What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary is one hard hombre

Meth

Staff member
I think Cleary proved at the Warriors that he was an excellent coach, though he frustrated me at points.

He obviously has inherited a team that was somewhat in crisis and has a job to do to turn it around. It would be unreasonable for us to expect results instantaneously. It's hard to compete with a spine like Coote/Burns/Walsh/Kingston. Penrith just don't have the resources to work with that the Warriors do. This Penrith gig will confirm exactly how excellent a coach Cleary is.

vvvrulz

Coach
Good article, I was definitely a Cleary fan however he did make a few mind boggling calls to go along with his great ones. These include the Jones/Moon combo, dumping Witt, ignoring Inu. However these are outweighed by the good work he did here and perhaps at Penrith, we'll see.

tangalife

Juniors
Cleary was great and also made some "interesting" calls.

If he turns things arounds at the Panthers then he'll be a great coach as he would have taken 2 clubs from rags to riches.

Rich102

Staff member
The article is as much about Matty Johns as about Ivan Cleary.
So Cleary dropped two players - big deal.
He got rid of Nathan Fien because he detracted from Stacey Jones. How long did he take to drop Rovelli & Witt?
Time will tell whether Ivan is a great coach. He had cashed in all his chips here.

Iafeta

Referee
The article is as much about Matty Johns as about Ivan Cleary.
So Cleary dropped two players - big deal.
He got rid of Nathan Fien because he detracted from Stacey Jones. How long did he take to drop Rovelli & Witt?
Time will tell whether Ivan is a great coach. He had cashed in all his chips here.

Nathan I don't think was a big loss TBH. In respect to Rovelli & Witt, who of any quality was there to replace them with? The club tried desperately to find halves. Its not like today where they have a one time NSW Cup half of the year in reserve grade ready to roll... That said, in most of the years those chaps were at the club, he still got them to the finals.

Ivan Cleary is an outstanding coach.

Aragorn

First Grade
I respect what Clearly is doing - he's not trying to make people happy and be all matey with everyone. He's shaking the shiet up to see what falls out - Bluey needs do the same....

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I think he's a good coach, but not a great one yet. A great coach innovates and can be influential in pushing the game in a certain direction. The style Bellamy brought to the Storm has become the dominant standard for the game. But now is the Hasler era, IMO. He's the one pushing the envelope and other coaches will soon imitate. Hopefully SK does this sooner than later with the Kiwis. We need to see more structured ball movement in our attack.

ozbash

Referee
Lol. Its you.

Bluey has helped swell trophy cabinets both here and overseas..

Whats Ivan won ?

vvvrulz

Coach
Lol. Its you.

Bluey has helped swell trophy cabinets both here and overseas..

Whats Ivan won ?

A couple of wins with the Kiwis and ESL titles does not measure up to an NRL premiership. As far as I'm concerned this is the big time now and he is still unproven. With your argument you could be calling Kearney a good coach.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I could have coached that Leeds team to a championship. It was comparable to the Kangaroos winning an NRL title.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Cleary might make the tough calls but the jury is still certainly out on whether the Lewis move is the right one. They won one game, not 10.

1MTDaz

Juniors
Cleary likes structure and personnel that really earn there place within the team, which is what the Warriors really need right now. If Cleary was still at the Warriors I dont reckon Hurrell would be in the team yet (defence) and he would be getting a lot of grief for it...I reckon we'd be better placed than 9th at the same time tho.

Last edited:

Latest posts