What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

ANTiLAG

First Grade
completely irrelevant point.

The whole piece isn't just about one isolated incident. It's about the lack of respect female reporters in sport receive from male athletes compared to men.

You cannot simply say "if the genders were reversed..."

With this beatup bringing up issues (or misguided accusations)of 'sexism' and 'sexist' behaviour by Gayle and the boys, #smooth, then the counter factual is relevant so as to determine what is objectively acceptable behaviour between the sexes.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member

The whole piece isn't just about one isolated incident. It's about the lack of respect female reporters in sport receive from male athletes compared to men.

The number of incidents where female reporters have been disrespected by professional male athletes, I'm confident, excessively outnumbers the number of incidents where male reporters have been disrespected by professional female reporters.

That is a trend. And it needs to stop.

Ignorant comments such as yours are exactly the problem.

Gayle is a dickhead, should cop a massive fine and a suspension. He should go and learn some f**king manners and respect. Carrying on as if he's got the talent of Brian Lara, when he's actually more on a level of Shahid Afridi.

Why is it irrelevant? Why is one situation viewed differently to the other because of the gender?

Was it professional? No. Should he have apologised? Yes he did. I just don't think the reaction fits

Sure, if the guy is a creep with repeated infringements (worse than this one) then it's a different story.

My comment was based on this incident specifically

I don't know Gayle personally so I don't know if he's a dickhead, I assume you do to make such judgement

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Why is it irrelevant? Why is one situation viewed differently to the other because of the gender?

Was it professional? No. Should he have apologised? Yes he did. I just don't think the reaction fits

Sure, if the guy is a creep with repeated infringements (worse than this one) then it's a different story.

My comment was based on this incident specifically

I don't know Gayle personally so I don't know if he's a dickhead, I assume you do to make such judgement

I agree with most of this except for the isolated incident part.

What if his average before this interview was 60% of reporters saying yes?

Even if its only 10% - if that is his best "scoring shot" as the rest are below 10% - does he have to put that shot away?

Our version of Mel in NZ is Laura Guptill, married to, yeah you guessed it. They met during a cricket interview, he asked her out.

Today she interviewed him on the sideline during the match, but spoke entirely like like familial strangers - I could not but help but think they were having a little joke about Mel and Gayle.

But here is the big one - what would the public's reaction have been had Mel displayed excitement and said "Yes, but the BBL has me working late most nights so it will have to be a match. I get off around the same time as you tonight - meet 11 outside the gates?"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/75633371/Laura-McGoldricks-interview-with-husband-Martin-Guptill-a-contrast-to-Chris-Gayle

Over 60% in NZ support Gayle. Only 29% think it was inappropriate.

Last edited:
Chris Rogers - the dude who turned up late to the post-Ashes give-the-key-to-the-city celebrations at the Opera House, was completely pissed off his t!ts, could hardly string two words together and had to be taken away from the kids after scribbling on their stuff and needing a spew?

JJ

Immortal
That's a very poor, near irrelevant, counter argument.

That is El Derpo's MO

The number of incidents where female reporters have been disrespected by professional male athletes, I'm confident, excessively outnumbers the number of incidents where male reporters have been disrespected by professional female reporters.

That is a trend. And it needs to stop.

Ignorant comments such as yours are exactly the problem.

Gayle is a dickhead, should cop a massive fine and a suspension. He should go and learn some f**king manners and respect. Carrying on as if he's got the talent of Brian Lara, when he's actually more on a level of Shahid Afridi.

:clap: :clap:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Fundamentally the lady was just trying to do her job. If Gayle had asked her out later on when she wasnt trying to be a professional that is fine. People in her position are taught not to make themselves the story. She has no real way of turning him down without making a fuss.

Off duty she can absolutely do that.

It was also just cringe worthy. She was obviously not interested (this makes her a f**kwit according to antilag) and I don't need to see a bloke bomb out on my family focuses hit and giggle comp. I compared it to warney trying to get lily Allen to wave at him in 09. I almost passed out it was so cringe.

I like a good cringe comedy me but there is a time and a place. Cricketers have proven themselves to be essentially socially geniused recently. Slater asking Brett Lee what it was like to kiss a girl was also completely embarrassing. Probably the equal of Gayle tbh.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Plenty of double/edged pun material here.

"The media is blowing a Gayle in furious indignation."

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You didn't seriously try to suggest there's something scientific going on there?

strawman.jpg

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Cringe factor was of Warnian proportions

Yep, i dont get why people are saying if warne did it nobody would care ? Warne is one of the biggest plonkers in pro sports. His antics cost himself the australian captaincy. He is basically a walking punchline. The perfect example of a guy who is an absolute genius at one thing but a total wreck at everything else.

Warne was criticised for his dumb antics after the cricket world cup. R u thirsty smithy.

Edit

People criticise warne for pushing an obvious agenda in commentary like say bagging out sok. They sure as f**k would criticise him if he hit on a woman who was obviously not into it

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Fundamentally the lady was just trying to do her job.
He did not prevent her from doing her job. he made himself available to be interviewed.

If Gayle had asked her out later on when she wasnt trying to be a professional that is fine.
She is a sports journalist, her job, just like his job, is entertainment. That does not deny her any reason to be treated decently and with dignity (which in my view she clearly was), but its not like she was in the middle of performing open heart surgery when he hit on her. There was no danger to her third party client suffering harm as a result of Gayle's actions as a result of Mel being distracted from teh questions she intended to ask of Gayle.

If its not okay to ask women out, and many women prefer men to ask them out than the other way around, the future of mankind appears bleak.

People in her position are taught not to make themselves the story.
The subject story invited her to be part of his life, his story.

She has no real way of turning him down without making a fuss.
"Thanks for your kind words and your sweet offer of a drink but I decline. Thanks all the same for the offer, [she does not even need to say if she has a significant other]. So what does the team need to do from here to win?"

Off duty she can absolutely do that.
Rejection is rejection. "That is a sweet offer, but no thanks - I do not like you like that".

Eitherway "no thanks" is the same as "no thanks".

It was also just cringe worthy. She was obviously not interested (this makes her a f**kwit according to antilag)

Epic straw man. Not even remotely close to what I said. Not even the same subject context. I said that to the suggestion that she never wants or wanted to go for a drink or date or both with ANY person ever. (Muslims not drinking politely excluded). Her not liking Chris Gayle or wanting a drink with him does not make her a f**kwit. her getting upset that someone asks her out, which is flattering, and not ever liking the invitation because its not her thing (a drink, a date or both) - that would make her a fuc*wit.

and I don't need to see a bloke bomb out on my family focuses hit and giggle comp. I compared it to warney trying to get lily Allen to wave at him in 09. I almost passed out it was so cringe.
If its cringe when it doesn't work, do you feel jealousy when it does work? Should people never hit on each other, or is it just that they are not as smooth and debonair as yourself in the act of flirting? perhaps you could give Gayle and Warnie some lessons. teach them where they are going wrong.

I like a good cringe comedy me but there is a time and a place. Cricketers have proven themselves to be essentially socially geniused recently. Slater asking Brett Lee what it was like to kiss a girl was also completely embarrassing. Probably the equal of Gayle tbh.

Its an entertainment business. People do not always find themselves entertained by what entertains other persons. Look at the AFL for instance.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sharapova did the same thing to an Aussie journalist, but thats OK.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying what Galye did was OK, I am just pointing out the double standards between men and women in the same situation.

Thats life.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm not saying what Galye did was OK, I am just pointing out the double standards between men and women in the same situation.

Thats life.

I think what he did was OK and am entertained by the double standard by those who think what he did was not Ok, but suffer no affliction when gender roles are reversed.

I have no issue with what any of the women did that have been brought up by yourself or El Diablo. Barara Walters may have been the closest to being 'inappropriate' by telling Cooper in the interview that he was "screwable" (she called him sexy later - but screwable - wow) but it was appreciated to be in good humour Cooper and the fans.

Cooper appreciates that being desirable eye candy for the girls has helped his career on film.

Now if Gayle had called Mel screwable - I could understand the outrage.

I doubt he may even get away with calling her sexy. But "I find you sexy and would like to take you on a drink" is still better than "You're screwable, wanna go for a drink?"

Personally, I find Mel sexy. I would love to take her out for a drink.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Of course you can think what you like but unfortunately the world we live is so politically correct that things have changed.

Think what you like but be careful what you say.