What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8 2024: Eels v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ 4 Pines Park April 26

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t understand this. You think they’re going to either fall on their swords and leave the club of their own volition to do a favour for Arthur, who already would have no future for the club; or otherwise keep putting in for Arthur’s sake when he already has no future at the club, but wouldn’t do the same for a new coach who might actually have a real role to play in their future employment prospects?
They have contracts and don't have to go anywhere. There'll be no falling on swords for any coach. They shouldn't be putting in for a coach either. They are professionals and competitors. All this talk of dying for coaches is media bullshit. I like my boss but I work hard because I care about my professional reputation, not to help him keep his job.

DaveMc

Juniors
They have contracts and don't have to go anywhere. There'll be no falling on swords for any coach. They shouldn't be putting in for a coach either. They are professionals and competitors. All this talk of dying for coaches is media bullshit. I like my boss but I work hard because I care about my professional reputation, not to help him keep his job.
I agree with all of that. But you seemed to suggest that Arthur was central to any short-term success. So I again ask the original question, what would be the point of keeping Arthur for longer rather than ripping the bandaid off and getting the new regime down to work?

the phantom menace

First Grade
I like my boss but I work hard because I care about my professional reputation, not to help him keep his job.
What happens to your professional reputation when you retire though... what's that actually worth?

Similar thought is probably going through the minds of our players who have hit or are pushing 30.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree with all of that. But you seemed to suggest that Arthur was central to any short-term success.
No I’m saying he might be.
So I again ask the original question, what would be the point of keeping Arthur for longer rather than ripping the bandaid off and getting the new regime down to work?
If the coach and players wanted him to remain until the end there might be an argument for keeping him. The incoming coach could contribute to recruitment/retention for the following year without running the team full of merkins he doesn’t want.

DaveMc

Juniors
If the coach and players wanted him to remain until the end there might be an argument for keeping him. The incoming coach could contribute to recruitment/retention for the following year without running the team full of merkins he doesn’t want.

This is wish washy to the point of reading as half-heartedly argumentative for its own sake.

We’ve already agreed that the players should be professional enough to do their job regardless of who is coaching. If they were better at their jobs, they wouldn’t be in a position where their current coach would be getting the arse in the first place. So I frankly couldn’t give the slightest f**k about who the players want to coach them in the short term - if it’s a foregone conclusion that Arthur is gone, the players’ wishes for him to stay for an extra half season or however long it might be from the formal decision to flick Arthur to him actually leaving should be given no weight.

So the remaining basis is that the incoming coach just doesn’t want to coach until 2026. I simply can’t imagine that being an issue. Surely any coach would prefer to get their paws on things as soon as possible to get reform underway within the playing group. And even if I’m wrong and the incoming coach would want to wait until 2026 to actually start coaching, keeping Arthur as the effective caretaker coach in that context is so unedifying that I’d simply get rid of him and appoint an interim coach in any event.

Simply put, I cannot envisage any circumstance in which it would be appropriate for Arthur to be here beyond, at the absolute latest, the end of this season. Him being Parramatta coach in 2025 would be a significant failure on the part of the club CEO and Board.

lucablight

First Grade
Agreed, he built a good squad. And then it wasn't. Or he had nothing to do with it.

Anyway that 11 years includes the final three years of Smith's reign.
So which is it? Is he responsible for the squad or not? I think we have a decent squad right now which is not playing to its potential. It’s certainly far better than a 14th place team. If we miss the finals for the second consecutive year it’ll be a huge failure.

Eelementary

Post Whore
5 weeks ago people on here suggesting Guth is better then D.Edwards.
He is cooked. Can't break a tackle.

When he's fit, he probably is (and that's not a criticism of Edwards, who I think is the most under-rated fullback in the game).

It's obvious Gutho is playing on one leg, and trying to do too much to get us wins, because he has lost confidence in his teammates.

Plus, he has always had a tendency to ball-hog, anyway.

It's sad to see how far RCG, and Gutho, have declined.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Yet Sivo, who gets suspended every damn season, gets a fine...

Even the Judiciary is along pity on us...

If that's not rock bottom....
JWH does exactly that every second tackle, and the media regards it as his enforcers role. What Sivo did was stupid in the context of the game, not sure in reality it was more than a penalty and move on. Yep, even giving up a penalty on 4th was dumb, but the officials were horrid during the whole game.

Pazza

First Grade
When he's fit, he probably is (and that's not a criticism of Edwards, who I think is the most under-rated fullback in the game).

It's obvious Gutho is playing on one leg, and trying to do too much to get us wins, because he has lost confidence in his teammates.

Plus, he has always had a tendency to ball-hog, anyway.

It's sad to see how far RCG, and Gutho, have declined.

It's amazing how much guth can dodge, duck, dive, weave and dodge his way to a try assist. He must leave defenders dizzy.

Gronk

Staff member
I just watched the BA and Gutho presser.

Agree with everything that was said. They threw that match away. Gave it to them on a platter.

Yes Turbo was off side and that meant that Will should not have been binned, but we jag those dodgy decisions too. Swings and roundabouts.