What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrisco Kiwis Team V Aussie Pricks

Panther_Daz said:
I think he may be Tongan, but just claim him as a Kiwi and pick him! Before he becomes a star for NSW and Australia.

Also, the Kiwi's in the Panthers team have been outstanding this year. The Puletua brothers and Pritchard have been a big reason why we have dominated the Broncos and Bulldogs packs.

whats the latest with pritchard trying to get his court date changed?

Lossy

Juniors
I'm presuming the ESL b*stards wont release anyone in time.

1 Webster
2. Covell
3. Soliola
4. Whaturia
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Hohaia
8. Asotasi
9. Faimu
10. N.Cayless
11. Kidwell(c)
12. Mannering
13. Williams

14. F.Puletua
15. Rapira
16. Tuimavave
17. Eastwood

Picked Covell as, despite his limited ability, he finishes what's put in front of him and kicks goals. Webster is good enough to cover fullback, no risk. Whaturia is listed for the Tigers this week, and if fit should be picked. Hohaia needs to be thrown in as it could provide the impetus for him to really step-up. Rapira is in, even though it's a bit early, because I think he can really rattle the Aussies when they're tired. Eastwood is the utility, and is there as a 5/8 option to cover Marshall and Williams in case they break in half, or Hohaia has to spend some time at hooker. F.Puletua and Tuimavave on the bench as we need to get a roll on in the forwards early and keep the foot on their throat.

Lossy

Juniors
Captain Charisma said:
Not sure about having both Tuimavave and Rapira.

I'm not concerned about that so much, but having those two and Frank Puletua admittedly makes it a heavy bench. But then, I'm wanting the Aussies to get utterly smacked. Frank is not a newbie and Evarn has really come on recently If pressed I'd swap Puletuas and bring in Tony for a bit more mobility.

I'd really like the ESL contingent to be available though. It'd change by 3-5 positions then.

ozbash

Referee
the nzrl have let them get away with stopping players previously.

be a hell of a job to get them to change now.

Lossy

Juniors
Panther_Daz said:
Surely Pritchard and T.Puletua should be picked ahead of Rapira and Tuimavave,

Not for me, but in the selectors eyes, sure. I do think that Evarn has earned it though.

RHYTHM AND STEALTH said:
St Helens have the bye the week before the Test or the week of the test. Jason Cayless is a must for the test

Really? If so (and he gets a release) that's great. Insert J.Cayless for F.Puletua.

OZBASH said:
the nzrl have let them get away with stopping players previously.

be a hell of a job to get them to change now.

Yep. Something about shutting gates and horses bolting comes to mind.

dazza

Staff member
mean_maori_mean said:
I would definately class Faiumu as a natural hooker and reckon he'l play hooker w/ hohaia on the bench.

But big fan of what I've seen from Seuseu - would love to see him there at the end of the year.

sorry mate, i forgot about dave faiumu. was thinking along the lines of lance starting & seu seu off the bench. but yes, i would definately have faiumu starting, provided he is on form.

cheers dazza

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
Maybe a big call but just maybe:

Hohaia to play half-back for the kiwis (his natural position), I reckon he's the most complete seven.

yeah, complete crap

Does any one think they'll call leulauai back again??

iirc they've done it the last three years running?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Polar Bob said:
I'm presuming the ESL b*stards wont release anyone in time.

1 Webster
2. Covell
3. Soliola
4. Whaturia
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Hohaia
8. Asotasi
9. Faimu
10. N.Cayless
11. Kidwell(c)
12. Mannering
13. Williams

14. F.Puletua
15. Rapira
16. Tuimavave
17. Eastwood

Picked Covell as, despite his limited ability, he finishes what's put in front of him and kicks goals. Webster is good enough to cover fullback, no risk. Whaturia is listed for the Tigers this week, and if fit should be picked. Hohaia needs to be thrown in as it could provide the impetus for him to really step-up. Rapira is in, even though it's a bit early, because I think he can really rattle the Aussies when they're tired. Eastwood is the utility, and is there as a 5/8 option to cover Marshall and Williams in case they break in half, or Hohaia has to spend some time at hooker. F.Puletua and Tuimavave on the bench as we need to get a roll on in the forwards early and keep the foot on their throat.

Please DO NOT PICK COVELL - IT WILL BE A DISGRACE TO THE KIWI JERSEY. He was asked to the play for the Kiwis a few years back but decline because he was trying to play S.o_O now he realised he got no chance he made himself available. Benji's kicking pretty good - why would you want or need covell.

Mannering - it will be a travesty if he gets picked over Fa'alogo and pritchard, he wldnt make my team as a forward too many good backrowers and backrowers who can play prop.

Tony Puletua and Bronson Harrison wld be in b4 Frankie Puletua - becoz both are in good form and the fact they can play prop and backrow.

Like Hohaia at number 7.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
yeah, complete crap

iirc they've done it the last three years running?

complete crap - not even 'ow. Lance will lineup for another NRL club as starting no. 7 next year, im picking tigers or Broncos.

NZ halfback options:
Benny Roberts - developing pretty good, but still has more to learn at the no. 7 spot wldnt form a good a halves combo with benji - well maybe in a touch team. small chance of him playing of the bench though
Jeremy Smith - come along nicely past two years good runner of the ball and alright kicking game, is probably the favourite - I just like Hohaia's vision - plays like a classic halfback a'la Clayton Friend runns the ball with two hands and looks to create but is pretty solid a can make a line break and pretty solid on defense. They will both play most likely

Thomas Leulauai - he played good in the black jersey before, he play his heart out if picked. It counts against him that he plays in the ESL both in getting released and level of comp.

Lossy

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
Please DO NOT PICK COVELL - IT WILL BE A DISGRACE TO THE KIWI JERSEY. He was asked to the play for the Kiwis a few years back but decline because he was trying to play S.o_O now he realised he got no chance he made himself available. Benji's kicking pretty good - why would you want or need covell.

Understand what you mean, but I don't care about his motives. I think it's worth a crack. Benji's kicking is good, but the point was to cover fullback with Webster and put a regular first-grade wing in the team.

mean_maori_mean said:
Mannering - it will be a travesty if he gets picked over Fa'alogo and pritchard, he wldnt make my team as a forward too many good backrowers and backrowers who can play prop.

He's being made into a forward so I'd persevere with him. It's a shame for Fa-alogo who is a fine player, but Pritchard does not need to be in the team. He has enough things to deal with without the team dealing with them too.

mean_maori_mean said:
Tony Puletua and Bronson Harrison wld be in b4 Frankie Puletua - becoz both are in good form and the fact they can play prop and backrow.

Yep. But I like Frankie.

mean_maori_mean said:
Like Hohaia at number 7.

Conversely, I don't like Hohaia but I think this year is make or break year for him. His talent is unquestioned and it's time to for him to show it, and his apparent "attitude improvement". Between Marshall, Roberts, Eastwood, Ropati (insert scream)) and the exposure Isaac John and company will get with Premier League, he won't get that many more chances unless he leaves the Warriors and shines.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Polar Bob said:
Not for me, but in the selectors eyes, sure. I do think that Evarn has earned it though.

Evarn and Sammy Rapira w/ Harrison have both being playing awesome and have are competing playing off the bench - but not over Pritchard and T.Puletua both have being playing awesome (two games ive seen).

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I like mannering particularly in the centres but he has been playing alright in the forward pack 2. If we need to play a winger or centre at fullback to cover webby if he doesnt play I would consider him at centre.
but How does he walk into most peoples team selections as a forward.
But over a long list of forwards who are some of the best in the NRL - no thanks.
Frankie Pritchard - he's a phenom
Fa'alogo - workhorse - one of the best in the NRL atm, awesome on both defense and offense and plays with so much heart.
Tony Puletua - experienced plays prop/second row. Captain a team w wiki gone we need some leadership N. Cayless and T. Puletua offer that.

I would also pick Harrison, Rapira and Tuimavave b4 mannering - they are actually forwards who can make some decent hittups and can make some good offloads.

Mannering what does he offer in the forward pack?? wont make much yards and doesnt have expectional playmaking/ball handling skills in comparison to Fa'alogo (good offloader and a workhose on offense and defense). Could play lock but obviously SBW owns rights to that jersey.

Who cares if he been made into a forward?? doesnt justify his selection. If he make the team it will be on the bench and due to his ability to play in the back and forwards.

Lossy

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
I like mannering particularly in the centres but he has been playing alright in the forward pack 2. If we need to play a winger or centre at fullback to cover webby if he doesnt play I would consider him at centre.
but How does he walk into most peoples team selections as a forward.
But over a long list of forwards who are some of the best in the NRL - no thanks.
Frankie Pritchard - he's a phenom
Fa'alogo - workhorse - one of the best in the NRL atm, awesome on both defense and offense and plays with so much heart.
Tony Puletua - experienced plays prop/second row. Captain a team w wiki gone we need some leadership N. Cayless and T. Puletua offer that.

I would also pick Harrison, Rapira and Tuimavave b4 mannering - they are actually forwards who can make some decent hittups and can make some good offloads.

All fair points. We have any number of second row/prop options and a lot of it comes down to personal preferences. This exists among the selectors too no doubt. I like Mannering a centre more than a forward -- he straightens up the attack which is a blessing for his winger -- but not over Whaturia. He's been earmarked as a back-rower now, and I like how he goes about his business there.

mean_maori_mean said:
Mannering what does he offer in the forward pack?? wont make much yards and doesnt have expectional playmaking/ball handling skills in comparison to Fa'alogo (good offloader and a workhose on offense and defense). Could play lock but obviously SBW owns rights to that jersey.

Who cares if he been made into a forward?? doesnt justify his selection. If he make the team it will be on the bench and due to his ability to play in the back and forwards.

Again, fair points, and skill-set wise/impact you are correct, but I think he offers the ability to bind the more dynamic elements of the team together. If he fails... then the same thing that happens to everyone else will happen to him. I haven't seen him fail yet.

Either way, we should be able to put out a good team.

I read this morning (SMH) that Webb might be the only ESL player brought back. Hope so. That would make my Covell suggestions moot.

MKEB...

Staff member
Though in recent weeks Rapira and Tuimavave have been playing out of their skins, I am not sure that they command enough respect from the Aussies yet. I would have T. Puleatua in there, but what worries me about him is his abililty to go missing in action. Fa'alogo is a workhorse almost in the Civinoceva frame that can bust tackles, and Kidwell will tackle all day. Instant mana to the Kiwi lineup; Just add Kidwell. Asotasi and Cayless pretty much pick themselves.
As does wonderboy SBW. Pity we dont have Swain back, but I would make do Faiumu raking, and Hohaia Coming in from the Interchange. Fien can F*** OFF.

In the absence of Webster who more than likely not get released, Webster as fullback.
Vatuvei is a given on one wing. I hate to do it, he maybe not be best or most spectacular, in fact he is definitely not. But what he is though is solid and doesn't lose games from stupidity Covell. *cue mass shudder.
I think Mannering has to be in the centres. I reckon He will always attract three defenders running in the backs, I also like his past combo with Vatuvei. He also just happens to offer that extra forward option. Also another workhorse in defence.
Soliola and Marshall pick themselves pretty much respectively for centre and standoff.
Tim Smith I reckon has sone enough in the opening few rounds to cement himself a spot, he seems to have matured a bit more as a player.

Hohaia springs to mind as a good interchange in the halves hooker and fullback
I would bring in Pritchard as a impact player as too Puleatua, Who can provide leadership (that ia if he dont go missing). Eastwood would be my last interchange,
showed against the warriors that he is at home in the backs, and Friday night that he is just as happy in the forwards.

1. Webster
2. Covell
3. Soliola
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Cayless
11. Fa'alogo
12. Kidwell
13. Williams

14. Hohaia
15. Eastwood
16. Pritchard
17. Puleatua

Martli

Coach
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
1. Webster
2. Covell
3. Soliola
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Cayless
11. Fa'alogo
12. Kidwell
13. Williams

14. Hohaia
15. Eastwood
16. Pritchard
17. Puleatua

I'd go with something similar to this. One possibility is to play Hohaia at fullback with Webster back on the wing (ie no Covell) and have Ben Roberts come off the bench or something. I think our centre stocks are a little low at the moment and so Mannering should definitely play there, otherwise i'd have him off the bench. The only issues I have with the bench is the lack of a prop, so perhaps Bronson Harrison or Frank Puletua could fill that duty.

That backrow looks so dangerous :D

MKEB...

Staff member
I know that the Eels have raves on Inu, but IMO not enough first grade. I also thought Inu was a centre.

Latest posts