What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleanout Imminent

Talanexor

Juniors
Yeah, so Bani for Farrar was an absolute howler. But even if we'd kept Farrar - would we be doing much better?

The 2 things that have killed us this season are poor handling and poor defence. When we actually hold onto the ball and complete sets, we can score points. Probably not enough to blow the opposition off the park, but enough to be in the game, if we hadn't given the other team a 20-point lead by half time.

Farrar's handling and defence are much better than Bani's...but we would still have had Webb, Kaufusi, Manuokafoa, John Williams etc.

The thing that really worries me is how compessed our defence is. This must be Henry's coaching; it doesn't make any sense otherwise. Even with a new-look backline next year, if he persists with that structure, we'll still get cut to shreds on the edges.

elyod138

Bench
The reason the compressed defense isn't working though is due to attitude.

If the defensive structure changed teams would just run straight through us. The players need to be playing for each other for the defense to work, no matter what the structure is.

Cowboys woo

Juniors
The attitude has been sh*t at the club for a while now IMO, hopefully the new players, in particular Cooper, Tate and most likely DJ can help change that around.

Luke Capewell would be pretty cool to get too.

StinkyPete

Juniors
I don't know about that eloyd...

Let's have a look at his first grade recruitment since taking the job in 2008. (not including retirements)

Gains: Shannon Hegarty, Willie Tonga, Antonio Kaufusi, Manaese Manuokafoa, Clint Amos, Grant Rovelli, Steve Rapira, James Tamou, Michael Bani (Mid-Season) and Donald Malone
Losses: Mark Henry, Ray Cashmere, Jacob Lillyman, Sione Faumuina and Ben Farrar (Mid-Season)

Gains: Willie Mason,Shannon Gallant, Will Tupou, Leeson Ah Mau, Isaak Ah Mau, Arana Taumata (Mid-Season)
Losses: Travis Burns, Shane Tronc, Antonio Kaufusi (Mid-Season), Manaese Manuokafoa (Mid-Season), Dayne Weston

Gains: Antonio Winterstein, Brent Tate, Ryan Williamson,
Tariq Sims, Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa, Ashton Sims, Ricky Thorby, Blake Leary, Gavin Cooper, Dallas Johnson, James Segeyaro (up from U20's)

Losses
Steve Rapira, Anthony Watts, Luke O'Donnell, Ty Williams, Carl Webb, Willie Mason(not officially but he won't stay), Still without contract: Mitchell Achurch, Clint Amos, Obe Geia, Don Malone, Grant Rovelli, Nick Slyney, John Williams.

I'd say this looks like the best year yet

Talanexor

Juniors
Top-notch recruitment for next season. Best of all, apart from Tate and Johnson, all those players are 25 or under. Meaning there is plenty of improvement left in them.

The only one on that list I would have liked to have kept is Watts, but Segeyaro should be a damn good replacement if he can bring his u20s form to the NRL.

Big Pete

Referee
Mmm f**k Watts.

That's all I got to say. :)

2011 definitely looks good at this stage BUT I'd still like to see how they perform first.

Shorty

Staff member
You were never a fan of Watts, Pete, let's face it lol.
But I suppose I have to agree, Tal Watts isn't getting any better and he's an impact player at best.
We're better off spending or retaining for the future.
What has been overlooked in my opinion is that the general age of the team is quite a bit older.
We need some youth to mix in with the old heads.

Didgi

Our U20s have been leading or up there almost all season, we'll start to see that coming through next year and the year after.

Big Pete

Referee
You were never a fan of Watts, Pete, let's face it lol.
Ha! No kidding. Although after what he did to Locky, can you really blame me? ;-)

All kidding aside, Watts is a good individual talent but a terrible team player. He would've been handy to of kept around as he has been one of the Cowboys better players but losing him won't have that big an impact on the Cowboys in 2011.

Talanexor

Juniors
Ha! No kidding. Although after what he did to Locky, can you really blame me? ;-)

All kidding aside, Watts is a good individual talent but a terrible team player. He would've been handy to of kept around as he has been one of the Cowboys better players but losing him won't have that big an impact on the Cowboys in 2011.

Also, we have Segeyaro and Taumata to fill the role Watts used to - as an impact player off the bench. Easily replaced.

Mason, on the other hand, is a bit harder to replace. If there's anything lacking in our side next year, it's consistent metre-eating forwards, whether props or backrowers. Other than Scott, there's no one in our side who we can rely on to churn out 100m+ performances every game.

Bolton, Hogan, Johnson and Cooper all get through plenty of work, but none of them average over 100m a game. Tamou is good and improving, but not quite there yet.

The halves will really need to work on their long kicking game over the offseason. Without Mason and o'Donnell in our pack, i think we may struggle to get up the other end of the field.

Charlie124

First Grade
Very disappointing if he's done something to deserve the axe. He really looked like he'd made a home for himself and i think he had all but cemented a starting spot for next season.

Hope to hear more about this sooner rather than later.

Cowboys woo

Juniors
Surely we would only let go of Taumata if we got Capewell.
But I am 100% sure we would not let go of Taumata based on his form this year, we would only let him go if he got into trouble. Would be a massive, massive shame if he has gotten into trouble.

Talanexor

Juniors
I hate to sound like a broken record, but Farrar is off-contract and likely to be squeezed out of Manly. In fact, word is he's looking for a contract in England!

If we let him go to be closer to his family, why on earth would he want to move AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from there?

He can play anywhere in the backline, and he's pretty talented. We don't have much depth at fullback (Gallant can't tackle) our wingers are unproven (Winterstein has looked shaky this year and FaiFai Loa has played a handful of games) and our centres will likely be injured or playing Origin, is it not worth throwing him a contract? We have money left over, and there aren't many quality players left available on the market.

If we don't, and I end up seeing Bani or Graham playing first grade at all next year, I'll be livid.

Charlie124

First Grade
The backs we've signed are better than Farrar anyway, i wouldnt have been too fussed on him unless he came very cheap. I think a few cows fans tend to think of him with rose tinted glasses on. He's a good player but nothing special, im much more interested in seeing how Winterstein, Tate, Tonga, Fai Fai Loa, Tupou etc.... go for us.

Latest posts