What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clash between NRL and AFL blockbusters is a disgrace

Razor

Coach
Brisbane has become a city full of sports "floaters" – fans who support the city first and the team second and go to whatever is hot.

No it's not.

AFL still finishes 4th or 5th in the TV ratings.

They get reasonable crowds, but crowds are nothing.

alexc

No doubt the AFL will lose in the ratings and at the ground. NRL wins the ratings every week up here. Broncos vs Cowboys is the biggest game outside state of origin.

While I don't really follow AFL at all, I don't mind watching a Lions game or the AFL footyshow if nothing else is on. I was quite happy to see AFL, Soccer, and League coexist, but the AFL administration seem to see it a different way. I can't believe the arrogance in some of the things I have been reading, thinking they can just waltz into the Gold Coast and W.Sydney markets and blow the other codes off the map. The massive following that League has in QLD will be evident this weekend for the AFL administration to see.

This will be a great reality check for all the AFL knobheads who claim it is on a par with League in QLD now. Living in Melbourne, the media constantly push that tripe. This is a great schedule by the NRL!

NPK

Bench
Well, the Broncos will be playing in a league stadium, while the Lions will be in a cricket stadium. Shows who the priority is :cool:

Well what it does do is clearly define what sport has got the larger attendance support base. Will be good having them on at the same time I reckon let's see how they go up against each other.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am looking forward to the Broncs v cows crowd numbers handing the afl's ass to them on a silver platter. This will really show us the "support" there is for afl in SE QLD.

McCrud

Juniors
I saw the Lions V Collingwood match advertised as a 10:30 pm start on FTA in Brisbane, so no head-to-head on TV.

gurudave

Juniors
It's definitely bloody annoying but these things happen and I guess people just have to deal with it. I'm more worried about the gridlock chaos that will ensue after the matches are finished. I'll be going to the Broncos but would have been good to get to the Gabba as well as it's always a sweet atmosphere and game against the pies.

Paullyboy

Coach
As has been pointed out already - it's not that Brisbane is a city of floaters, it's that Brisbane is over-run with Victorians. I think the population of South East Queensland would feature less than 50% of people who were actually born and raised in the area.

People leave Victoria for a reason, I cant understand why they bring their crap up with them.

(for the record, I unfortunately think the Lions will still get a solid crowd)

bryant

Juniors
Le KooK said:
I saw the Lions V Collingwood match advertised as a 10:30 pm start on FTA in Brisbane, so no head-to-head on TV.
So you were watching the AFL game today!!

I checked the tv guide its on at 8:30pm on Friday

f**k, traffic is gonna suck on friday night. last year it was so damn bad, now its gonna be worse with a lions game on with it too.

jc155776

Coach
Was going to stay in a hotel in Bris but f**k that, nothing avaialble at a decent price, will crash with mates.

Dissapointing.

Good weekend of SE QLD league.

Broncs v Cows and then Sharks v titans saturday night!

Eelectrica

Referee
I'll be driving from the coast to Garden City, jump on the bus and get to the ground not too long after.

Much better than the train I found out last year. Also won't have to worry about traffic.

But yes, it's going to be a great weekend for league in SEQ. I too am at both games.

bryant

Juniors
Coming from Sydney I have no clue.

Where is the Gabba & Suncorp Located in Brisbane?

How far are they from the city?

meltiger

First Grade
Timmah said:
Someone, please tell me how 150 years of AFL comes 12 years after 100 years? :?

One is an aniversary for a specific competition ... The other for the sport itself. Not too hard to understand I wouldn't have thought, even for a hick from the bush ....

Don't know why the clash is even news in RL circles (Whinging wise like the thread starter I mean), the Broncos will attract a bigger crowd AND murder, simply murder the Aussie Rules game in the ratings. All for the Lions biggest game of the year.

Win, win, win as far as I can see.

Though admitedly don't think for a second they really care all that much, Collingwood on FNF in Melbourne, especially when interstate, pays the bills.

meltiger

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
People leave Victoria for a reason

Some of the stupid sh*t people write, seriously :roll:

Melbourne & Victoria's population is growing at significant rates, yes not as much as Sth East QLD ... But people aren't leaving in droves anymore, like they were 15-20 years ago.

& they did it before for reasons (Economy) other than what you are most likely suggesting/climate, boring etc

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
bryant said:
Coming from Sydney I have no clue.

Where is the Gabba & Suncorp Located in Brisbane?

How far are they from the city?
They're both about 1 to 2 km's from the CBD. Lang Park is west and the Gabba is south.

Nuke

Staff member
_Johnsy said:
I am looking forward to the Broncs v cows crowd numbers handing the afl's ass to them on a silver platter.
As am I. Then, what you do is take that silver platter off them, smack them over the head with it several times, then shove it up their arses. They'll like that.

salivor

First Grade
50612 at Suncorp compared to 33867 at the Gabba. Now let's wait for the ratings to see how much we killed them by there.