What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherry Evans backflips on the Titans

Will Cherry-Evans reputation ever recover?

• Yes, everyone will forgive and forget

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • No, he will always be a merkin

Votes: 91 71.7%

• Total voters

Canard

Immortal
They had big money for DCE and it has come to nothing. You need more than cash. Rarely do top tier halves move clubs.

I expect your analysis of Manly next year to include the usual "you can't spend that much money on one player and expect to win" line.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ben Ikin got it right, DCE should have come out and said I got it a bit wrong during the whole negotiation process, but I realised I wanted to be a Manly player and I'm very sorry the Titans have ended up where they have as a result.

We got the sorry part but we've also had 'the opportunity to stay a one-club player was enticing', 'it's not time to sit around and talk about the things I could change' and that Neil Henry was happy he made the call. Coz you know, someone else making that call would've been gutless.

no name

Referee
Have they had the 1pm press conference yet?

Pretty shitty timing but good luck to him, if you can attract that kind of offer, you'd be mad to turn it down.
Should have been a bit more transparent regarding Manly being in negotiation, rather than say 'nothing's changed'

It sucks that he isn't going to the Titans, but it will suck more if they can't convince Sezer to stay.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Best Joke post on here in a while.

Actually laughed out loud whilst reading.

Cherry Evans is overrated and carries on like a spoilt brat. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Stats last year showed Reynolds and Cherry Evans were quite even. In fact I'm pretty sure Reynolds had slightly better stats.

This is the statement from Manly's website -

DCE 'A Sea Eagle for life'
Wed 3rd June, 01:00PM

Daly Cherry Evans today announced that he will be a Sea Eagle for life.

“It is with great pleasure and humility I can confirm I will be continuing my stay with the Sea Eagles, Daly said."

“This gives me an opportunity to become a one club player which is something I have always dreamed of since I arrived as an 18-year-old.

“I like to thank the Manly Warringah Members and supporters for all their support. I hope they are just as pleased with this decision as I am.”

Cherry-Evans today signed a playing contract that will keep him at Brookvale until the end of his NRL career. This will make the 26-year-old a one club player.

A Mackay Brothers junior, Cherry-Evans came through the lower grade ranks at the Sea Eagles before making his NRL and Club debut in Manly’s 2011 Premiership year. He has gone on to play for Queensland and Australia out of the Sea Eagles system.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Chairman Scott Penn said the long term deal was befitting of a player of Daly’s stature in the game.

“Daly is the calibre of player that the Club can continue to build a premiership winning culture around,” Penn said.

“Daly has already played in 2 Grand Finals for the Club and won a Clive Churchill medal. He is at the top of his game and this contract reflects how valuable he is to the Sea Eagles and how important he will be for our future success.”

“We are very confident that this signing will be the tipping point for the Sea Eagles future recruitment plans.”

CEO Joe Kelly said the re-signing of Cherry-Evans was a massive boost for the Club.

“Today is a wonderful and historic moment for the Sea Eagles, our sponsors, members and supporters. Daly is one of the best halves in the game and has a long-term representative career in front of him at both State and National level,” Kelly said.

“To now know that he is committed to being a one Club player for Manly Warringah is extremely satisfying.”

Head Coach Geoff Toovey said it was great news for the side.

“Daly is an integral member of our team, and his experience and leadership skills are invaluable, especially to the younger players coming through,” Toovey said.

“This is a great confidence boost heading into the business end of the season.”

Captain Jamie Lyon spoke on behalf of team-mates.

“We gave Daly the time and space he needed to make the right decision for him and his family,’’ Lyon said.

“Naturally we’re ecstatic that Daly will be wearing the Sea Eagles colours for the rest of his career.”

They had big money for DCE and it has come to nothing. You need more than cash. Rarely do top tier halves move clubs.
Indeed, but a solid halves pairing with strike outside them will usually succeed.

As much as DCE is a c**k this could turn out just as or at least almost as good for the Titans, if they do it right. The problem is anyone they sign will want an extra 100k because they know they have it, which will put them right back to where they are now.

BunniesMan

Immortal
"lifetime contract"

How does that work? DCE is saying job security is the big factor that made him make this decision. So how many years is he guaranteed? What happens if he gets fat and starts playing shit?

Keffola

Juniors
Cherry Evans is overrated and carries on like a spoilt brat. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Stats last year showed Reynolds and Cherry Evans were quite even. In fact I'm pretty sure Reynolds had slightly better stats.

I rate Adam Reynolds & imo if fit he should have been in the NSW origin side for Hodgkinson.

That he's comparable to DCE is a matter of opinion, from a Souths fan I can accept that....

But then to compare DCE to Mitchell Pearce..... that just made me lol.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Rough on the Titans. However I still think they have some cleaning to do. Bird, Taylor, Zillman. I'd take the opportunity to push them on and try to load their squad up with quality depth. There's opportunity at the Titans if players are willing to take it.

Manly needed to hold onto one of their halves. Still in a transition period though. Need more than Myles to bolster that pack.

Theyre not going to, and he doesnt want to stay.

Yep. Ayoub said publicly 2 days ago that no matter what happens, Sezer isn't backflipping.

Of course that could be complete rubbish you never know, but from all reports Sezer is excited to be coached by Ricky and I doubt after the Titans dubbed him Plan B he would be happy to stay.

Really feel for the Titans but two backflips don't right a wrong... or something.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The only real fear I have is if the titans panic and offer sezer a ludicrous deal which he would be a fool to turn down. All things being equal I feel pretty good hes playing for Canberra next year.

If the titans are smart they should use this as a chance to rebuild the trenches. Look far and wide for players who can do the job in the forwards.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I rate Adam Reynolds & imo if fit he should have been in the NSW origin side for Hodgkinson.

That he's comparable to DCE is a matter of opinion, from a Souths fan I can accept that....

But then to compare DCE to Mitchell Pearce..... that just made me lol.

Fair enough mate.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
"lifetime contract"

How does that work? DCE is saying job security is the big factor that made him make this decision. So how many years is he guaranteed? What happens if he gets fat and starts playing shit?

Same thing that happened with the raiders and campo. He didn't get fat but his knees were held together with sticky tape.

Its a big risk for manly basically.

Latest posts