What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase to get first go at centre spot

Cagey Mac

Bench
Scott is not a center. No step, no speed and no off load however he is a good second row player.

Soward is the man who should be pulling strings to make the right side sing. I hope this year he delivers some good ball to his right side mates and fools the opposition by taking the ball to the line and stepping through to set up Kyle on the inside or Nightingale on the outside.

Scott's not my first option for centre either but it's what I'm told is our best option at present.
Two parts of a centre's game are obviously attack and defence. Scott may be the best defensive centre in the game. He's not the fastest nor the slowest outside back to play the game and Bennett thought that he had the potential to do the job for us prior to Gaz' return.
If De Belin is outstanding (and this is opinion du jour) and Prior or Young or a combo of both do the job at lock and neither Vidot or Chase are up to the mark then Price's logic may we be very sound. Certainly the Scott option puts more pressure on both Chase and Vidot to improve their defensive capabilities.
Again if De Belin is training as well as is suggested and then having a 107kg back row is a formidable asset
Weyman - Rein (King, Fein)- Merrin
Creagh - De Belin
Young (or Prior)

And a bench of
Hunt
Au Mau
Prior (or Young)
King (or Fein)

The move of Scott to centre, though not a dazzling option does leave us with a capable backline; Scott is very hard to tackle one on one and if used to draw defence in can free Nighty up for Soward’s long passing game to come into effect.

Coaches don’t get the kind of responsibility that they have for having a lack of forethought. Rugby League coaching IMO, is a chess game and I’m thinking that Steve Price may be an NRL Garry Kasparov…. We’ll all find out soon.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
Let's face facts, if Chase Stanley is a weak defender after being coached by both Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy then there is no hope for the kid :p

But honestly, I really liked what I saw of Chase in the few games he played for Melbourne. He's always been a super talented kid but IMO he was thrown into First Grade waayyyy to early by Nathan Brown and probably would have benefited by being brought along slowly and spending time playing NYC etc in the same way that Kyle Stanley was.

He's still very young, yet has a heap of experience. Let's give him a chance, cos my bet is that he will have a lot of us eating our words by the end of the season (with a bit of luck on the injury front).

Noa

First Grade
Chase in his one game for Melbourne last year did more then Vidot has ever done.

And are people really holding it against Chase that he made defensive errors as a 19 year-old center.

Guvner

First Grade
Scott's not my first option for centre either but it's what I'm told is our best option at present.
Two parts of a centre's game are obviously attack and defence. Scott may be the best defensive centre in the game. He's not the fastest nor the slowest outside back to play the game and Bennett thought that he had the potential to do the job for us prior to Gaz' return.
If De Belin is outstanding (and this is opinion du jour) and Prior or Young or a combo of both do the job at lock and neither Vidot or Chase are up to the mark then Price's logic may we be very sound. Certainly the Scott option puts more pressure on both Chase and Vidot to improve their defensive capabilities.
Again if De Belin is training as well as is suggested and then having a 107kg back row is a formidable asset
Creagh - De Belin
Young (or Prior)

And a bench of
Hunt
Au Mau
Prior (or Young)
King (or Fein)

The move of Scott to centre, though not a dazzling option does leave us with a capable backline; Scott is very hard to tackle one on one and if used to draw defence in can free Nighty up for Soward’s long passing game to come into effect.

Coaches don’t get the kind of responsibility that they have for having a lack of forethought. Rugby League coaching IMO, is a chess game and I’m thinking that Steve Price may be an NRL Garry Kasparov…. We’ll all find out soon.

Spot on.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Beau Scott at 3 with Jack De Belin into the second row as a starter

I'd go Prior. His best year was 09 on the edge. No probs with Scott at centre if thats what works to start out with. Worked fine in 09 until the big games and 10 until Le Gaz came back.

Chase Stanley will surprise a few people this year

Yep.

Creagh - De Belin
Young (or Prior)[/FONT
And a bench of
Hunt
Au Mau
Prior (or Young)
King (or Fein)

Yep.

Let's face facts, if Chase Stanley is a weak defender after being coached by both Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy then there is no hope for the kid :p

But honestly, I really liked what I saw of Chase in the few games he played for Melbourne. He's always been a super talented kid but IMO he was thrown into First Grade waayyyy to early by Nathan Brown and probably would have benefited by being brought along slowly and spending time playing NYC etc in the same way that Kyle Stanley was.

He's still very young, yet has a heap of experience. Let's give him a chance, cos my bet is that he will have a lot of us eating our words by the end of the season (with a bit of luck on the injury front).

Yep.

Chase in his one game for Melbourne last year did more then Vidot has ever done.

And are people really holding it against Chase that he made defensive errors as a 19 year-old center.

I'm not. Some do.

Scott is the safe option.
C Stanley is potentially the best option.
Vidot is the wildcard.

Yep.
Yep.
Yep.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I'd go Prior. His best year was 09 on the edge. No probs with Scott at centre if thats what works to start out with. Worked fine in 09 until the big games and 10 until Le Gaz came back.

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

I'm not. Some do.

Yep.
Yep.
Yep.

You're so disagreeable!

Godz Illa

Coach
rofl I love how BBC slides Cuthbo into every post about key players we've lost. He genuinely rates him alongside the likes of Boyd, Gaz, Smith and Costi. I bet he's photoshopped him into pics of the 2010 GF celebrations

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
My Mums up in Sydney visiting me from Cooma this weekend Hutty.

Ya farkin lucky Price didn't pick Beau in the centres this week. A quick detour in Canberra would be on the cards and you'd soon regret ever making that kind of promise.

My old man would love it though. Hour or two at the boozer without being nagged. He'll surely be hoping to christ that Scott plays centre sooner rather than later.

Bring back choc

Juniors
rofl I love how BBC slides Cuthbo into every post about key players we've lost. He genuinely rates him alongside the likes of Boyd, Gaz, Smith and Costi. I bet he's photoshopped him into pics of the 2010 GF celebrations

We'll see who's proven correct... Champ.

Cuthbo carried our pack towards end of season. You obviously have glasses that are a tad to rosy.

But that's ok. That's why forums are here. To keep it real.

Word.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I hope i'm proved wrong but I rekon guys like Vea, Matthews, Vidot, Miller, Ah Mau and Latimore are going to be pretty shit this year. We will be held afloat by guys like Nighty, Morris, Beau and Creagh. Weyman will keep getting dominated, Hunt will drop a whole lotta pill, and Prior will fall asleep during a match. I just got a bad feeling this will be a long season.