What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Off contract at the end of 2021 are:
Blacker
Brittain
De Belin
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
H Lomax
Merrin
Norman
Pereira
Williame

Who would you keep and why?

Blacker - atm no had enough time
Brittain - no
De Belin - hard to make any prediction here.
Dufty - i think his tine is up
Ellis - would need a bid 2021 season
Fuimaono - (see Ellis)
H Lomax - only on a DS contract and probably blocking someone so no
Merrin - time to retire
Norman - enjoy the fashion business
Pereira - probably keep as a good back up
Williame - i hear he can speak French

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
As an outsider's point of view I thought the decision to play Josh Kerr on the right edge was diabolical. He's a big middle forward and doesn't have the greatest lateral movement in defence because of his size. Walker and Latrell were loving it, mostly because Kerr was like a goal post in defence.

I think in Hindsight Griffin would've put a Ford or Fuimaono there after watching that game but it also highlights that Griffin probably doesn't rate Ford or Fuimaono as starters there. That right side is going to be an issue if Griffin can't find the right man for the job.

Heads up though dragons fans. Trial matches are only trial matches and the biggest positive i saw out of the match for the dragons is the Lomax/Ramsey combo is going to cause some headaches for opposition teams.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As an outsider's point of view I thought the decision to play Josh Kerr on the right edge was diabolical. He's a big middle forward and doesn't have the greatest lateral movement in defence because of his size. Walker and Latrell were loving it, mostly because Kerr was like a goal post in defence.

I think in Hindsight Griffin would've put a Ford or Fuimaono there after watching that game but it also highlights that Griffin probably doesn't rate Ford or Fuimaono as starters there. That right side is going to be an issue if Griffin can't find the right man for the job.

Heads up though dragons fans. Trial matches are only trial matches and the biggest positive i saw out of the match for the dragons is the Lomax/Ramsey combo is going to cause some headaches for opposition teams.
From an insiders point of view, lol@souffs

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Yeah you are not wrong, Kerr needs to go back to the front row and I'd put Ford or Fuimaono there and just give them time to develop there. Fuimaono looked pretty good in the indigenous game. I hope they keep the Lomax/Ramsey combo and move Rava over the other side. He and Bird could strike up a nice partnership.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
withcrowd_640.gif

And possibly the only time I’ve ever had my artwork turned into a banner by someone else:
images

slippery5

Juniors
Blacker has to step up and show something worth keeping, has size
Brittain I thought wasn’t bad last year with limited opportunities and I think we will need him in the back half season when AM is shown to be a fail
If Dufty improves and shows his worth keep him , I do wonder if he would be a better 5/8 than Norman

rest can all go IMO
Blacker has been a 10 min player throughout his jnr rep career.

getsmarty

Immortal
While Griffin was in an experimental mood in the CS I would have loved it if he put Ramsey to fullback once the reserves come on and give Dufty a little go at 5/8. His fullback skills are not out of this world, and to be honest in terms of safety and general returning of the ball we would almost be better off going with Mocoidreke. It is once we are in the opposition's red zone that he really comes alive and in that area he is as good or better than most of the top line fullbacks including Teddy and Paps. If this is his strength why not at least give him a go at 5/8?

Agree, although we have Sullivan & Armone also coming through the ranks...my gut feeling is Dufty will look elsewhere for 22....

blacksafake

First Grade
Anyway back to the CS yesterday.

Not in anyway this is meant as an excuse, it never should be, but we had a fair few players playing in positions for the first time and a few players with their first 'serious' hit out in Dragons colours.
The Bunnies had just about their 'known' backline and bar one edge forward, most of their pack in their correct established positions.
Add to this is the 'engine room' ie: Reynolds, Walker & Cook v Hunt, Norman & McCollough.

Bird - playing centre, well short of a gallop, first full hit-out (50 mins)
McCollough - been at the club 5 mins, missed most of last season
Kerr - 1st time on an edge in game situation
Faama - 1st hit out for new club
Clune - playing back-up hooker
Ramsey - only played 3 games
Sims - returning from injury, only played 9 games last year...played like it too

Again not an excuse but stability (i've mentioned before) is a big thing. Bunnies played like a well oiled machine, we played like we had just met and shook hands at a friends BBQ.
Good observations there dragonslayer.
Their spine is probably the best in the nrl at the moment, so if you give them plenty of ball like we did last night they’ll always tear teams apart.
I know plenty of supporters don’t have it, but patience is needed.