What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club Dynasty's

antonius

Coach
There's a thread on the NRL forum re could Penrith have the makings of a new League Dynasty with their team from this year? My thoughts are as follows.

There will never be another Dynasty as in the incredible St George era, because of the obvious (Salary Cap) it depends how you would define what constitutes a dynasty? At the moment the playing field is starting to level out so much due to the cap that we have 5 or so teams that are constantly around the top 4 with any of them capable of winning the GF, so if you use winning the GF as the qualifying mark of being a dynasty then I reckon it will be rare to see teams winning even two in a row as indeed it is now. The term dynasty in the true meaning will cease to exist, rather Penrith I think will join teams like the Roosters, Broncos, Knights, and Bulldogs. as regular top four contenders over a period of years, and that will become the Quantum that success for teams is measured by. These teams will still have their ups and downs as was the case with the Broncos, and Knights this season, and they have been replaced by the Warriors, and this year Penrith, and the Raiders. So maybe a new Dynasty of Penrith, the Warriors, Roosters, and Raiders is emerging. My meaning being that they will consist of 3 or 4 teams that are consistently successful over a period of years, rather than a single team. Those days are gone I think. So to answer the question...in the true sense of the word.. no.

What do you guys think, do you think given that the Knights have qualified for the finals every year since 1998 that feat in it self qualfies us as a dynasty for that period? Or the Goosters 3 GF appearances in 4 years, for mine the Broncos would also have to be right up there given their results since entering the Competition.

roopy

Referee
I think the Warriors are the only team that might be on the verge of a dynasty. They have a better nursery than even us and the Broncos, and they have a huge advantage in that the salary cap goes a lot further when you convert it to Kiwi pesos. You can live like a king in NZ for 100,000 aussie dollars a year.

I think they will be the team to beat, at least until NZ gets another side, which might split their nursery and weaken both sides a bit.

hmm maybe three or 4 years down the track depending on how good newcastle go could u add them for this dynasty thing but they have sorta been inconsistent for a long time. with that said the knights have that "aura" that not many teams do. you know, that one where back in the 90s when lower teams played the broncos they were beaten before they went onto the pitch because they have that aura, i think we have sorta lost that now, the roosters have got it and for as long as johns is playing newcastle will have it too, im scared shitless of newcastle every year (even tho i always tip them to finish out of the 8 haha). But if theres anything close to a dynasty of old you would have to either say the broncos from 92-2000 or raiders from 87-94

Kaz

junior
antonius said:
There's a thread on the NRL forum re could Penrith have the makings of a new League Dynasty with their team from this year?.

The last team that they mentioned of starting a League Dynasty were the Roosters last year.

Look what happened, the Dynasty collapsed into a heap on GF night. :D

The Broncos were the Dynasty team of the 90's.

glamour_eel

Juniors
I don't think we'll see a dynasty for a while. And personally i'm over the moon about it. I think in the AFL the Brisbane Lions are making history. 3 successive Grand finals is incredible. Being a non-Melbourne based team makes the achievement even more astonishing. But it also creates boredom.

I don't think the Panthers will become a regular top 4 team. Finals team yes for sure. Anyway going on 2003, next years grand final will be North Queensland V Wests Tigers.

Doctor

Bench
I agree with a lot of what Antonius said - the salary cap plays a key role in keeping clubs within the confines of the ordinary.

Someone has to come first though - I'm sure the Roosters will remain around the top 4 for a few years yet, while they keep their current player list.

As for the Knights being a dynasty - I think we come across more these days for our annoyance value. Our defence is ordinary, but sometimes we can blow even the big sides off the park, just by putting points on. Many sides may be scared of us when we're on song, but be thankful when we're not, because they can go to town on us - i.e. Bulldogs and Tigers this year.

We can fluctuate from ordinary to extraudinary - yet sides like the Roosters maintain a consistent standard. Need I mention that the Rooster's biggest loss all year was the Grand Final - 12 points. That is a tough standard to match, and while the Knight's defence is this ordinary we won't be matching it with the Roosters.

The Broncos, certainly over the last decade prior to this year, have been a dynasty of sorts. I'm still scared of them, but the victory up at Sandcorp this year did go a long way to making Newcastle competitive again - even though I remember a 40 point scoreline at Marathon a few years ago - I was there. :lol:

Helen

Juniors
To say that the will NEVER be another dynsasty is wrong IMO

We, none of us can fortell the future. We may not see it in our life times but it may happen.

Its kinda like those who said their would never be players as great as Bradman.. (Cricket)

Helen

Latest posts