What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clash between NRL and AFL blockbusters is a disgrace

Ice777

Bench
I'm sure most here wouldn't have expected the AFL to get 34K last night. Especially up against direct competition against 2 Queensland rugby league sides so it's no real surprise the Bronco's got the higher crowd. All in all and taking everything into consideration i thought both crowds were excellent and it was a good night for Brisbane. Like Meltiger i'm one of those rare creatures who can actually praise and support both sports :shock:

T to the T

Juniors
The Gabba was just a spillover location for people wanting to watch live sport in Brissy as the Broncos game was more or less a sell out. A positive look on things anyway but still WTF are the Australian RL authorities doing with the sport down there? No way should AFL be getting that much in 'heartland'

Brycey

Juniors
Ice777 said:
I'm sure most here wouldn't have expected the AFL to get 34K last night. Especially up against direct competition against 2 Queensland rugby league sides so it's no real surprise the Bronco's got the higher crowd. All in all and taking everything into consideration i thought both crowds were excellent and it was a good night for Brisbane. Like Meltiger i'm one of those rare creatures who can actually praise and support both sports :shock:
The Courier Mail yesterday predicted that the game would break the crowd record and get 39k. Didn't happen :lol:

christopher

Juniors
The AFL has alot of female and ex pat support up here.

34 thousand is about the number of real fans AFL has in this great city. its always around the number they get for big matches.

i know a numbver of AFL loving girls, not so much guys and the only ones i do are ex pat victorians.

league killed them in attendences. i was at the game and the crowd was great, well in the first half they were. 5 minutes into the second half and the game was over.

the crowd even roasred for the under 20s and watching the young blokes run around in front of the big crowd, seeing how great it would be for them, made even my toyota cup hating mates and co-workers join their cause.

traffic wasnt that bad but i only had to come from two suburbs away.

50,000 is a great result considering the weather and the cowboys putting up no fight early in the season.

salivor

First Grade
Ice777 said:

And what? You said:
Ice777 said:
I'm sure most here wouldn't have expected the AFL to get 34K last night.

Trying to say their crowd exceeded expectations well it fell about 5k short of what was expected why the Broncos v Cowboys match was only tipped to draw in about 45k but went 5k over what was expected despite the withdrawal of 2 big draw card players in Lockyer and Hunt.

Also wasn't the Broncos v Cowboys match broadcast live into Qld competing for bums on seats particularly on a wet night?

Nightward

Juniors
Also wasn't the Broncos v Cowboys match broadcast live into Qld competing for bums on seats particularly on a wet night?

It had been raining most of the day. I was about this [] close to staying at home in the dry, but I figured that if I got there and it was raining, I could still go home any way. Having a season membership meant all I was giving up would have been ~$12 rather than a larger investment. Fortunately, the weather held.

If it had been a warm, clear day the pace might well have sold out. The weather only stoped about nineteen hundred people, after all.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Courier Mail:

TV Ratings

Broncos v Cowboys: 327, 000
Lions v Magpies: 89, 000

I'm actually surprised they got that much!