What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Anderson to help Stephen Kearney at Parramatta Eels

Gronk

Staff member
He failed at the roosters but before that he was successful with the sharks, storm, dogs and aust. What is a reputation previous suggestions to help out included Taylor whose reputation is not the best after his southd gig and posters have mentioned Brian smith and his reputation is seen as a choker.

Is he the best option ? No but the best options are coaching. And any option not coaching such Stuart would not take this type of role . While others like graham Murray well I can't see how he is any better or worse than Anderson .

Apparantly Daniel Anderson is a shit coach because he is not coaching NRL anymore. What does that say for a former NRL coach who had to resort to coaching an Irish Rugby side and Sydney team Southern Districts in the Shute Shield ?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Apparantly Daniel Anderson is a shit coach because he is not coaching NRL anymore. What does that say for a former NRL coach who had to resort to coaching an Irish Rugby side and Sydney team Southern Districts in the Shute Shield ?

Anderson may or may not be the answer, we won't know until he is given the role (if it happens) and spends some time performing his duties. My point is he is as experienced and as successful if not more then any other option suggested so we should not just assume his appointment is a waste of time.

I am sure if Daniel Anderson was not our ex coach he would had also been mentioned as an option.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Nice whinge about Ricky, but I don't see anyone around here really banging the drum for his appointment.

I'm glad you agree that Kearney has struggled. I have said all along that he needs a mentor (that is if they won't sack him), but as you said about appointing the first coach that comes along - I would not be appointing Anderson just because he's the only one available.

Clearly Spag's angle is that SK & Anderson go way back and SK has respect for him. That's a great ice breaker, but that does not mean that Anderson is the right man to give the right advice.
Quite a few people on here were talking up Sticky, some even said they would take ANYONE bar Kearney. Thats the sort of rubbish thinking that got us were we are today.

The club wanted to appoint a mentor or an assistant and he said no, so they say to him who do you trust who would you be happy with and he says Anderson, a two time premiership coach and former Aussie coach. Was he my first choice no, but if he's the man Kearney thinks can help him i'm all for it. If we are still struggling this time next year we should throw all our cash at an off contract Bellamy, him Hasler and Bennett are really the only guys i would sack SK for and they are all under contract for next year.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
DA is gone can't we all just move on??? ;-)

Gazzamatta

Coach
Its all a political game in my opinion.
Pressure Kearney to choose a mentor/assistant,Stage 1.
If this fails the boards moves to stage 2. Replace Kearney.
Its all about process.
This year is done and dusted so make all your plays before the season ends in the hope that someone new, if required, will be appointed to start 2013.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Oh dear.

Chris Anderson is a TERRIBLE coach. He was an innovator who lost his way and ended up trying 'cheap tricks' to get an advantage. None of which worked (prime example the 1 marker experiment. It failed miserably in the pre-season, so he took it with him into the season proper).

Avenger

Immortal
According to this article a rookie coach currently running last dictates who should help him. Sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me.

Noise

Coach
If Anderson did come on board, i wonder if the contract would be for the remainder of the year or for next year too? This might be an indicator of what the board are thinking in regards to kearney - A contract for the rest of the year only may mean that If we do well for that period kearney and anderson stay, if not they get the punt perhaps?

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
My first thought was (if there is indeed any truth to the article - who knows these days?) NO! Now we have two coaches to pay out next year. My concern with Chris Anderson is that he is out of touch with the modern game. Time will tell, I guess.

However, after giving it some thought, I agree with Gazzamatta. It is all about the process. This season is gone. Why payout Kearney now and then spend more money for a caretaker coach? We may as well finish the year with Kearney. If we end the year well (by stringing a few wins together), then he has earned the right to start the 2013 season (as he is under contract anyway) - where results must be shown early. If not, good bye SK at the end of this year. It actually looks like someone has thought about this. I happy to see the board/Chairman or whoever not making rash decisions and keeping their options open.

WOE

Tony Bongo

Bench
The Telegraph has just confirmed it

Eels appoint Anderson to new coaching role in bid to help struggling Kearney
Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
June 29, 2012 9:59AM

Daniel Anderson (seen here with Ken Arthurson) has been appointed as coaching director of Parramatta. Source: The Daily Telegraph

Chris Anderson will today start his new role as coaching director at Parramatta after agreeing to a short-term deal with the club last night.

Anderson's appointment ends the long and checkered search for a senior figure to guide to head coach Stephen Kearney, who has won just nine games since taking control last year.

The Eels board had previously offered to hire Jason Taylor or Graham Lowe as mentors, but Kearney declined both suggestions.

This week, however, Kearney nominated Anderson - whom he won a premiership with in Melbourne 13 years ago - as his preferred option.

The former Australian Test coach agreed to come on board for the remainder of this season, and will travel to Parramatta Stadium two or three times a week.

The Eels board is also keen on retaining the combination for 2013, provided it lifts the team's fortunes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ruggling-kearney/story-e6frexnr-1226411887559

I don't see a problem with appointing someone with Anderson's experience. It says he is only here at this stage until the end of the year anyway and I don't know if people have looked at the ladder lately but we can't get any lower than we are.
If results improve they both stay and if we continue to lose then perhaps neither of them will be here. Why are some so opposed to this decision? Are some of you worried that it actually might work? I hope it does but if it doesn't I'm really interested in knowing what the plan B is now.

Gronk

Staff member
OK there you go. Looking forward to the improved results.

#nomoreexcuses

Noise

Coach
The Telegraph has just confirmed it

Eels appoint Anderson to new coaching role in bid to help struggling Kearney
Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
June 29, 2012 9:59AM

Daniel Anderson (seen here with Ken Arthurson) has been appointed as coaching director of Parramatta. Source: The Daily Telegraph

Chris Anderson will today start his new role as coaching director at Parramatta after agreeing to a short-term deal with the club last night.

Anderson's appointment ends the long and checkered search for a senior figure to guide to head coach Stephen Kearney, who has won just nine games since taking control last year.

The Eels board had previously offered to hire Jason Taylor or Graham Lowe as mentors, but Kearney declined both suggestions.

This week, however, Kearney nominated Anderson - whom he won a premiership with in Melbourne 13 years ago - as his preferred option.

The former Australian Test coach agreed to come on board for the remainder of this season, and will travel to Parramatta Stadium two or three times a week.

The Eels board is also keen on retaining the combination for 2013, provided it lifts the team's fortunes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ruggling-kearney/story-e6frexnr-1226411887559

I don't see a problem with appointing someone with Anderson's experience. It says he is only here at this stage until the end of the year anyway and I don't know if people have looked at the ladder lately but we can't get any lower than we are.
If results improve they both stay and if we continue to lose then perhaps neither of them will be here. Why are some so opposed to this decision? Are some of you worried that it actually might work? I hope it does but if it doesn't I'm really interested in knowing what the plan B is now.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone can argue with that. if it works and we improve then awesome, they stay. If results continue as they have been then see you later.