What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint Zammit departs club

slotmachine

First Grade
Doesn't say anything other than he finished yesterday and had been Cairns based for the whole period he was working for the Knights.

Old dog

Juniors
Report in Tele, split after club decided his contract would not be renewed. Club claimed Zammits decision to remain in Cairns and commute to Newcastle was a decisive factor. Also claim clubs salary cap is a challenge

ryan.a87

Juniors
Salary cap is a challenge because we are paying a player 1.4mil to play 5 games a year while gamble comes in on near bottom dollar and is killing it

we also are still paying half of klemmers contract and we have a bunch of mid range contracts tied up with below average players who train hard

macavity

Referee
Salary cap will always be an issue for clubs at the bottom whilst ever there is a salary floor in the CBA.

Even when our squad stinks we have to spend a minimum amount, which means you end up with inflated contracts.

perverse

Referee
I don't think this was a role that was very suited to remote workers.

Having said that, he and the rest of the team did pretty well this year, with the exception of re-signing he who shall not be named for another couple of years.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Even when our squad stinks we have to spend a minimum amount, which means you end up with inflated contracts.

Sounds obvious, but I never thought of it that way.

Did the dolphins get an exemption for this year? Having no marquee player could really throw their entire salary cap out of whack otherwise.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think this was a role that was very suited to remote workers.

Having said that, he and the rest of the team did pretty well this year, with the exception of re-signing he who shall not be named for another couple of years.
To be fair I doubt Zammit and the team had much of a day on that one, pretty sure Phil was personally looking after the negotiations

macavity

Referee
Sounds obvious, but I never thought of it that way.

Did the dolphins get an exemption for this year? Having no marquee player could really throw their entire salary cap out of whack otherwise.

They have not-terrible depth. They would have also forward-loaded some contracts I reckon. Something we should do too... although it comes with a risk that they then agitate for more in the later years of the contract (after getting the bulk of their cash upfront).

Knight Tales

Juniors
According to Barry Toohey, Parr decided it was bad look having a recruitment officer living in Cairns. While Zammit has been moderately successful here IMO, he is still the best in the game by all accounts. We have lost Knowles, Zammit and Brennan all within a couple of years. All men regarded as up there with the very top practitioners in their chosen areas.

Jono078

Referee
According to Barry Toohey, Parr decided it was bad look having a recruitment officer living in Cairns. While Zammit has been moderately successful here IMO, he is still the best in the game by all accounts. We have lost Knowles, Zammit and Brennan all within a couple of years. All men regarded as up there with the very top practitioners in their chosen areas.
I was going to write this as well.

Just 12 months ago you could argue we had the cream of the crop for fitness and scout.

We won't know how good Zammit did for us, not for a few years yet pending how those young blokes from New Zealand develop.

I agree though, it would be nice to have a scout in our own catchment identifying and retaining the cream of the crop in this area.

Spot On

Coach
I was going to write this as well.

Just 12 months ago you could argue we had the cream of the crop for fitness and scout.

We won't know how good Zammit did for us, not for a few years yet pending how those young blokes from New Zealand develop.

I agree though, it would be nice to have a scout in our own catchment identifying and retaining the cream of the crop in this area.

Fitness 12 months ago was pathetic.

Can’t believe we had a key employee living so far away. No brainer to cut ties imo.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Can’t half arse it if the club is going to rely on regional pathways rather than poach good talents from other systems or from rugby carnivals in NZ. Gotta wrest back control of areas yielded to the Doggies etc and invest A LOT of money in it.

Latest posts