What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHURCHILL GETS NOD AS BEST FULLBACK! NOW WINGER

mightybears

Bench
taken from the RL 1908 site
The Australian Rugby League Hall Of Fame was founded in 2002. So far 18 players have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, chosen by a voting college of Rugby League experts and historians.

Ken IRVINE (b.1940-d.1990)
Clubs: North Sydney, Manly (1958-73)
NSW: 30 games (1959-67)
Australia: 31 Tests, 2 World Cup Games, 67 Tour Matches (1959-68)

The fastest player ever at the elite level of League in Australia, in 236 premiership games he scored 212 tries. Irvine backed his incomparable speed with top class positional play and skill. He played for Australia for ten seasons, amassing 100 appearances with over 90 tries and 1255 points. After 12 loyal seasons for the Bears, his desire for Grand Final glory saw him move to Manly where he was a key member of the 1972/73 Sea Eagles title winners.

Harold HORDER (b.1894-d.1978)
Clubs: Sth Sydney, Nth Sydney, Coorparoo (1912-26) NSW: 20 games (1913-24) / QLD: 1 game (1925)
Australia: 13 Tests, 24 Tour Matches (1914-24)

His records alone stand testimony to his talents. In a 15 season career - that featured no lower grade games - he scored better than a try a match : 239 tries in 194 games. Using a powerful "don't argue" fend or his sparkling footwork and pace to defeat defenders, Horder's exhilirating play pulled thousands of new spectators to League. He was arguably the reason Norths won the 1921 & 22 titles. On the 1921/22 Kangaroo Tour he blazed 35 tries.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
the only 2 wingers named, in otherwords the 2 best decided by the 'experts' who played in australia

i'm with them for australia
ken irvine and harold horder [yes they played for norths, but the arl hasn't dont us any favours-ever and they are the only 2 wingers picked ]

but overall i'd bump horder for billy boston
------------------------------------------------------------------------
how did churchill beat langlands! [ i think his legend and coaching career got him over langland's greater feats as a fullback]
and chris anderson as a winger, ever!
i'd pick sean hoppe in front of chris anderson

Stagger eel

Staff member
choisir said:
Adam O'neill and Justin Ryder

your kidding aren't you??..since O'Neill gave away that penalty that got the sharks home at SFS 89,he lost me :p

seriously though, start a worst ever winger thread, don't associate them with the greats listed, it's really insulting. :?

choisir

Juniors
eelavation said:
choisir said:
Adam O'neill and Justin Ryder

your kidding aren't you??..since O'Neill gave away that penalty that got the sharks home at SFS 89,he lost me :p

seriously though, start a worst ever winger thread, don't associate them with the greats listed, it's really insulting. :?
Yeah your correct I probably have insulted Sean Watson .

ozzie

Bench
Robbie_Ross said:
Ken Irvine and Chris Anderson.

you surely are joking - are you chris anderson?? one of the luckiest players to play for Australia

for me - if they are Australian - Grothe and Irvine - close third who hasn't been mentioned King.

Bullseye

Juniors
If it's Aussies only it has to be Bevan on one wing. You simply can't leave out a man with his record. 796 tries in a career!!

Bullseye

Juniors
Has to be Bevan and Boston for me. The two top scorers in the game's history at a time of great wingers and in the best league at the time.

Their records will never be beaten.

OVP

Coach
I find it funny that alot of people are nominating people theyve NEVER seen play. At least i've seen footage of Ken Irvine and i dont believe anyone could be faster than this freak. Ask Mike Cleary, another brilliant flyer, who ended up as a politician. These two were probably the quickest but it doesnt necessarily mean they were the best. IN Ken IRvine's case, he had much more than speed so i'll gladly nominate him as one of the wingers.

BUT the other wing position MUST go to the Guru, Eric Grothe. Never will be there another player like this man ... he was totally unique. Eric is my number 1 pick, along with Irvine.

gregstar

Referee
bevan & grothe (warren ryan often sings the praises of bevan - citing the amount of times he scored triples & doubles) grothe - big, ugly, fast & scary!

Latest posts