What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase Stanley to the Bulldogs

saint.nick

Coach
Fine. And who can they get by releasing Stanley? All I'm asking for is for him to be given a chance with decent halves and a real coach. I know our present super-coach won't make changes unless they are forced on him through injury and even then it's usually Matt Prior no matter the position but that won't be the case with a real coach. If Stanley doesn't perform in the trails and first 1 or 2 rounds max, put him in the Cutters.

I think with a real coach and a team with halves playing in the halves, props playing at prop, wingers on the wings and etc, he will be our best centre next year. It's just my opinion.

Ditto for Matt Prior. There is a reason Hasler and Bellamy, probably the two best coaches in the game, are after Stanley and Prior.

You make a point, but I never see at least any glimpses of above average ability in him. I can see potential in Prior, you're right about him. But not Stanley.

Shulman

Juniors
Sick of waiting for this guy to go off. He's too soft, no mongrel, no attitude! Bring back the Penguin!!

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I used to talk Chase up but now I think he is shit. He'll do something good every now and then but most of the time he plodders along in slow motion. Oh and his defence...shithouse.

hardbaby

Coach
We need a huge clean out. Too many depth players and not enough guys who lock down a position. Sure he has some excuses. But we need to change the culture and that means a new coach and some players that haven't been ruined by Price. When he made his debut for the Kiwis and scored 2 tries as a 19 year old I really thought we were onto something but it was fool's gold. Cya mate.

Blue Dragon

Juniors
Very harsh in my opinion. I would like to see him given a chance playing outside some decent halves and under a proper coach. He is still under contract, the Dragons certainly don't have any salary cap problems and there are no good players left on the open market. Why would anyone be in favor of him leaving? If we are to judge the team on only this year almost every one of them should be released! Why single out Stanley?

If they however want to swap him for J. Morris, I hope the deal is made.

Mate in return for JMoz they can have the entire Stanley family, the Stanley Chainsaw, Groat, Skeija and the rest of the crew Young brought on board for "depth". We have enough depth, we can see China from here.

nrlnrl

First Grade
confirmed
( well just need to finalise some details )
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...kiwis-centre-to-add-depth-20130920-2u5b4.html

Bulldogs nab Kiwis centre to add depth
Date
September 21, 2013

Glenn Jackson
Rugby League Writer

Chase Stanley is set to be the Bulldogs' first back-line signing in the post-Ben Barba era after club officials agreed to terms with the St George Illawarra centre on a two-year deal.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle confirmed to Fairfax Media that the club had agreed a deal with the New Zealand international, and only the finer details of the contract were to be confirmed. ''Another Kiwi joining the ranks, that's good to see,'' Castle said. ''He's a young, talented player, and we think he's going to add some real strength to that back line.''

Off contract at the Dragons, Stanley will leave the club for the second time to join the Bulldogs; two years in Melbourne were sandwiched by two stints at St George Illawarra.

The Dragons have signed Souths centre Dylan Farrell, as well as Newcastle's Peter Mata'utia, to cover for Matt Cooper's retirement, and the club also boasts the promising Charly Runciman and Nathan Green for next year.

The Bulldogs have Krisnan Inu, Tim Lafai and Josh Morris as outside backs, yet the acquisition of Stanley gives Des Hasler's outfit depth in the back line, having lost Barba to Brisbane. ''He gives us options,'' Castle said. ''He's capable of playing centre or wing, and that gives us some stability around those combinations for next year.''

Yet who plays fullback remains the subject of intense scrutiny. There has been speculation that the Bulldogs were attempting to lure Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne to replace Barba, who sought an early release from his contract on compassionate grounds. The Bulldogs have also been linked to Warriors fullback Kevin Locke, as Englishman Sam Tomkins is destined for the Auckland-based club.

Castle said of that speculation: ''We are having no significant discussions with anyone about fullback at the moment.''

Test centre Morris filled in at fullback while Barba was out of the side in the latter part of this season, but it is known he is more comfortable in the centres. Morris is off contract at the end of next season, and the Bulldogs risk losing him if they play him away from his preferred position. The Dragons, where Morris started his career and where his twin brother Brett plays, will be ready to make a move for their former player.

Barba, meanwhile, had ankle surgery on Thursday after being injured in his final match for the Bulldogs, Sunday's loss to Newcastle. Barba suffered a syndesmosis injury, which had plagued him in the final rounds of the regular season.

The surgery is not expected to prevent Barba from having a full off-season with the Broncos.

FlameThrower

Bench
No great loss

..but with this clean out of players where are the guys we are replacing? If the example of losing Smith,Costigan, Saffy with fringe players is the idea surely we are going backwards. Coupled that to club stalwarts Young, Fein, Hornby, Cooper and Soward. Are we any better off...we need replace like for like, not 2 for the Price of one...as has been the last few years mentality...and then most have not even played 1st grade and end up at Cutters....

This deep dive review surely must sound this out as another failure.

jenninga

First Grade
..but with this clean out of players where are the guys we are replacing? If the example of losing Smith,Costigan, Saffy with fringe players is the idea surely we are going backwards. Coupled that to club stalwarts Young, Fein, Hornby, Cooper and Soward. Are we any better off...we need replace like for like, not 2 for the Price of one...as has been the last few years mentality...and then most have not even played 1st grade and end up at Cutters....

This deep dive review surely must sound this out as another failure.

Did you know we have recruited players for next season,Mata utai and Farrell are centres,Beale has played centres.What do people want ,to keepdeadwood or freshen a struggling squad.
And it looks like Prior will be staying.

dragondad

First Grade
Did you know we have recruited players for next season,Mata utai and Farrell are centres,Beale has played centres.What do people want ,to keepdeadwood or freshen a struggling squad.
And it looks like Prior will be staying.

That's interesting about Prior. How did that happen? Many of us feel that he was not used properly and made a scapegoat.

TruSaint

Referee
Yep,
Prior has played centre, prop, lock etc.
Very versatile player. Just needs to fix his handing.

jenninga

First Grade
Yep,
Prior has played centre, prop, lock etc.
Very versatile player. Just needs to fix his handing.

This is the funny thing.It's only Price who sees Prior as versatile,he is not a centre or a backrower,he is a prop and his best performances suggest this ,as they have all been as a prop.