What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chirpy Jamie Soward stirs Melbourne Storm

Cooper-Man

Bench
HE celebrated as though he'd just won a grand final last time around, but Dragons halfback Jamie Soward faces a far greater test on Monday night - a full-strength Melbourne Storm.
The Storm's fired-up Origin stars will ask Soward to walk the walk after he talked the talk against a virtual reserve-grade Melbourne outfit in round 10. With Melbourne missing nine Origin players, Soward tormented the patched-up outfit, scoring a try, setting up another three and kicking six goals in a brilliant man-of-the-match performance.
The Storm, particularly their Origin contingent, are still fuming over what they considered to be over-exuberant celebrations by Soward. Privately, they feel he was over the top and didn't show their teammates sufficient respect in the 36-12 thumping.
Storm prop Brett White said last night: "We'll see how he goes this time."
White was one of three NSW players in the crowd that night - alongside Ryan Hoffman and Anthony Quinn. With Origin players stood down from club fixtures, the trio was unable to do anything to stop Soward, with the crafty playmaker steering the Dragons to the first of seven straight wins, a streak that lasted until last weekend.
"It's a different line-up to the last time they played," White said.
Soward immediately jumped to his own defence last night, describing his celebrations as an "outlet of emotions" having re-signed with the Dragons for two more years earlier that week.
"If you speak to any of my teammates, I'm not a person that carries on," said Soward. "For me, it's been a pretty torrid trip coming over to the Dragons. I haven't been in first grade consistently, so it wasn't any disrepect to Melbourne.
"It was the fact that it was just good for me to put in a good performance personally.
"And I'd just re-signed with the club. I'm not into disrespecting the team or anything like that despite what anyone else thinks. I re-signed that week and I guess it all came out. I was happy that night. It was good to get a win. For me it was pretty important.
"I guess it was just an outlet of emotions that night."
The Storm will be at full strength at Olympic Park with White (back) the only injury concern. They have won their past two games post-Origin and are starting to look more threatening each week.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24037376-5006066,00.html

Stupid storm. Hope soward has a blinder.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. Storm trying to manufacture a Mundine-styled gaffe. Sorry guys, its doesn't work that way. You're better off just playing footy.

redvscotty

First Grade
i would like soward to score a hat trick and then moon all melbourne supporters in the crowd.

Ribs

Bench
Seems the Storm are short of motivation if they are trying to manufacture that...... Id say its more a media job though, poor Jamie didnt know what they were on about.

I have a good feeling about this game, like they've been aiming for this for a couple of weeks. If Saints were a race horse Id say it had been prepared for this one.

Mr Red

First Grade
If Saints were a race horse Id say it had been prepared for this one.

hmmmm....i hope you are right about that. are you speaking with your heart or head..

i hope the boys win and prove that they are finals contenders, not pretenders... but using your "horse analogy" i think they might be off to the glue factory after the match ... :(:(

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Have to chuckle at the 'research' done for the article.

'Privately, they feel he was over the top and didn't show their teammates sufficient respect'
By Dave Donaghy

Methinks Dave had a deadline to meet.

Cooper-Man

Bench
the dragons better take this and run. This is going to have to be their best performance of the year. they need to play for 100mins not 80. they can match it with these blokes. Ryles, Gaz and now soward have a point to prove.:crazy:

j0nesy

Bench
I can smell an upset brewing. We will beat Melbourne in the forwards, the rest will depend on our backs and our goal line defence. Now the dust has settled over Gaz's future the boys can concentrate on the footy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Kiki

First Grade
hahahah wow. i think i just lost at approx 500 brain cells reading those threads.

ive never met a storm fan i didnt want to punch in the face. and the team is mostly loathsome. except this is really cute and makes my ovaries twinge with joy

Uivzr60c5belj1ecOpApe6qX_400.jpg

This Year?

Immortal
And their supporters are all mad as cut snakes.

Hey... deja vu...

1. Storm 'insults' Dragons http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=154485
19-09-06

2. Unlucky guys http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=154958
23-09-06

3. a public thank you http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=155182
25-09-06

4. Princess is back http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=177905
18-07-07

:lol: All that seems so long ago....still funny though. It makes me wonder how many of them would stick with their team once they became average.

sass

Juniors
:lol: All that seems so long ago....still funny though. It makes me wonder how many of them would stick with their team once they became average.

yeah I think you can really tell that the storm fans have never been fans of a losing team. I think they'll calm down a bit once they've been through the drought years every other team has gone through.

it breeds humility I say!

Last edited:

sass

Juniors
ps if you ever read this jamie please don't moon. I love you darlin ... but no.

matt cooper you are welcome to do it for him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yeah I think you can really tell that the storm fans have never been fans of a losing team. I think they'll calm down a bit once they've been through the drought years every other team has gone through.

it breeds humility I say!
I used to say the same stuff to Broncos fans. They would just drop the jaw and look confused (which granted, happens frequently) and say something like, 'sorry, I don't follow'... before wiping their nose.

I think they're just beginning to understand.

Latest posts