What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs dropping out of Premier League

Nfed

Juniors
An article in Rugby League Review suggests that St George-Illawarra, Parramatta, Bulldogs and Newcastle all considering whether to contine in Premier League.

If they do drop out they will need to place about 6 players with another club that assumes their position in that comp, so next year we could see say Wollongong Collegians, Wentworthville, Sydney Bulls and Newcastle Wests playing in Premier League.

Spike

First Grade
As warped as it would be, I'd love to see my old team the Rosellas (Newcastle Wests) playing in premier league next year. They have a team that would be competitive on the field as well with a number of former Knights in their ranks.

I wouldn't be suprised if Norths pack it in too. They've had their budget slashed with the pokie tax being blammed. Unless they can get an affiliation/funding from Melbourne which was on the cards recently they are not looking good.

girvie

Staff member
Spike said:
I wouldn't be suprised if Norths pack it in too. They've had their budget slashed with the pokie tax being blammed. Unless they can get an affiliation/funding from Melbourne which was on the cards recently they are not looking good.

Norths will definantly be there.

Jeffles

Bench
Can you blame them?

The way the NSWRL promotes PL it isn't worth it. If PL had TV coverage etc (which it deserves), you'd see more clubs sticking around instead of opting for feeders.

Couple that with the JBC clubs that are desparate to escape association with that competition and it becomes attractive.

mightybears

Bench
makes sense for newcastle to 'outsource' the premier league team to a mob with a leagues club that could help pay for it like the rosellas.
if it did happen hopefully the team will wear the full newcastle wests strip

norths will definitely field a pl team next year, as the storm players will make the bears competitive, funding cuts or not

King Tigerman

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Can you blame them?

The way the NSWRL promotes PL it isn't worth it. If PL had TV coverage etc (which it deserves), you'd see more clubs sticking around instead of opting for feeders.

Couple that with the JBC clubs that are desparate to escape association with that competition and it becomes attractive.

& whos fault is that the ABCs theyd rather have club rugby

also sides that do have stand alone games can do more than what theyre doing to promote the games let every1 in for free have cheergirls have cheap beer

Jeffles

Bench
King Tigerman said:
& whos fault is that the ABCs theyd rather have club rugby

also sides that do have stand alone games can do more than what theyre doing to promote the games let every1 in for free have cheergirls have cheap beer

A reality check would be nice KT. You have no idea of what's going on. The ABC has NEVER stated that they want Club Onion over PL. In fact, they show both in Qld (substituting PL for Qld Cup). The TV contracts now allow for PL to be televised. The situation exists for the same thing in NSW but they need the League to get behind it (like the QRL has)

The NSWRL chose not to pursue this. They wanted JBC on TV but were not prepared to pay for it. Clubs also expressed concerns about paying for it.

The sponsorship money for PL (which I believe was dubiously tied to the general lump sum CUB gave the Leagues, rather than being an actively sought after one) should go to contributing to TV costs.

As for getting people to come to matches the formula is simple. Publicity brings the people. If people see PL on TV, read about it in Big League and RLW, etc they'll make inquiries to go to matches. At the moment these options are not explored to their capability.

Saturday afternoons would be perfect for PL games on the ABC.

The NSWRL should get it's act together. With publicity it could be a reasonable comp (like a decent 2nd tier) and down the track struggling Sydney NRL Clubs may opt to drop down to PL as a way of staying alive and not merging or relocating.

There's no reason why people wouldn't follow PL and NRL alternately. It would get people talking more about the game.

Jeffles

Bench
We've shown that fans of NRL clubs will follow PL. We get great away support at many of our matches.

The NSWRL wanted to show it's "baby", the JBC instead. What crap!

Dragon21

Juniors
So whats happening??? Are some teams not entering in PL? If so, which ones? I heard the Dragons arnt..??

bartman

Immortal
Surely Parramatta are playing PL in 2005? They've named a playing squad of 39 players, 29 players above the Flegg age restrictions. To me that says commitment to two 2005 teams - NRL and PL.

But the idea of a national under 20s comp for 2006 onwards may ring the changes for Premier League then...

Nfed

Juniors
Every club in the NRL will also have an u/20 team. The NSWRL will run another open comp but the NRL teams will not be compelled to enter a side.

brook

First Grade
bartman said:
Surely Parramatta are playing PL in 2005? They've named a playing squad of 39 players, 29 players above the Flegg age restrictions. To me that says commitment to two 2005 teams - NRL and PL.

But the idea of a national under 20s comp for 2006 onwards may ring the changes for Premier League then...

I would have thought the immediate impact would be killing the Jersey Flegg comp.

Nfed

Juniors
It constitutes the NRL taking flegg off NSWRL and expanding it to include Brisbane, Nth Queensland, Melbourne and New Zealand. Some players that might have come into NRL earlier will stay in this comp meaning that it will be of a higher standard than flegg and thus more costly. NRL clubs have have been moving towards a 2 team structure in recent years and it appears that the age competition has been given greater emphasis than running a reserve team.

NSWRL would continue to run Ball & Matthews.

brook

First Grade
hmmm not good news for Balmain who could never afford to compete in a national comp (I'm assuming the same would go for the other stand-alone teams apart from maybe saints)

Big Mick

Referee
Premier League should be televised on ABC every week.

Its more exciting than bloody Queensland Cup.

Grantwhy

Juniors
at the moment it seems that the NSWRL don't want it shown on the ABC :?

Although, I thought i read somewhere that Ch.Nein had the broadcast rights for the Premier League? but I have no idea if that is actually the case.

Maybe someone could ask (email) the NSWRL if anyone has the broadcast rights for Premier League?

Latest posts