What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christian Welch

dragon thomo

Juniors
We will not attract any descent players until we appoint a descent coach.
I agree that unless Gordon opens the cheque book and lands a descent coach nothing will change.
The concern is that baby Gordon has not got go ahead to spend any money on his little hobby the Dragons
I don't think the Old man wanted into buying the club.

possm

Coach
We will not attract any descent players until we appoint a descent coach.
I agree that unless Gordon opens the cheque book and lands a descent coach nothing will change.
The concern is that baby Gordon has not got go ahead to spend any money on his little hobby the Dragons
I don't think the Old man wanted into buying the club.
Both owners have the cash and resources to hire the best staff and build the best facilities to bring the club up with the best in the NRL. In the past a financially struggling Illawarra did not have the cash to go one for one with St George to build the club in the way it should have been built.

I feel the big mistake was not going with the highest bidder; a firm which has a reputation for wanting to be the best in the business.

Wittenberg

Juniors
The coach has to be appointed as soon as possible. Our forwards need bolstering badly. Welch needs to be signed and Blacker needs to be blooded but he will not be the answer, not for a little while, especially if he is blooded with, except for one or two exceptions, is an average pack. We need to remember that a pack these days is made up of 9 players, that is if we ever learn to use our bench properly.

Dragon David

First Grade
It really sucks, this news. Getting Welch at the Dragons would have made me excited for next year, but as usual, we get rejected. All and sundry would be saying "oh this player and that player didn't want to go to the Dragons so I'm not as well".

They really do need to make their decision as soon as possible as to who will be the coach for next year and beyond. They must have had someone in mind before they approached Mary about ending his tenure. Just don't fiddle arse about guys!!

Mjab

Juniors
The coach has to be appointed as soon as possible. Our forwards need bolstering badly. Welch needs to be signed and Blacker needs to be blooded but he will not be the answer, not for a little while, especially if he is blooded with, except for one or two exceptions, is an average pack. We need to remember that a pack these days is made up of 9 players, that is if we ever learn to use our bench properly.
Thanks for enlightening me
I thought we were only allowed 2 bench players to actually interchange and the other 2 only allowed on in the last 5 mins

sorry I was confused as I only watch Dragon games :)

possm

Coach
We lose Graham who was on approx 500k, Frizell on 550k and most probably De Belin on 550k, yet we offer Welch 300k. I wonder who made that decision?

MESS

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
i dont think melb will pay Welch $500k pa

but we might need to

its probably about right anyway at his best

but he has been an injured player quite a bit which is concerning

Wittenberg

Juniors
Would any established player sign when they don’t know who they will be coached by, especially for a club that is losing Frizz and has a well deserved ‘basket case’ reputation ? I don’t think so.

possm

Coach
Would any established player sign when they don’t know who they will be coached by, especially for a club that is losing Frizz and has a well deserved ‘basket case’ reputation ? I don’t think so.
Good point. And I would also say that no good player would sign if they know Young is our next coach.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Both owners have the cash and resources to hire the best staff and build the best facilities to bring the club up with the best in the NRL. In the past a financially struggling Illawarra did not have the cash to go one for one with St George to build the club in the way it should have been built.

I feel the big mistake was not going with the highest bidder; a firm which has a reputation for wanting to be the best in the business.

Yes- previous posters, including me, have spoken about the lead in the saddle a media company with no sporting experience represents to SGI. Meanwhile the sporting company which owns the Sydney Kings and is based in the Illawarra who have a stated passion to turn SGI into the Australian equivalent of the New York Yankees weren't given a chance