What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choc rumours AGAIN!!

Brimmer

Juniors
But to be fair... half of those line breaks were caused by Macca's woeful defence....

Kris_man

Bench
oh yeah good strategy: don't worry about the other teams making line breaks, because we'll have our top-notch defensive fullback to save the day :roll: . anyway, when a good team makes a break, they'll have good support play, and there'll be nothing the fullback can do to stop the try.

and don't you guys remember when under Meninga Macca used to play fullback like, every game?? it's not something that's new to him. what he does have now which he didn't before was a kicking game, so he could play a Hunt/Walker/Lockyer style of fullback, that is, as another playmaker, rather than just a runner like Minichiello.

legend

Coach
I think Macca is on the way out of the club. he has had seven years to cement a spot and still hasn't fulfilled his enormous potential. How much longer will the club persist with a player like Macca when we desperately need to grow into a premiership threat?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont mind the idea
just if it were to happen i think we would need to see a more than solid improve in maccas defencive game, a good off season might do the trick

Kris_man

Bench
just if it were to happen i think we would need to see a more than solid improve in maccas defencive game, a good off season might do the trick
Macca's defence needs to improve, regardless of where he's playing next year.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kris_man said:
Macca's defence needs to improve, regardless of where he's playing next year.

well said

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
Well as much as I hate to say itas I'm a Mclinden fan but if has another poor season in 2005 maybe it is time to let him go with Campese and Carney and Zillman and even Dobson coming through his style may not be needed. But in saying that I've never seen Zillman and Dobson play and Carney and Campese only in the 1st grade appearences. As for McLinden at fullback I don't hate the idea but I think I'd prefer Graham at fullback lots of room to move and to really uses his extreme speed.

McLinden isn't that fast either not over a long distance and when he's faced with guys like Tate running around him like the broncos game at bruce where he got the better of Schifcofske once then got chopped down from the line metres short of the line on his next raid by Schif I think the team needs a solid defender not that Graham is that but his speed will give him more ability to get those one's like the Amos Roberts intercept that still haunts me.

Bring on 2005 I can't wait!!!

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:
Ed, Gower is off contract at the end of next year and has been offered huge money to go to Salford. Somewhere in the vicintiy of 1.5 million pounds over five years which would equate to 3.3 million AUD or 660k per season which is pretty good money and probably double what he is on now. His manager said Gower is already worth 6 million and he is almost certain to join Salford in 2006. For a young bloke, the money on offer from Salford is simply too good to knock back and will set him up for life.

If Schif leaves at the end of next year, he will be 30 going on 31 and it's fair to say his best days would be behind him and whilst he is one of our best, we have to come to terms with players not having the loyalty to clubs they once had. It's a part of professional sport these days unfortunately.

That money is not really all that good. The cost of living is twice what it is in Australia, with housing and everything being about double. I doubt $600,000 a season, once you take tax into account, would set him up for life....

Tidus_Raider

Bench
We also have:

NAME: LUKE GRAY
D.O.B: 26/02/86
CADET TERM: 1st Year
POSITION: Centre, Fullback
ORIGIN: Goulburn, NSW
WEIGHT: 83kg
HEIGHT: 5'6
NICKNAME:
REP HONOURS: 2003 NSW U'17 State of Origin, CCC Schoolboys, 2003 SG Ball Premiers
OTHER INTERESTS: Fishing and Golf
GOALS: To make first grade and keep improving
BEST THING ABOUT THE CADET PROGRAM?: Access to the best facilities and a chance to work with young kids.

Along with Goodwin and Chalk. To be honest with you I think I hope next year is Schif's last. He has been a great servant for the club on and off the field but I think the end of 05 will see him head off to england.

I hope we can hang on to all this young talent. Another player who is with the club I had never heard of is Nick Fredericks. He is a winger that is also a Aust. Schollboy in 2002.

Edwahu

Bench
Adrian Purtell played a bit of fullback in premier league as well and he is only 17 or 18, so there are plenty coming through.

Vicious

Bench
McLinden would be a great fullback.

1.Mark McLinden/Bronx Goodwin
2.Marshall Chalk/Michael Robertson
3.Craig Frawley/David Howell
4.Adam Mogg/Jermaine Ale
5.Phil Graham/Damon Alley-Tovio
6.Todd Carney/Terry Campese
7.Michael Witt
13.Jason Smith/Nathan Smith/Alan Tongue
12.Jason Croker/Josh Miller/Kris Kahler/Michael Howell
11.Ian Hindmarsh/Michael Hodgson/Alan Rothery/Terry Martin
10.Michael Weyman/Matt Adamson/Troy Thompson
9.Simon Woolford/Lincoln Withers
8.Ryan O`Hara/Ben Cross

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed said:
When the hell did we sign Michael Witt? Or Withers?

good point
and junior kangarooist David Milne would surely be ahead David Howell, for mine he needs to earn his spot in the pecking order, no free rides
also he is ahead of Alley-Tovio

Kris_man

Bench
Alley-Tovio is one of those prodigy young guys who's still yet to cut it in firsts. We seem to attract a lot of those players...

thickos

First Grade
At least they are recruiting for the future kris. Better to have a crop of good kids with potential than not.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Other than Adamson and Smith i can't really see any of our signings actually cement or deserve a first grade spot unless we have a major shortage of quality players through long term injury.
I know Jermaine Ale is an outstanding young centre but fact is, this year he is a Flegg player, next year he will be a premier league player, same for Bronx Goodwin. Under Elliott, there is no way in this world that a Flegg player can excel straight to the NRL and play there for a full season. Ale may get 2 or 3 games because "we want to develop him and he is too young" or whatever. And yes i do actually agree with Elliott on this one.
But come on look at the quality of outside backs ahead of Ale. Mogg, Frawley, Graham are all miles ahead for a centre spot. In premier league we got Franciscus, Mundine, Milne and as much as i hate to say it but this is an Elliott for sure - Bulgarelli is lightyears ahead of Ale, especially in attack. :roll: .
But seriously i think 2004 was the year to develop our premier league players and they may be ready to step up now. 2005 will be the year to develop Ale and Goodwin and their turn will come in '06.
The Howell brothers :lol: - How on earth are they going to get a spot in our team. Good luck to em.
Next year will see the mighty Canberra Raiders bounce back to the form of '03 with a bang. Competition for spots in the 17 will be fierce and im expecting McLinden, Graham and Hodgson to have massive years.

Latest posts