What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City v Country- Waste of time and a menace to players and clubs!

sharko

Juniors
I believe the current format of City v Country game has become a 'mickey mouse" event and is damaging to players and their clubs.
My reasons are several:

1. It has no bearing on State of Origin selection - the NSW coach and selectors have already pencilled in their squads and they do this by observing form in the toughest most skilled comp in the world, the NRL, not this one off thing.
2. It is being played on a Thursday nite, with players expected to back up some few days later for their real job, playing first grade.
3. The bush has ben treated like dung by the News/NRL and if they wanted to take games to the bush then clubs should be forced to play a game a year out bush and actually contribute something back to the bush instead of outright plunder.
4. It is a physical menace to very highly paid league players and their clubs because any injuries will have a terrible impact on the player and his club, and the fact that an injury is sustained in such a match would be galling.

The NEWS/NRL would be better doing some genuine and practical acts that get some income and infrastructure in the bush instead of such a token nothing match!

The fact that it has been relegated to a Thursday nite speaks volumes for what the administrators of this game think about it.

edabomb

First Grade
I agree. It used to be a great fixture back in the day, but it has had no spark since it's been reinvented. The Anzac test has a pretty big influence over its relevance.

legend

Coach
It used to be the Anzac Day fixture back in the late 80's and early 90's. I think it would be a good idea to move it back to Anzac Day.

sydraider

First Grade
legend said:
It used to be the Anzac Day fixture back in the late 80's and early 90's. I think it would be a good idea to move it back to Anzac Day.

I agree, imo the anzac test is a waste of time. There are better quality clashes between australia and nz during the tri-nations, when nz are able to pick their esl players also.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree move it back to Anzac Day, get rid of the Anzac Test, or shift it to after the Origin. That way everyone is available for City/Country, and should be considered an Origin selection trial. It annoys me that players get pulled out of these things cause of injury, then the same weekend the play for their club. Wouldnt surprise if some of those players injured actually played on the weekend.

The Centre

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
I agree move it back to Anzac Day, get rid of the Anzac Test, or shift it to after the Origin. That way everyone is available for City/Country, and should be considered an Origin selection trial. It annoys me that players get pulled out of these things cause of injury, then the same weekend the play for their club. Wouldnt surprise if some of those players injured actually played on the weekend.
It would also be good for any player who wants to make a last minute impression on selectors.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it's a waste of time as this 'genuine origin trial' never sees players that perform well get picked in SOO..skandalis anyone?

i agree that the fact it's been wedged in on a thrus night shows that it isnt being taken seriously, and removing test players makes it a 'seconds' trial more than anything

cant play tests mid season afetr origin as the kiwis wont take us on after origin

It's not a waste of time. It might not be as good as it could be but to say it has no benefit whatsoever is crazy. The people on the north coast will certainly see it as a positive this week, just as those in the western plains, northern rivers, central west and riverina regions would have when they've hosted it in recent years. This game is the only pro regular season game played in country NSW and it still means a lot for country people to see the Country team play. I know I'd rather play for Country than for NSW. Plus, it should be a genuine selection trial this year because there are a few positions very open and a good performance by one or two blokes might propel them into a sky blue jersey.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
It is a complete waste. The selectors have treated the league public with contempt as the best players are clearly not being picked. I have no idea what purpose this game serves as it hasn't been an origin selection trial for years, probably ever.

doggone

Juniors
The Country folk get to see some of their ex juniors play??? Otherwise pretty boring usually.:?

Its not a waste of time. I take it Sharko is a City boy ? Come and ask the Country folk what it means and you will get a different response.

This year is one of the most important in recent memory. Look at how many positions are available in Origin.

Fullback, one wing, one centre, halves, one backrower and bench makeup.

Very important.

I think the players selected take a lot of pride in their selection...let's face it...a lot of these players may never play SOO and this is their only shot at rep honours at senior level.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
kia ora storm said:
I think the players selected take a lot of pride in their selection...let's face it...a lot of these players may never play SOO and this is their only shot at rep honours at senior level.

Love that avatar.

Alex28

Coach
It is a shame what it has become - once upon a time the Country players had a heap of pride in being selected for Country.

The whole half-arsed Origin trial has taken the soul out of the event...

Dutchy

Immortal
You city folk just hate being served up a dish of whoop ass by us country hicks

Wilco

Juniors
Well as Laurie Daley said tonight on NRL on Fox, some players are still potentially going to be selected for SOO even though they weren't selected in CvC. Now that doesn't make sense. If it is going to be a real trial for SOO then why not make it a real trial? Unlimited benches, unlimited interchanges?

Latest posts