What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City v Country teams named

timka4

Bench
Country halves of Maloney/McCrone look so uninspiring. Williams should start in McCrone's spot at the very least. I would also have rather seen Roberts or Kelly given a shot.
First thing I thought when I read the teams.

Regardlessof where everyone is placed, I'd say Daley and the crew have a pretty good idea already of where people will play for the blues.

Regardless though another CvC game I'm looking forward to.

After reading the teams, City should win this 20+

RWB

Bench
You would prefer both players in your side but if I had to choose I would pick Merrin every day of the week and I rate Fensom highly. He is only starting to realise his potential imo while Fensom is an honest toiler with a great workrate. That said Fensom is unlucky, but he is more unlucky that Merrin didn't snag a bench spot for Australia.

For Australia?

The bloke hasn't even performed at origin level, yet you think he should displace those that have because of a good start the NRL season?

RWB

Bench
Would love to see a Adam Reynolds/Farah combination in action. If they go well surely Daley has to rethink his plans.

What makes you think they will go well? Reynolds best and arguably his only attribute that is up to SOO level is his kicking game and Farah often takes a lot of the last tackle kicking duties upon himself.

If anything I think Farah's best suited to play with dominant ball players or ball runners...

bellyache

Bench
What makes you think they will go well? Reynolds best and arguably his only attribute that is up to SOO level is his kicking game and Farah often takes a lot of the last tackle kicking duties upon himself.

If anything I think Farah's best suited to play with dominant ball players or ball runners...
True..

Big Pete

Referee
Things have worked out quite nicely for the Blues.

Selectors already know what B. Stewart and Pearce offer, this game should be a showcase for players on the fringe and personally I'm interested to see how the likes of Gordon and A. Reynolds play in their preferred positions.

Happy to see a lot of fresh faces too. Couple odd omissions (Fensom would be one of the first players picked) but for the most part at least the selectors are throwing up some decent candidates.

Before I give away too much credit, did Creagh rule himself out or did the selectors finally take the hint?

typicalfan

Coach
For Australia?

The bloke hasn't even performed at origin level, yet you think he should displace those that have because of a good start the NRL season?

A good season and a quarter more like it and he is playing miles better now and has developed his game

Raider_69

Post Whore
If Fensom was a QLDer he'd already have 3 SOO games under his belt. He cant even get a gig in this mickey mouse City Country game. Good grief

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sure, he can tackle and run, and will admit I do not watch every Canberra game, but when I do, TLL, Shillo, Wighton, Lee, catch my eye, cannot recall Fensom making a break, slipping a ball, supporting....he does not seem to miss tackles, but don't recall a great cover one either, so yeah vanilla.

No lack of effort, but no reason for reps.

Call me crazy, but maybe we (the blues that is) should try something different to beat QLD. Every year we pick a neat back line, flashy halves and have Gallen carry 3/4ths of the forward pack workload. And every year for 7 (or is it 8 now, i cant remember?) years we've been soundly beaten. Perhaps having a bloke who sures up the middle 3rd defensively (you know that middle 3rd that Cronk, Smith and Slater tear up every year?) isnt such a bad idea.

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you always get. NSW dont learn their lessons.

gronkathon

First Grade
If Fensom was a QLDer he'd already have 3 SOO games under his belt. He cant even get a gig in this mickey mouse City Country game. Good grief

Liam Fulton or Bryce Gibbs should have played SOO while at the WT for a few years performing well every week but they never were.

I would like to have seen how Fensom stepped up in C v C.

Gallen is becoming harder and harder to see as a guaranteed selection. He is the heart and soul, always gives everything but he does to NSW what he does to Cronulla. He tries to do everything himself and it is to the detriment of the team

timka4

Bench
Which is why I wouldn't have Gallen playing lock, when he has played front row for NSW he has done nothing more than cart up the ball, playing lock though he has tried to get involved and it has looked messy.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

Similarly if Ash Harrison was a NSWer he'd never get a sniff. But he's a been a big part of their team the last few years.

NSW selectors are just hopeless

D

Deleted member 10972

So who are the players that officially withdrew from the match due to injuries suffered this week?

Stewart
Pearce
Sutton?

Noname36

First Grade
I don't see what Fensom getting left out of the side has to do with Cordner, McKinnon, etc getting selected. They play different positions. Fensom is unlucky but Merrin has been playing great footy. I suppose they could have moved Merrin to the front row if they really wanted Fensom in there. Also if NSW have Gallen pencilled in as lock then can't see Fensom getting a look in for SOO anyway. I do personally think Gal is better suited up front for NSW anyway though. Have to consider Bird as well.

Count me in with those not understanding the McCrone selection. Mullen opts out of the rep season to have surgery, so Maloney moves to 5/8 and McCrone moves to halfback? WTF. Williams would be the much better selection in the #7. He's a halfback and is actually a decent player unlike McCrone.

Good to see McManus get selected. He's been outstanding for the Knights but usually doesn't get a look in with Uate.

Last edited:

Latest posts