What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christian Welch

Mjab

Juniors
Talking to Owen today. He is fine, thanks for asking. Coming into owl breeding season so he has other things on his mind but he did tell me this.
1. He stated months ago the Uncle Wayne will get the keys to Kograh and he is standing by his story.
2. Welch will stay in Mexico. Loves Bellyache.
3. DeBelin will stay here if the judge let's lets him play.
Thanks for the info

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The mistake the Board is making is that they are dragging out the announcement of our new head coach. If Mary would have been sacked earlier and our new coach named immediately afterward, then I believe we would have secured the Suli signing and probably others that we wanted to sign. For goodness sakes, we might have even been able to retain Frizell.

This situation just amplifies that we have the wrong people in charge at our Club.

Agree about the earlier sacking but it should have happened at the end of last year- the Gould review was just a distraction from the bleeding obvious- Mary wasn't up to it.

With the late start this year and all the Covid problems, there were too many outs for McGregor. Even if we'd had a 2021 coach lined up once McGregor was sacked, it would be unlikely that they would want to start actual coaching until next year as they wouldn't want to start their career by finishing 12th or worse.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think our pack is on the improve.
You have to hazard the guess that based on past sharky packs that Flanno would be pushing for a more explosive middle player to join us?

If Welch signs on for $350k pa that is good value
Kerr and Lawrie are improving quite a bit this season and are on a nice trajectory
Ellis looks like a good depth signing.
KSims will be on peanuts if he stays on as not many clubs will pay for his current form
Merrin so so

Welch, Hunt, Vaughan
Fui, TSims
McInnes

Bench:
Kerr
Lawrie
Ellis
Ford

Host?
K.Sims?
Merrin?
Blacker?

redv13

Bench
You have to hazard the guess that based on past sharky packs that Flanno would be pushing for a more explosive middle player to join us?

Kerr and Lawrie are improving quite a bit this season and are on a nice trajectory
KSims will be on peanuts if he stays on as not many clubs will pay for his current form
Merrin so so

Welch, Hunt, Vaughan
Fui, TSims
McInnes

Bench:
Kerr
Lawrie
Ellis
Ford

Host?
K.Sims?
Merrin?
Blacker?
I hope we grab Welch but I honestly can’t see him moving from Melbourne for 350 a season. Sounds too low to me, we would probably need to be offering him closer to 500 a year to be a shot

possm

Coach

Merrin so so

Welch, Hunt, Vaughan
Fui, TSims
McInnes

Bench:
Kerr
Lawrie
Ellis
Ford

Host?
K.Sims?
Merrin?
Blacker?
In my opinion, with a touch of Flanagan magic, Blacker could be the explosive middle player we are looking for. The problem is that is will take time and we need such a player ready to go in 2021. All except Welch and Ellis are signed for 2021.

I suppose the club is waiting to see what happens with De Belin because he definitely can fill that role if available. If he is not available, then his replacement should be such a pleayer ready to go, and Merrin and K Sims showed the door to allow Ellis to stay.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Agree about the earlier sacking but it should have happened at the end of last year- the Gould review was just a distraction from the bleeding obvious- Mary wasn't up to it.

With the late start this year and all the Covid problems, there were too many outs for McGregor. Even if we'd had a 2021 coach lined up once McGregor was sacked, it would be unlikely that they would want to start actual coaching until next year as they wouldn't want to start their career by finishing 12th or worse.
Yes, I agree. The only thing I could add is that it is common these days to announce a new coach ahead of time e.g. Bennett to the Knights and Barrett to the Bulldogs as just a couple.

True_Believer

Juniors
2020:

Warriors - 7 weeks
Bulldogs - 10 days
Cowboys - 5 weeks and counting
Dragons - nearly 2 weeks and counting

I would expect the recruitment process to take at least another 2 to 3 weeks. We've only got 5 games left in the season assuming we don't somehow miraculously make the finals. There's no real benefit in rushing the appointment.

possm

Coach
2020:

Warriors - 7 weeks
Bulldogs - 10 days

I would expect the recruitment process to take at least another 2 to 3 weeks. We've only got 5 games left in the season assuming we don't somehow miraculously make the finals. There's no real benefit in rushing the appointment.
The benefit would be in relation to Dean Youngs attitude to make changes or test things for use in 2021. While ever there is no decision, Young (like Mary) would take the safe road to help is cause to get the job.

True_Believer

Juniors
The benefit would be in relation to Dean Youngs attitude to make changes or test things for use in 2021. While ever there is no decision, Young (like Mary) would take the safe road to help is cause to get the job.

Which is fair enough - anybody looking to secure a job they want would make a similar decision. Having said that, I don't think Dean would change the way he did things even if he knew he wasn't getting the job. This isn't just an opportunity for the Dragons position, it's an opportunity to impress for all clubs for a future role. He wouldn't risk that by making changes for the sake of it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
2020:

Warriors - 7 weeks
Bulldogs - 10 days

It might make the difference between us attracting a player with SOO ambitions (like Welch) or not.

denis preston

First Grade

Merrin so so

Welch, Hunt, Vaughan
Fui, TSims
McInnes

Bench:
Kerr
Lawrie
Ellis
Ford

Host?
K.Sims?
Merrin?
Blacker?
Not a fan of Host eh ? Out of Kerr & Lawrie & him i think Jacob has the most upside , particularly with a new coach. If Welch is for 350k i'd buy two of him ! 'd say more like 400 to 450k.

possm

Coach
It might make the difference between us attracting a player with SOO ambitions (like Welch) or not.
I would say we need to wait until the new coach is announced so he can recruit the type of prop he wants in his team. I have no doubt at all that most of the prospective coaches on the list would be please to have Welch in their prop rotation.

I like the idea of having young props anchored by a couple of high quality experienced props in our prop rotation. It is the way to go if we want to have a good prop rotation now and into the future.

First Grade
Vaughan
Welch
De Belin (maybe)
Kerr

Reserve Grade
Blacker
Ellis
Lawrie
Junior prop

possm

Coach
Not a fan of Host eh ? Out of Kerr & Lawrie & him i think Jacob has the most upside , particularly with a new coach. If Welch is for 350k i'd buy two of him ! 'd say more like 400 to 450k.
I believe you are correct, however, I would say between 450k and 600k.

Presentation of an offer at 300kis doom to failure.

Walpole

Juniors
I'm not sure how people on a forum can put a price on players. Unless you know what everyone in the squad is on, and where they sit in the hierarchy, how do you know whether they're over or under paid?

In any case, Christian Welch is a good pick up for any club.

possm

Coach
I'm not sure how people on a forum can put a price on players. Unless you know what everyone in the squad is on, and where they sit in the hierarchy, how do you know whether they're over or under paid?

In any case, Christian Welch is a good pick up for any club.
You're right and so, we can only go on what is reported on TV or newspapers. Wouldn't it be good if all was transparent? The salary cap and the list of players and their official salary. I suppose the only way would be for the NRL to set a salary and the player chooses from the Club that wants him at that salary. That is of course provided that the chosen club can fit him in under their cap.

I have always been in favour of a scheme where players are contracted by the NRL and clubs rent players from the NRL on a two year rental agreement.

Mjab

Juniors
You're right and so, we can only go on what is reported on TV or newspapers. Wouldn't it be good if all was transparent? The salary cap and the list of players and their official salary. I suppose the only way would be for the NRL to set a salary and the player chooses from the Club that wants him at that salary. That is of course provided that the chosen club can fit him in under their cap.

I have always been in favour of a scheme where players are contracted by the NRL and clubs rent players from the NRL on a two year rental agreement.
Interesting concept