What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Close Knights victories

Knight87

Juniors
I was just wondering which Knights games you remember (or are your favourites), where the score was level or the Knights were trailing and the Knights scored to win/draw a thrilling game in the absolute dying minutes?

For me, these are the games I remember from the past years (these may bring back good memories):

2007: Rd 9 vs Warriors at EnergyAustralia Stadium (MacDougall scored matchwinning try with just over a minute to go for a 24-18 win, after trailing 18-6 11 mins earlier).

2006: Rd 10 vs Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium (Knights trailed 16-14 after a piece of Benji Marshall brilliance to set up a try 'supposedly' would be enough for a Tigers win. However, with a couple of minutes to go, Brian Carney chips over the top, grubbers the ball to the Tigers ingoal and touches down for a thrilling victory with a couple of mins remaining)

2005: Rd 16 vs Penrith at Penrith Stadium (Having not won a game so far, Knights trailed 24-22 inside the last 5 minutes (after trailing 14-0 at halftime) before a courageous effort by Clint Newton resulted in a try, causing scenes of jubilation and relief as Newcastle's 13 match losing streak was ended)

Rd 18 vs Cowboys at EnergyAustralia Stadium (2 weeks later after the Penrith game, again, the Knights found themselves trailing by 14 pts at halftime (18-4). With the scoreline 18-16 to the Cowboys with a couple of minutes to go, Jarrod Mullen soccers the ball past Cowboys defenders and grounds the ball over the tryline to win 22-18 and recording the Knights first win at home in 2005)

2004: Rd 10 vs Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium (Now, who couldn't forget this game??? The Broncos were virtually crapping all over the Knights in the early stages of the first half, but without Johns (who was out for the year), managed to stay in the contest. With the scores locked at 16-all, Matt Parsons used every bit of his 201cm to charge down a field goal attempt at the death to force the game into golden point. 2 mins 24 secs into golden point, Kurt Gidley attempts a field goal, very wobbly, but somehow manages to go over the crossbar and the Knights win their first ever golden point game 17-16

2003: Rd 14 vs St George/Illawarra at EnergyAustralia Stadium (after receiving a multitude of shocking ref decisions from Sean Hampstead and trailing 18-6 at halftime, the Knights managed to claw their way to trail 30-22 with 10 mins to go. An Adam MacDougall try made it 30-26. With a few seconds to go and the Knights peperring the Dragons tryline, Kurt Gidley throws a long spiral pass to Adam MacDougall and Dougs scored in the corner to make it 30-all on the fulltime siren. Shades of what happened the previous year when Hazem kicked the ball after fulltime to win, this time it was Andrew Johns turn to set the ledger square. With all the confidence in the world, Johns successfully converts from the sideline to win the game after fulltime 32-30).

2002: Rd 25 vs Penrith at Penrith Stadium (Knights led 26-24 with a few mins to go, before Penrith scored a freak try from a bomb to lead 30-26 and put the Knights minor-premiership aspirations in Doomsdale. However, with a minute to go, the Knights pull a rabbit out of the hat to score a try and a successful conversion by Joey after the fulltime siren resulted in a thrilling 32-30 win by the Knights.

2001: Rd 3 vs Bulldogs at Sydney Showground (The Bulldogs first home game at the Showground. In a topsy-turvey battle, the Bulldogs led 28-22 with a few mins to go after Sean Rudder threw an intercept to Hazem El Masri and El Masri scored, but failed to convert from nearly infront of the posts to give the Knights a very slim chance of a draw. With a couple of mins to go, the Knights got deep into Bulldogs territory and after some razzle-dazzle play and passes going everywhere, Glenn Grief scored a try and Johns converts to finish with a 28-all draw) I have a bit of an interesting story to share later on about this game, as I was at this game.

Rd 8 vs Canberra at Canberra Stadium (Once again, in a tough game, the Knights trailed for most of the game until a Ben Kennedy try with 10 mins to go levelled the score at 20-all. With the game heading for a draw and in the 80th minute of play, the Raiders received a 20 metre tap after a missed field goal attempt. However, this match will always be remember for Brett Finch's brain explosion as he kicked the ball out on the full from the 20 metre restart after trying to regain possession down in the Knights half. Knights receive a penalty from 20 metres out infront and Joey converted to win 22-20, much to the distress and agony of Brett finch).

These are all the games from 2001 to present. Ill add games from previous years later. In the meantime, what are your thoughts on those games I have mentioned? How were you feeling at the time when the game finished?

Kazaf

Juniors
Nearly all our games we have won this year, were a come from behind win.
We've never lead by 20+ (this year)

Knight87

Juniors
J T said:
I was just wondering which Knights games you remember (or are your favourites), where the score was level or the Knights were trailing and the Knights scored to win/draw a thrilling game in the absolute dying minutes?

For me, these are the games I remember from the past years (these may bring back good memories):

2007: Rd 9 vs Warriors at EnergyAustralia Stadium (MacDougall scored matchwinning try with just over a minute to go for a 24-18 win, after trailing 18-6 11 mins earlier).

2006: Rd 10 vs Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium (Knights trailed 16-14 after a piece of Benji Marshall brilliance to set up a try 'supposedly' would be enough for a Tigers win. However, with a couple of minutes to go, Brian Carney chips over the top, grubbers the ball to the Tigers ingoal and touches down for a thrilling victory with a couple of mins remaining)

2005: Rd 16 vs Penrith at Penrith Stadium (Having not won a game so far, Knights trailed 24-22 inside the last 5 minutes (after trailing 14-0 at halftime) before a courageous effort by Clint Newton resulted in a try, causing scenes of jubilation and relief as Newcastle's 13 match losing streak was ended)

Rd 18 vs Cowboys at EnergyAustralia Stadium (2 weeks later after the Penrith game, again, the Knights found themselves trailing by 14 pts at halftime (18-4). With the scoreline 18-16 to the Cowboys with a couple of minutes to go, Jarrod Mullen soccers the ball past Cowboys defenders and grounds the ball over the tryline to win 22-18 and recording the Knights first win at home in 2005)

2004: Rd 10 vs Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium (Now, who couldn't forget this game??? The Broncos were virtually crapping all over the Knights in the early stages of the first half, but without Johns (who was out for the year), managed to stay in the contest. With the scores locked at 16-all, Matt Parsons used every bit of his 201cm to charge down a field goal attempt at the death to force the game into golden point. 2 mins 24 secs into golden point, Kurt Gidley attempts a field goal, very wobbly, but somehow manages to go over the crossbar and the Knights win their first ever golden point game 17-16

2003: Rd 14 vs St George/Illawarra at EnergyAustralia Stadium (after receiving a multitude of shocking ref decisions from Sean Hampstead and trailing 18-6 at halftime, the Knights managed to claw their way to trail 30-22 with 10 mins to go. An Adam MacDougall try made it 30-26. With a few seconds to go and the Knights peperring the Dragons tryline, Kurt Gidley throws a long spiral pass to Adam MacDougall and Dougs scored in the corner to make it 30-all on the fulltime siren. Shades of what happened the previous year when Hazem kicked the ball after fulltime to win, this time it was Andrew Johns turn to set the ledger square. With all the confidence in the world, Johns successfully converts from the sideline to win the game after fulltime 32-30).

2002: Rd 25 vs Penrith at Penrith Stadium (Knights led 26-24 with a few mins to go, before Penrith scored a freak try from a bomb to lead 30-26 and put the Knights minor-premiership aspirations in Doomsdale. However, with a minute to go, the Knights pull a rabbit out of the hat to score a try and a successful conversion by Joey after the fulltime siren resulted in a thrilling 32-30 win by the Knights.

2001: Rd 3 vs Bulldogs at Sydney Showground (The Bulldogs first home game at the Showground. In a topsy-turvey battle, the Bulldogs led 28-22 with a few mins to go after Sean Rudder threw an intercept to Hazem El Masri and El Masri scored, but failed to convert from nearly infront of the posts to give the Knights a very slim chance of a draw. With a couple of mins to go, the Knights got deep into Bulldogs territory and after some razzle-dazzle play and passes going everywhere, Glenn Grief scored a try and Johns converts to finish with a 28-all draw) I have a bit of an interesting story to share later on about this game, as I was at this game.

Rd 8 vs Canberra at Canberra Stadium (Once again, in a tough game, the Knights trailed for most of the game until a Ben Kennedy try with 10 mins to go levelled the score at 20-all. With the game heading for a draw and in the 80th minute of play, the Raiders received a 20 metre tap after a missed field goal attempt. However, this match will always be remember for Brett Finch's brain explosion as he kicked the ball out on the full from the 20 metre restart after trying to regain possession down in the Knights half. Knights receive a penalty from 20 metres out infront and Joey converted to win 22-20, much to the distress and agony of Brett finch).

These are all the games from 2001 to present. Ill add games from previous years later. In the meantime, what are your thoughts on those games I have mentioned? How were you feeling at the time when the game finished?

I agree with you Kazaf, but you forgot to read the bold print

IanG

Coach
The Ultimate = 1997 Grand Final. Where Darren Albert scored with only about 10 seconds left in the game.

fred_knight

Juniors
J T said:

I was at that game, with my two brothers who were Penriff supporters, I walked out like a sook when Penrith went over, then as i was walking out, i heard a cheer and saw knights flags goin crazy, and then i seen my brothers walking out like sooks and i was jumpin up and down like crazy...one of those days me and my brothers will talk about for ever..Think it was fathers day too

Fav game of the knights. by far

perverse

Referee
IanG said:
The Ultimate = 1997 Grand Final. Where Darren Albert scored with only about 10 seconds left in the game.
nothing will ever live up to that. period.

Knight87

Juniors
And now for the summaries of nailbiters from 1997 to 2000:

2000: Rd 4 vs Auckland Warriors at Ericsson Stadium (Trailing by 18-12 with a minute to go, Warriors captain John Simon kicks on 5th tackle inside his half, only for the kick to be charged down by "Bustling" Billy Peden. Peden regathers and runs 30 metres to score. Johns conversion after the fulltime siren made the scoreline 18-all: The Knights snatching an unlikely draw).

Rd 12 vs Parramatta at Marathon Stadium (After a multitude of shocking ref decisions against the Knights by Tim Mander, the Knights found themselves trailing 23-16 after a field goal by Ben Kusto. With 6 minutes to go, Adam MacDougall scores a try to keep the Knights in the game, but Billy Peden duffs the conversion from nearly infront to make the score 23-20. Then, a magical moment: With a couple of minutes to go, a linebreak from Billy Peden sees nothing between him and the tryline and he just manages to scoot past fullback Brett Hodgson to seal a magical "against the odds" 26-23 victory.)

1999: Rd 7 vs Brisbane at Marathon Stadium (In a very tough and physical game, the Knights held the lead 18-12 with 10 mins to go, before the Broncos equalised through Michael Hancock to make the scoreline 18-all. Then, with a few minutes to go and the scoreline still 18-all, Matthew Johns slots a field goal from 30 metres out to give the Knights a hardfought 19-18 win, despite a late surge by the Broncos at the end)

Rd 11 vs Penrith at Penrith Stadium (Robbie O'Davis' first game back from a 22 match suspension, the Panthers had dominated most of the game. A Greg Alexander field goal inside the last 10 mins appeared to be enough to get the Panthers home, as they led 15-14. But, in the dying minutes, Andrew Johns put up a spiralling torpedo bomb and with some confusion between the Panthers players Andrew Hinson and Robbie Beckett, Darren Albert plucks the ball out of no where to score the match winning try for the Knights 20-15.)

Rd 24 vs St George/Illawarra at Sydney Football Stadium ( With the Knights trailing 20-18 inside the last minute, Darren Albert sprints 20 metres down the right hand side of the field to score a try and winning the game for the Knights 22-20. Deja vu of the 1997 Grand Final all over again. The Knights fans went buzurk!!!!! GO THE KNIGHTS!)

1998: Rd 10 vs North Sydney at Marathon Stadium (In another physical encounter, the game very tight and the Bears led 14-10 with less than a couple of minutes to go, before a crossfield kick from Joey is taken by Adam MacDougall and Dougs scores in the corner to make it 14-all. Andrew Johns kicks the pressure kick from the sideline to win 16-14).

Rd 13 vs Cronulla at Shark Park (In a tough Saturday Night battle, the Sharks led 16-12 with a couple of minutes to go, Peter Shiels scores and Johns converts. The Knights come away with a gutsy 18-16 win).

1997: Grand Final vs Manly at Sydney Football Stadium (Probably the best of them all. Against all the odds, the Knights managed to fight until the end. With the scoreline 16-all with 10 seconds to go, a piece of genius by Andrew Johns sees him go down the short side, instead of opting to pass back to Matthew Johns for the field goal. Joey in return creates a gap up the middle, to which he passes to Darren Albert and as the famous words of Ray Warren go: "ALBERT WILL SCORE!!!! ALBERT WILL SCORE!!!! NEWCASTLE, HAVE WON THE GRAND FINAL!!!"

So, there are all the games from 1997 to present. I don't know the games that fall under the criteria i mentioned in the first post before 1997, as I only started following the Knights midway through 1996 when they were in that form slump after State of Origin. So, anyone whos been around long enough to know the games from 1988 to 1996, please feel free to add to the thread (list of Knights games courtesy of www.marathonstadium.com). Out of those games I have mentioned, the ones I went to attend was 1999 vs Brisbane, 2000 vs Parramatta and 2001 vs Bulldogs.

Just one question about the Norths game in 1998. I do remember that Josh Stuart got suspended for 12 weeks for a tackle. I was wandering, was it a really bad tackle that constituted the 12 weeks, or was it because of other factors, like a poor judiciary record? Cause I cant think of too many high tackles that would warrant a 12 week suspension. Thanks

Big Tim

First Grade
I dont remember all the details, but last years home final against Manly were Tanner made the play of the year by charging down an orford FG attempt with his nose.

That was an awesome game and also the one where Mullo showed his ability as a game changing #6.

Knight87

Juniors
Yosh said:
How did Robbie O get suspended for 22 games?

For taking anabolic steroids (aka performance enhancing drugs). Wayne Richards also got the same punishment as well and Adam MacDougall also got hit with a drugs suspension (. All of this occured in 1998, Yosh. I was at Robbie O's last game before he got suspended (vs Parramatta, which was also Adam MacDougall's last game before his suspension as well). It was dissapointing he got suspended, as he played very well in that game (a 30m try scored, where he virtually danced and weaved his way around the Parramatta defenders, one of them namely Paul Cariage). However, there were rumours leaked before the game that he had tested positive to a banned substance.

However, I'd love to watch that game again. Joey completely terrorised Clinton Schifcofske.

Knight87

Juniors
Alex28 said:
How about the semi in 1992 - 3-2 loss to St George. Shattering...

But, did the Dragons, overall, dominate the game? Were the Knights a realistic chance of winning the game (should the Knights have won)? Do you think they would've been able to beat Illawarra in the Preliminary Final and Brisbane in the Grand Final, had they defeated the Dragons?

And what about 1995? Do you think the Knights were capable of knocking over Manly in the Prelims and eventual premiers Bulldogs in the Final?

Bicey_18

Bench
J T said:
But, did the Dragons, overall, dominate the game? Were the Knights a realistic chance of winning the game (should the Knights have won)? Do you think they would've been able to beat Illawarra in the Preliminary Final and Brisbane in the Grand Final, had they defeated the Dragons?

And what about 1995? Do you think the Knights were capable of knocking over Manly in the Prelims and eventual premiers Bulldogs in the Final?

Imo I think we could have beaten the Saints... in the same year we beat them at Kogarah 23-12. Tony Herman was robbed of a try!!!

I think we could have taken Illawarra... though would have been a toughie. Brisbane no chance in the GF, they were so dominant in 92.

95 we got beat by Manly who were the dominant side then and rightfully so. 12-4 in the GFQ wasnt a bad effort.

Knight87

Juniors
But, ive read somewhere that Manly, although finishing 1st that year, were very scrappy in the finals against Cronulla and Newcastle, hence no surprise that they got beaten by the Bulldogs in the final

les norton

First Grade
I dont know if it because i was there (and I never get to be there usually!!) but the broncos face + a gidley field goal make it my number one!

CycloneSteve

Juniors
J T said:
For taking anabolic steroids (aka performance enhancing drugs). Wayne Richards also got the same punishment as well and Adam MacDougall also got hit with a drugs suspension (. All of this occured in 1998, Yosh. I was at Robbie O's last game before he got suspended (vs Parramatta, which was also Adam MacDougall's last game before his suspension as well). It was dissapointing he got suspended, as he played very well in that game (a 30m try scored, where he virtually danced and weaved his way around the Parramatta defenders, one of them namely Paul Cariage). However, there were rumours leaked before the game that he had tested positive to a banned substance.

However, I'd love to watch that game again. Joey completely terrorised Clinton Schifcofske.

It was a shame that those players were busted because we ended up finishing equal first on the points table with Brisbane and got knocked out of the semis early. With those players on deck we would have gone through and played Brisbane in the Grand Final, setting up a classic match that would have seen the two winners of the 1997 comps play each other. Instead we lost to both the Roosters and the Bulldogs after leading early.

Latest posts