What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Sandow > Mitchell Pearce

zwj1ae.jpg

[youtube]DwBirf4BWew[/youtube]

:lol::lol:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Neither will be chosen for origin on current form. The problem for NSW is, the cupboard is bare. Who do you pick ? Lets take a look at who is around,
JOSH REYNOLDS- is in career best form, but was found wanting last year, and is not up to origin football
ADAM REYNOLDS- under pressure he goes to jelly. A club player at best.
JARROD MULLEN- a decent kicking game, but QLD won't lose sleep if he is picked.
PETER WALLACE- please.
NSW don't have any decent halves.

Considering Josh Reynolds as only a 5/8 and on current form, my halfback would be Peter Wallace. At least he is a solid defender and link player.

Which is pretty sad.:(

BranVan3000

Coach
If you're going on form you'd have Kelly at halfback and Reynolds or Sutton (after a train off) at five eight

But we all know we are only discussing who will partner Mythell

magpie4ever

First Grade
If you're going on form you'd have Kelly at halfback and Reynolds or Sutton (after a train off) at five eight

But we all know we are only discussing who will partner Mythell

I like Kelly, but I don't believe the coach or selectors will see him as a structured player.

NSW will need to wait a few years before Brooks comes through.

mxlegend99

Referee
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Todd Carney

14. Albert Kelly

Depending on form and injury, Josh Reynolds could take out the #6. Certiainly in good enough form.

They are our top 4 halves on form and ability. Pearce and Maloney aren't even top 5 at the moment. Which is great... Hopefully they play themselve out of Origin.

Dave_

Juniors
Jarrod Mullen has every attribute you could want in a half. Great leader, unmatched passing and kicking game, excellent defender and one of fastest halves around. The guy actually has talent unlike Sh*tchell. One game for NSW at age 18 or 19 is hardly enough to judge his ability at this level.

I also believe Carney wasn't given enough of a chance. He and Mullen are NSW's 2 most talented halves and are at the peak of their careers. To me it seems a no brainer that they both be selected.

Fair dinkum, if this other Myth gets in again Lozza has to be snout fu*king him.

BranVan3000

Coach
I like Kelly, but I don't believe the coach or selectors will see him as a structured player.

NSW will need to wait a few years before Brooks comes through.

Structure? What good is structure in a three game series? You read Craig Bellamy's book and you'll see his biggest regret is thinking structure would work in that environment. The only reason it works with Queensland is cause the big three spend all year together, you can't compete with that

Ricky Stuart boiled NSW back down to the basics and took out the structure, and it was the closest we got. Problem was still with the uncreative halves though.

You need to put in players that Queensland struggle to find an answer to. Kelly can be a live wire, so can J Reynolds. These two are the sort of players who could put panic into the Queensland team and actually make positive things happen on the field. Name the last positive thing Pearce has done for NSW?

Another way to go is to put a presence in the halves who is physically dominant like Sutton, they will struggle to contain him and he has developed a real leadership quality under pressure in recent years. I'm reminded of how much Queensland struggled against Luke Lewis last year who combined his running and play making skills brilliantly.

If you really want structure, go straight to Mullen.

In any case I don't see a strong argument for Pearce or Maloney besides incumbency

rabbitohs95

Bench
At this stage i'd have Carney and Mullen, don't care if they've been injured recently, they're our best shot imo. Both lead their teams around and have good overall games. Pearce is and has always been shite, A Reynolds is in career worst form and doesn't have what it takes to play Origin (would love it if he can prove me wrong though) and J Reynolds still needs to dominate teams.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Structure? What good is structure in a three game series? You read Craig Bellamy's book and you'll see his biggest regret is thinking structure would work in that environment. The only reason it works with Queensland is cause the big three spend all year together, you can't compete with that

Ricky Stuart boiled NSW back down to the basics and took out the structure, and it was the closest we got. Problem was still with the uncreative halves though.

You need to put in players that Queensland struggle to find an answer to. Kelly can be a live wire, so can J Reynolds. These two are the sort of players who could put panic into the Queensland team and actually make positive things happen on the field. Name the last positive thing Pearce has done for NSW?

Another way to go is to put a presence in the halves who is physically dominant like Sutton, they will struggle to contain him and he has developed a real leadership quality under pressure in recent years. I'm reminded of how much Queensland struggled against Luke Lewis last year who combined his running and play making skills brilliantly.

If you really want structure, go straight to Mullen.

In any case I don't see a strong argument for Pearce or Maloney besides incumbency

Don't attack me, I'm just given the obvious reason Kelly will not be selected.

Dave_

Juniors
Our selectors just need to pick the BEST fu*king players for a change. If they do that, Carney and Mullen will be there and we'll have our best chance in years. We would have won the series last year if we had just one of these two.

The only way we'll see Kelly there is if the other half is a dominant, level headed player such as Mullen. Putting Kelly next to J.Reynolds would be a disaster. Reynolds has proven he's not up to origin level, he can barely dominate a club game aside from 3 or 4 weeks of a season with the biggest and fattest forward pack in front of him.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Our selectors just need to pick the BEST fu*king players for a change. If they do that, Carney and Mullen will be there and we'll have our best chance in years. We would have won the series last year if we had just one of these two.

The only way we'll see Kelly there is if the other half is a dominant, level headed player such as Mullen. Putting Kelly next to J.Reynolds would be a disaster. Reynolds has proven he's not up to origin level, he can barely dominate a club game aside from 3 of 4 weeks of a season with the biggest and fattest forward pack in front of him.

Tell me, I didn't see the Knight's games today (Doncaster day at the horses), did Mullens play?

And seriously, Carney is far from being in career best form.

Dave_

Juniors
Yeah Mullen played and went well, his hammy is apparently still only 90% but his kicking game was excellent. I know Carney isn't in the best form but I think he's nowhere near 100% fitness. When I said both players are at their peak I was thinking more age wise, both 27 and should be on top of their game, Mullen is anyway.

If Carney gets his hamstring right I have no doubt he'll get back to top form quickly although I must admit his severe lack of pace due to the injury is worrying as evidenced last week against the Warriors.

He has plenty of time to get it right and if he's still busted come origin time, throw someone else beside Mullen such as Kelly.

Noname36

First Grade
Everyone crying for Mullen to get picked is wasting their time. He's been blacklisted because he played one quiet game at 19 and couldn't pull off a win. Daley will never touch him again, nor anyone else with talent. We've got Pearce and Maloney until they retire.

Skreepe

Juniors
Lol Carney.

Guaranteed 2 try start to QLD. Some of you blokes dont watch the game but flap away regardless.

GONZO72

Juniors
Albert Kelly is 100/1 to be chosen in Origin One. Carney isn't fit, and as a result has lost his speed. I agree that he was shafted too soon. The biggest issue will be goal kicking. If Maloney isn't picked, who is goal kicker?
It seems the only issue for the blues, is in the halves.
Backrow ✔
Frontow ✔
Fullback ✔
Centre ✔
Halves ❓❓❓❓❓

Fat Krion

Juniors
Albert Kelly is 100/1 to be chosen in Origin One. Carney isn't fit, and as a result has lost his speed. I agree that he was shafted too soon. The biggest issue will be goal kicking. If Maloney isn't picked, who is goal kicker?
It seems the only issue for the blues, is in the halves.
Backrow ✔
Frontow ✔
Fullback ✔
Centre ✔
Halves ❓❓❓❓❓

Pearce is the best available half at the moment, with no real alternatives.
However 5/8 poses more a issue with Maloneys' poor form and he wasn't that convincing last series.

NSW have won origin games with an unlikely 5/8, with Timmins, Anasta,Bird and Finch. Which suggests it is not a key position for NSW.

That has led me to the conclusion that Hayne is the best option for the Blues.
Dugan fullback with M Gordon on the wing and goal kicker.

Spot On

Coach
At a guess, if Mullo stays fit and fires, Daley will have a Pearce/Mullen halves combo.

Gives us a very strong kicking game (Mullo) but still doesn't give us a lot of points. That said, Mullo is a very strong defender and won't be run over like Maloney was last year.

That however leaves us without a decent goal kicker.

We just can't get it right.

Latest posts