What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club cricket 2009/10 Thread

Timbo

Staff member
Who's playing this year?

My season kicks off with a Sunday arvo game a week tomorrow.

I'm taking over the reigns of my club's B grade side this season. A bit nervy, haven't skippered a club since the under 16s - and my squad has three blokes that have never held a bat before and I have no fast bowlers whatsoever!

Ahh well, park cricket is as much about the beers after you get beaten than as the beating itself.

What's everyone else up to this summer on the cricket pitch?

Bazal

Post Whore
Still not sure if I'm going to play or not. Not sure if the knee and ankle are up to bowling (mostly my fault, I was far too lax on the recovery, stupid idiot) and I was on and off last season as it was...

Captain BF

Juniors
I play for Glenbrook-Blaxland and our season starts next weekend.
My team had an inter-club match trial the previous weekend ago and last weekend went on a tour match out at Coolah. A great weekend away. We have been playing 6th grade for the last few years and will be playing in fifth grade this year. I have been Captain for the last 5 seasons now.

Paullyboy

Coach
I signed up to play for Coogee, it's my first competive cricket for years, probably about 10 actually. We've had two nets session to work out who plays in what grade, I've been bowling alright so I think I should get a crack at firsts. Freaking pumped for the season to start in a few weeks.

jargan83

Coach
I am going around for another season at Maddington Cricket Club here in WA in the South Metrolpolitan Cricket Association. My 8th season of Senior Cricket. Very much looking forward to it as the second half of last season I didn't play due to a lower back injury. Pre-season has been a bit poor with the weather in Perth being pretty ordinary, we have done alot of fitness and running work but have barely been in the nets, lucky our season doesn't start until the first Saturday in October

Didgi

Still in Juniors, but playing about he equivalent of 4th grade for the whole of far north queensland.

Hopefully can pull me some wickets with my devilish leg spin :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't trained for 5 years mate and and I was second grade captain 2 years back.

I reckon we can squeeze you in.

Timbo

Staff member
Don't you hate park cricket teams that have Don Bradman, Wally Hammond and George Headly batting 1-2-3, and then Stuart MacGill's batting 4-11?

Take the side we had yesterday. Lost the toss, had to field. They were 0/196, 1/197, 2/220, 285 all out.

Was an epic disaster. Am not looking forward to the chase.

jargan83

Coach
I have come across sides like that. Last year we played one of them, 0/110 at tea, 1/120, 2/187, All Out 226

At least your playing, we haven't even been able to train. I have had one net in 5 weeks of pre-season

Red Bear

Referee
4ths is full of that
You'll play a side one week and they get rolled for 70 next time you play them they make 300

Anyway, I will be playing from about mid-november onwards, hopefully. Broke my arm in late July playing soccer and still dont have enough movement in the arm. Been training lately and can field ok and bowl ok but cant fall over/dive in the field and my arm couldnt take the impact of a cricket ball on the bat if was batting, so it might be a while till i play yet:(

Jimmy The Judge

Juniors
Any of you guys played with or against Nathan Price and/or Matthew Frith ?
Both are just making their way in 1st grade for Randwick.

Cheers

Ridders

Coach
Played last year for Liverpool Catholic Club but decided to take this season off.

Don't have the same passion for playing cricket as I once did.

I'm hoping the season off will rekindle my hunger.

TimmyB

Juniors
Playing park cricket. Haven't played since mid teens, so was very excited. First match last weekend. Wasn't sure of the standard so put myself at number 11. Bad move. I was out there for 3 balls at the non-striker's end before the number 10 got bowled trying to smash it over cow corner. Bit frustrating.

Got rolled for 82. We only nabbed 1 wicket before they chased it. Poor start.

Captain BF

Juniors
My team have had a great start to the season. We are 2 wins from 2 matches. We have bowled our opposition out for 180 in round 1 and scored the runs only 4 wickets down and then bowled the opposition team out for 145 and also got them only 4 down in round 2.