showing replays of an incident whilst something much more important was actually happening in the match.

An added advantage is not having to listen to the tag team circle jerk over Hayne/Gidley/Idris(insert name of current overhyped player here) plus whichever ignorant self driven agendas that suit Gould's gambling habits.