What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clean out under way?

Juniors
Payten is a good, solid forward, but he seems to be under the impression that we're interested in him for his ability to catch and pass... Maybe he should learn how to offload instead? I think this is a coaching issue. He needs to be given a more appropriate job on the paddock. Catch the ball, run hard, offload. No more dancing please.

amen to that.

theres nothing wron with a forward throwing a flat pass close to the defensive line, in fact it is quite effective and mostly unexpected BUT it only works after that particular forward has actually run into the defense and drawn more than 1 defender on more than 2 ocassions in 80mins.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
I'm not singing the praise of Halatau or Payto, but we shouldn't be too quick to cast desertions on.

Halatau: Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't see how he is having a bad year. He is coming off the bench as a utility. He does his hitups and I don't remember him missing many tackles. I will pay closer attention this week.

Payto: He was probably one of our best forwards last year. He is coming off an injury. I thought against the Bunnies he was coming good. Just give him a bit more time.

N.C.

Juniors
I'm not singing the praise of Halatau or Payto, but we shouldn't be too quick to cast desertions on.

Halatau: Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't see how he is having a bad year. He is coming off the bench as a utility. He does his hitups and I don't remember him missing many tackles. I will pay closer attention this week.

Payto: He was probably one of our best forwards last year. He is coming off an injury. I thought against the Bunnies he was coming good. Just give him a bit more time.

Agreed Halatau has had the occasional burst but this is not just a matter of a "bad year". He hasn't played a decent game since the Qualifying Final in 2005... Go have another look at the Sea Eagles game from earlier in the year. You may recall they were on a hiding to nothing until they played the Tigers. We were still in the game until Halatau missed a one on one that he could have no excuse for. They scored. We were toast. That's only one example. But it sums him up well. Aside from his defensive liabilities, he's pretty one dimensional in attack. Sometimes he even catches the ball, but when he does, he very rarely hands it on again, even when he's playing out in the backline.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Agreed Halatau has had the occasional burst but this is not just a matter of a "bad year". He hasn't played a decent game since the Qualifying Final in 2005... Go have another look at the Sea Eagles game from earlier in the year. You may recall they were on a hiding to nothing until they played the Tigers. We were still in the game until Halatau missed a one on one that he could have no excuse for. They scored. We were toast. That's only one example. But it sums him up well. Aside from his defensive liabilities, he's pretty one dimensional in attack. Sometimes he even catches the ball, but when he does, he very rarely hands it on again, even when he's playing out in the backline.

So you are going back to the bloody Manly game ? Geezus m8. I reckon you're struggling more than what Halatau is.

People remember Halatau for 1 run in the 2005 final against the Dragons what was a good run, but soft-tiring Dragons defence. Need to get over that.

N.C.

Juniors
So you are going back to the bloody Manly game ? Geezus m8. I reckon you're struggling more than what Halatau is.

People remember Halatau for 1 run in the 2005 final against the Dragons what was a good run, but soft-tiring Dragons defence. Need to get over that.
Perhaps you would like to reread my comment. Look very closely at it. Especially the part that says "That's only one example. But it sums him up well."

Feel free to flood me with examples of his worth. It's not like I hate the guy and of course he's not the only under-performer at the club. But at the moment, I can't see him and the Tigers making beautiful music together long into the future. He'd probably do well somewhere else if we cut him loose, but he's just the kind of player we need to move on from if we're serious about rebuilding the team. Now is not the time for sentimentality.

skeepe

Immortal
I'll believe its a true cleanout if Halatau goes. I have heard that WT are genuinely negotiating to retain him. Rumours have Halatau and Trimarchi sounding out South Sydney. Heard nothing about Paynes future either.

A big millstone around WT neck is Gibbs- he remains on a long term contract, earning good contract money and not living up to expectations.

Word has it that Trimarchi has been talking to Canberra also. If he turns out to be as good as Bronson has been, I'd welcome him with open arms.

matty-ducati

Juniors
perhaps we will be seeing toddy on dancing with the stars in the off season :p

as for halatau, this guy has been hard done by, everyone seems to remember all the bad games he's had, but seem to forget about every other player. Sure dene hasnt been hammering, but the poor bloke has struggled to stay in the 1 position.. I can see if we let him go he will be a standout if played in the right position. I dont think hala is to blame for this... once again we can blame the coaching staff. Another reason i think most take it out on hala is the speculation on how much money he is taking of the cap. I do no he took less money to stay at the club last time his contract was up.

chopsy_05

Juniors
Halatau for a bloke that would weigh barely 90kgs has one of the best leg drives in the side. He always carries three defenders. Heighno and Payten could certainly learn something off him. Yeah his defence ain't the best at times but other than Ellis I can't think of another Tigers player thats any different.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I've nothing against Halatau but I reckon he has become a person whose reputation has become entrenched in a 2005 'once in a lifetime' series of events and has been unable to shake it. Heck WT used it to promote the 2009 game against Saints the other week- what hope has the guy got to move on from that whilst at WT????

With Morris going there is scope for him to stay, but I just dont think his form- as shown since 2005- warrants a big contract- if he wants to stay for reasonable money OK- but if he wants big bucks- time to say bye bye.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
You guys have a short memory.Before Halatau signed his latest contract with us, was he not one of our best forwards ?

Nope.

He's been average for yonks.

He's always had potential to do better than he has, but he hasn't done better, he's still the same as he was in 2004, a hard running light backrower/centre with bricks for hands.

Having said that, he hasn't really been given a true opportunity over a number of matches to cement a spot in the top 13.

Latest posts