What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

Ted bartolo

Juniors
I agree,Don't think with our coaches we can't stop these guys.Our forwards need to win the ruck and you might see our backs doing the same thing

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
What purpose does a comment like this serve on a supporters forum ?
Easy...I had about 10 beers last night....I watched the game...I was shitty...and based off what I saw...and the strength of the roster...I still think they’ll be lucky not to come last.

The purpose the comment serves is to let off some steam after a shitty night.

Last edited:

BIG RIG

Juniors
Watching a replay of the charity shield in a little more depth highlighted to me

- Cody Ramsey , Zac Lomax , Jack Bird and Jordan Periera’s edge defence in the first half was horrific and South’s exploited that

- Corey Norman is a passenger

- Ravalawa should definitely start on 1 wing his defence is probably the best of all the backs

- Dufty seems out of the loop

- Nothing creative seen from McCullough but I’d give him time

- Brayden Williame ain’t even reserve grade standard

- our Forward pack was completely destroyed by south’s

- Was impressed by Fuimaono and Fa’amusili

- Kaide Ellis, Trent Merrin, Blake Lawrie and Daniel Alvaro are all plodders

Overall in my opinion it’s gonna be a long year - our backline attack wise has heaps of potential but defence is bloody worrying

our forward pack is complete and utter shit

and tbh our entire 27 man ‘ first grade’ roster is reserve grade at best and most of those players would struggle to play first grade at the other 15 clubs

Gareth67

First Grade
Watching a replay of the charity shield in a little more depth highlighted to me

- Cody Ramsey , Zac Lomax , Jack Bird and Jordan Periera’s edge defence in the first half was horrific and South’s exploited that

- Corey Norman is a passenger

- Ravalawa should definitely start on 1 wing his defence is probably the best of all the backs

- Dufty seems out of the loop

- Nothing creative seen from McCullough but I’d give him time

- Brayden Williame ain’t even reserve grade standard

- our Forward pack was completely destroyed by south’s

- Was impressed by Fuimaono and Fa’amusili

- Kaide Ellis, Trent Merrin, Blake Lawrie and Daniel Alvaro are all plodders

Overall in my opinion it’s gonna be a long year - our backline attack wise has heaps of potential but defence is bloody worrying

our forward pack is complete and utter shit

and tbh our entire 27 man ‘ first grade’ roster is reserve grade at best and most of those players would struggle to play first grade at the other 15 clubs

Oh for pity sake man - don’t hold back , why don’t you just spit it out and tell us what you really think about the team ! :flushed:

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been discussed already in earlier posts or in another thread.

Don’t normally read too much into players’ reactions post-game, it’s a very closed industry and its easy to understand how friendships can transcend club rivalries these days. I normally don’t make much of seeing a beaten player share a laugh and a joke with an opposition player after the game. It’s a tough sport and a little levity is usually fine.

But seeing Paul Vaughan carry on like a gleeful clown with young Rabbitohs players after the siren was absolutely nauseating.

Frankly, it was hard to see any care factor in his body language. I know it’s just a trial but it’s also a grudge match. Twenty five years ago brawls were a regular occurrence in this match such was the intensity.

That was the way South’s approached the game but by halfway through the first half they were laughing at us during the game. It was hard to take.

Vaughan’s behaviour just fed into the laugh-first ... it looked to make a mockery of the jersey for mine and I was quite angry at his antics.

For those who missed it, he was giving young Rabbitohs players a series of cringeworthy group hugs while laughing and smiling like he was at a comedy festival.

There may be mitigating circumstances and I certainly hope that’s the case.

Otherwise this lad is in need of a major attitude readjustment.

Dragons154

Juniors
Just re watched the game...

Normans presence on the field is absolutely non existent.

Dufty’s defence is a massive concern

Clune looked quite good at 9

not really understanding the hype surrounding feagai, cannot see him challenging Lomax or bird for a centre position.

Lomax and Bird impressed, bit of a question mark over Lomax defence, but he did have a few different wingers on the outside of him. Seemed to pair with Rav the best.

If Rav isn’t picked for a wing position he should be picked in the backrow, he should a lot more aggression and forward momentum than sims, Ford and Blake.

Most surprising of all is the fact that people think JDB will play this year and have the same impact he had on the game 3 years ago!

jeffdragon

Bench
Defence was the problem not our halves.
That's what the forwards are for.
Didn't notice Vaughan was out there till he scored the try.

FlameThrower

Bench
Forgive me if this has been discussed already in earlier posts or in another thread.

Don’t normally read too much into players’ reactions post-game, it’s a very closed industry and its easy to understand how friendships can transcend club rivalries these days. I normally don’t make much of seeing a beaten player share a laugh and a joke with an opposition player after the game. It’s a tough sport and a little levity is usually fine.

But seeing Paul Vaughan carry on like a gleeful clown with young Rabbitohs players after the siren was absolutely nauseating.

Frankly, it was hard to see any care factor in his body language. I know it’s just a trial but it’s also a grudge match. Twenty five years ago brawls were a regular occurrence in this match such was the intensity.

That was the way South’s approached the game but by halfway through the first half they were laughing at us during the game. It was hard to take.

Vaughan’s behaviour just fed into the laugh-first ... it looked to make a mockery of the jersey for mine and I was quite angry at his antics.

For those who missed it, he was giving young Rabbitohs players a series of cringeworthy group hugs while laughing and smiling like he was at a comedy festival.

...the comments about Vaughn and general carry on after the games, just reinforces my belief that these guys just don’t give a frogs. All care no responsibility - there is a major issue with the attitude of all the players at the Dragons. We talk them up, craft out grand plans of a NRL career , only to be smacked down by them. I’m willing to give the Team 5 rounds before pulling the plug on this season.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Dufty.
Ramsey.
Lomax.
Ravalawa.
Pereira.
Bird.
Sullivan
Would be my attempt at a backline for game one ....it won't be selected but I'd like to see it run out for a few weeks I can remember a game where ravalawa and Pereira combined to score a brilliant try I do suspect ravalawa is a centre in waiting......

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes undoubtedly Griffin truly needs to get into these players heads and have them understand that defense is ‘ the ‘ most important aspect of the game. Without it ( as we saw on Saturday ) they can expect to have more cricket scores run up against them . With it ( and a huge improvement ) they will at least be able to compete.

Although some of our trial games have been embarrassing to watch they are nevertheless just that - trial games and as such the good and the bad aspects of the team are shown - this allows a savvy coach to correct the errors before the start of the season proper .

Very early days yet , however I believe that many of our brethren realized that season 2021 would be a hard year for the Dragons , perhaps a bit like removing the scab of a deep wound and releasing the pus from it that has been there for the last 7 long years - it ain’t going to be pretty and it will more than likely hurt just a lil’ bit . :thinking:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Who were the players?
Considering there are a few Ex-Dragons in the Bunnies squad......Host, Sele, Masters, even Cook and Benji.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The only positive was no injury to key players.

Saints definitely need a forward or 2. What the hell are they waiting for? The forwards were being smashed. The backs did well for whatever little they had.

It is going to be an interesting year. If they start the season with a good win over the Sharks, it may give them some belief that they are capable of making finals. If they get flogged, I think the confidence will take a huge dent and the wooden spoon may be heading to Kogarah.

I would not be taking this trial as an indicator. From memory they got flogged in the 2009 charity shield only to come out Minor Premiers at the end of the season. They had a Qld coach then too that year.

BBTB

Juniors
Dufty.
Ramsey.
Lomax.
Ravalawa.
Pereira.
Bird.
Sullivan
Would be my attempt at a backline for game one ....it won't be selected but I'd like to see it run out for a few weeks I can remember a game where ravalawa and Pereira combined to score a brilliant try I do suspect ravalawa is a centre in waiting......

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The only positive was no injury to key players.

Saints definitely need a forward or 2. What the hell are they waiting for? The forwards were being smashed. The backs did well for whatever little they had.

It is going to be an interesting year. If they start the season with a good win over the Sharks, it may give them some belief that they are capable of making finals. If they get flogged, I think the confidence will take a huge dent and the wooden spoon may be heading to Kogarah.

I would not be taking this trial as an indicator. From memory they got flogged in the 2009 charity shield only to come out Minor Premiers at the end of the season. They had a Qld coach then too that year.
For me Lawrie, Kerr and Ford have to go up at least 30% in what they've shown in their First Grade appearances so far! Opportunities to cement a First Grade position don't present themselves forever, and now's the time for them to deliver and have a greater impact on the game. The first 6 weeks should tell us a lot. If they do, it could really make their career, if not well....... Hope it starts with Sharks Slippery!

True_Believer

Juniors
Yes undoubtedly Griffin truly needs to get into these players heads and have them understand that defense is ‘ the ‘ most important aspect of the game. Without it ( as we saw on Saturday ) they can expect to have more cricket scores run up against them . With it ( and a huge improvement ) they will at least be able to compete.

Although some of our trial games have been embarrassing to watch they are nevertheless just that - trial games and as such the good and the bad aspects of the team are shown - this allows a savvy coach to correct the errors before the start of the season proper .

Very early days yet , however I believe that many of our brethren realized that season 2021 would be a hard year for the Dragons , perhaps a bit like removing the scab of a deep wound and releasing the pus from it that has been there for the last 7 long years - it ain’t going to be pretty and it will more than likely hurt just a lil’ bit . :thinking:

2017 lost charity shield 32-14 then went on to win 6 of the first 7 games
2018 lost charity shield 22-18 then went on to win 12 of the first 15 games

There are obviously examples the other way too, but you are right. It's not always a good indication of how the season will start. Having said that, as you say Gareth, I think most supporters recognise it's going to be a long tough season.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
2017 lost charity shield 32-14 then went on to win 6 of the first 7 games
2018 lost charity shield 22-18 then went on to win 12 of the first 15 games
Then based on Saturday night’s effort, we should expect to go through this season undefeated..

Awesome!

Dragon David

First Grade
Consistent strong defence will win a team most games. We have a lot of improvement in basically all of our positions. We relied on JDB and of course McInnes to do most of the hard yakka and now that we have neither, our current crop of forwards lack intensity and sustainability in 80 minutes of football.

We have problems in our backs as well.

Hook and Co. identified this but somehow I don't think they are capable of turning us around as seen in our trial matches.

If they cannot improve our defence then forget about 2021.