What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club clears Eels star over drink incident

eelaholic

First Grade
I hope that it isn't true.............however if we're getting drunk and we're winning games...............give that man a new! ;-)

Hellsy

Immortal
El Diablo said:
Ten news reports the club are not happy how an email made it to air and was passed as fact

I hope heads roll over this, but not at Parra ;-)

Hopefully SOMEONE will be finally made to pay for their amateurism

Yeah me too, but he and Fitzy are mates arent they?

Parra Guru

Coach
Ecca clear aswell

http://www.nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/2594/Default.aspx

Eels' drink slur outrages Smith's agent
Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:55 PM

Tim Smith's management is furious the Parramatta halfback was forced to defend himself against "outlandish and unsubstantiated" allegations he was involved in a drunken incident at a Sydney Hotel.

Eels officials have cleared both winger Eric Grothe and Smith of any wrongdoing
after it was alleged the pair had been involved in alcohol-fuelled incident at the Intersection Tavern.

The finding came after a radio station reported that both Smith and Grothe had allegedly been refused service and kicked out of the Ramsgate pub.

"It's a beat up, probably from some guy who doesn't like Parramatta," said Smith's manager, David Riolo.

"I've got to be forthright and I've got to get on the front foot - (players) have a responsibility, but not when any person from the moronic masses comes out and makes an outlandish and unsubstantiated statement and makes it into a story.

"As far as I'm concerned, as Tim Smith's agent, you've just got some guy making baseless claims.

"Is he drinking? Where's he from? What's his motivation? I can't answer that but for me it's just a beat up.

"Tim Smith is doing the right thing, trying to get his shoulder right and get back onto the field.

"He was home in bed by 10 o'clock and didn't consume a single alcoholic beverage.

"He doesn't need this, especially when he hasn't done anything."

Smith was warned by Parramatta in June that he would be fined $10,000 and his contract would be in jeopardy if he was caught drinking again after several alcohol-related incidents.

"I'm just happy I've been cleared and just want to get back to training, hopefully get back before the season finishes," Smith said.

"That's all I've got to say about that."

Riolo was livid Smith even had to defend himself.

"Why should he have to put his side of things forward when nothing happened anyway?" he said.

"This is rubbish."

Eels CEO Denis Fitzgerald confirmed Smith had left the premises before a group of patrons - including winger Eric Grothe - was asked by management to leave.

The hotel's CCTV footage showed Smith left the hotel at 8:12pm - 17 minutes before the rest of the party were asked to finish their drinks and leave the establishment.

The Eels also confirmed Smith's claim that he didn't consume a single alcoholic beverage after watching the footage and speaking to hotel management.

Grothe was also cleared of "culpability", according to Parramatta general manager Greg Mitchell.

Smith was fined $1,000 by the club for a drunken scuffle with Test cricketer Michael Clarke at a pub in Cronulla in June and agreed not to drink for the rest of the season.

He also turned up to training affected by alcohol on May 15, the same day Brian Smith quit the club as coach.

"Everybody in the club has had confidence in Tim's commitment to resolve the issues that caused him some concern earlier in the year," Mitchell said.

"He's certainly now maturing and understands he has broader obligations than just the game on the field."

Mitchell ruled out taking any action against the radio station.

strider

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
Isnt it great how we can't bag Hadley because he can shut down our great website (but I totally understand Mr Moderators so don't get me wrong!!)

But yet he can say anything he wants about anyone with no proof or sunbstantiating evidence and never is held accountable..................
its all about who's willing to put the time, money and effort into it .... raaaayyy is an overpaid gossip with some powerful bumchums

scottyeel

Bench
Congrats to Timmy for making a commitment and sticking to it. he realises that his career is worth a hell of a lot more than a few beers with his mates.

Hellsy

Immortal
Oh they are mates, thats for sure. He is always around Parra. Whether or not Fitzy likes him or if he hangs around for the hell of it I dont know, but if you dont like a person you dont turn up all the time like he does or get the treatment he does at Parra

Hellsy

Immortal
The Colonel said:
"In fact the CCTV showed that he left the hotel at 8.12pm - apparently they got there about 5.30pm - but he left at 8.12 and he was going out on a dinner date with his girlfriend," Fitzgerald said.

BTW - So cute!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
That depends on alot of things, But I spoke with yoda today, and he said he didn't know any more.

Parra should withdraw their sponsorship of his show again