What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Sandow turns his back on Russell Crowe

081852-chris-sandow.jpg

Rabbitohs halfback Chris Sandow has signed a four-year deal to play with Parramatta from next season. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Australian

LESS than a month after failing to get the prized signature of supercoach Wayne Bennett, South Sydney owner Russell Crowe has lost out again as halfback Chris Sandow spurned the Rabbitohs to sign a lucrative contract at Parramatta.

The Australian understands Crowe spoke to Sandow on Tuesday and all but received assurances he was remaining at Redfern before the Souths No 7 backflipped by the time chief executive Shane Richardson tried to seal the deal.
Crowe was obviously unhappy at the move after tweeting yesterday "Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year" and it is understood the Rabbitohs will be pushing the NRL to examine Sandow's contract with the same level of scrutiny it did over their deal with Greg Inglis.
Sandow admitted Crowe would be upset by his decision to sign a four-year deal at the Eels, given Souths saved his career by signing him in 2008 after he had been sacked by the Gold Coast for repeated off-field misdemeanours.
"He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me," Sandow said.
"He's going to be upset, but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand.
"He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."
Richardson was also disappointed at Sandow's decision and in a statement yesterday said the Rabbitohs halfback "had met his Alan Bond" - a reference to Kerry Packer's famous saying, at making millions from first selling and then buying back the Nine Network.
The move leaves the Rabbitohs without a halfback for next season. While Craig Gower or Brett Finch seem obvious targets, there was speculation last night the club could go after Wests Tigers utility Tim Moltzen.
"We worked on this deal for about four or five weeks and we're disappointed to hear that he's going to Parramatta," Richardson said.
"The price was just too high and as I said, only one Alan Bond comes along in your life."
Sandow had to have the Bond reference explained to him by the media at training yesterday and while he confirmed the security of his family was important, he maintained his decision wasn't solely about money.
That line is familiar to Souths after Bennett said his next move would be based on challenge rather than money - before being lured by the millions on offer from Nathan Tinkler at Newcastle.
"No it's not about the cash," Sandow said. "I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I'm still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011."
While South Sydney was bitter over his departure, Parramatta finally had a recruitment to crow about after missing out on several other high-profile players including Melbourne duo Adam Blair and Cooper Cronk, and Wallaby Quade Cooper.
There will still be plenty of pressure on Sandow to deliver on his hefty price tag - it has been speculated he signed a $1.6 million deal over four years - given the Eels are rebuilding under new coach Stephen Kearney and are languishing near the bottom of the table.
Chief executive Paul Osborne did not want to discuss Sandow's remuneration, but dismissed Crowe's tweet that the deal was worth $550,000 a year.
"The way Souths reacted today is just really unprofessional," Osborne said. "We've missed out on players . . . I was advised by his management that the offers were very close."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...on-russell-crowe/story-e6frg7mf-1226050078480

m

boo_boo

Juniors
Might be time for Rusty to update the Book of Feuds & save a special mention for Bennett & Sandow.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Might be time for Rusty to update the Book of Feuds & save a special mention for Bennett & Sandow.

Why? Cause they wanted more coin? Thats against most peoples nature these days. Im disappointed as all hell, so are most of us, including Russ and Richo, and simply put his twitter comment was probably a brain fade and he posted it. No sour feeling to Sandow, he is still out halfback and you gotta remember if he makes it big, he will remember us as the club who took him in and made him who he is today.

Let's just leave the guy alone we still have the rest of the season wish him luck and get on trying to make the finals.

Stand And Be Counted !
Sandow 1.jpg

boo_boo

Juniors
Why? Cause they wanted more coin? Thats against most peoples nature these days. Im disappointed as all hell, so are most of us, including Russ and Richo, and simply put his twitter comment was probably a brain fade and he posted it. No sour feeling to Sandow, he is still out halfback and you gotta remember if he makes it big, he will remember us as the club who took him in and made him who he is today.

I meant no ill feelings towards Chris & good on him for getting a better deal.
But Rusty's is more accustomed to getting his own way so i can only hope that Sandow will be allowed to concentrate on his football & help Souths move up the ladder 2011.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Unless we're in a very good position at that point, I see Sandow getting dropped when Reynolds is fit. That would be the professional thing to do.

boo_boo

Juniors
How would that be professional ?
I would have thought the least disruptions to the side the better.
Sandow has more experience than Reynolds in the NRL & is in a better position to steer us around the park when it matters the most.
Taking into consideration Reynolds injury then we should be preparing him for next year rather than throwing him in the deep end.

Big Sam

First Grade
Unless we're in a very good position at that point, I see Sandow getting dropped when Reynolds is fit. That would be the professional thing to do.

Problem with that is the way we're going we'll probably be out of finals contention before Reynolds is back. But I agree with the idea.

kbw

Bench
I hope Sandow stays in first grade, that gives the other teams a much better chance.
How that idiot is worth more than $50K I don't know, maybe its based on missed tackles. Maybe Parra think at least with Sandow they will win something, most tackles missed in a season.

DC_fan

Coach

If Sandow is playing well then that would be the least professional thing to do

BunniesMan

Immortal
If Sandow is playing well then that would be the least professional thing to do
Even if he's our best player and we're out of finals contention, it would be a waste.

If we get mathematically eliminated from the top 8 at any point we have to move on and think about our future.

DC_fan

Coach
Even if he's our best player and we're out of finals contention, it would be a waste.

If we get mathematically eliminated from the top 8 at any point we have to move on and think about our future.

You play to win, not to lose.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You play to win, not to lose.
...a premiership. If we get to the stage (let's hope it doesn't) where we are mathematically eliminated from the 2011 premiership, we have to immediatley start planning for the 2012 premiership. I have little interest in winning dead rubber games and making a late run for...9th.

Latest posts