What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs fear NRL can’t afford to expand

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They haven't got any Ts or Is. They havent said theyre expanding. They havent said where. They havent said how. They havent provided any bids with a criteria to meet. Theyve only just appointed the latest big salary employee to do all this so theyll be using that as an excuse. Crossing Ts and dotting Is suggests they're nearly finished, not barely started.

And the team that has no major sponsor is under their control and still hasn't got one. Which consultant or micro manager is dealing with that? The same one bringing in all those other new sponsors into the game I guess. Like...um.

So are you upset that DSmith isnt emailing you directly with his plans??

Or do you just not understand that things still go on in the world even if you arent there to see them??

For what pont or purpose would the ARLC announce an expansion licence before everything was completed? When he does make the announcement, his track record shows it will be to present a finished product, not some half baked idea....

They havent said theyre expanding. They havent said where. They havent said how. They havent provided any bids with a criteria to meet.

And what makes you so sure that the ARLC will just hand a licence to one of the bids??

Considering the fact that they have taken such an active role in restructuring the Tiger, Titans and Knights (and probably the Dragons soon) it seems far more likely that they will decide in-house the best franchise structure then MAYBE allow one of the bi teams to slot into a few board seats in exchange for the brand.

Hell, maybe theyll do the whole thing inhouse and just offer jobs to any members of the bid teams that impressed them.

Last edited:
Do you have a poster of him on your ceiling? Are you upset he doesn't return your letters? He'd be easier to stalk now he hasn't got a licence. We know he walks to work.

And as if the NRL would be responsible for anything half baked like an integrity unit, the Tasmanian rugby league or the ever changing rules of the game. I'm sure the welsh banker will turn up to announce something once Richardson has done the job, unless it all goes pear shaped, so to speak, and richo is left to face the music.

franklin2323

Immortal
An extra Brisbane team equals $250 million? Kind of makes it a no brainer really.

No names in the story though. TV wise it's probably right would the corporates & the fans get on board given the monopoly the Broncos have. My concern is the 3 or 4 QLD bids all reckon they have the best business plans. Where are these sponsors now? Are they only getting involved if their bid wins?

Far from an easy decision by the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are starting to run out of time. Reality is they need to make an announcement by around oct this year ideally to give the new clubs opportunity to build their rosters and systems. That is only 6 months to go through the whole process. I suspect we are about to get fkcd over once again with nrl using the plight of sht run clubs as its excuse to sit and do nothing.

Interesting how afl is now using "Australias game" in its branding. It may be costing them a massive investment but they are the only code in the country that can claim to have a major presence in every capital city and in decades to game that will be game set and match unless the NRL catches up fast. You may scoff but I saw it with soccer in England and how it went from being popular in the 80's to the massive dominating sport it is now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyUlEoF6dI

franklin2323

Immortal
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...risbane-nrl-team-hots-up-20150415-1mlq9v.html

This says here:

Former South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson has been tasked with investigating the possibility of expansion and any bid teams will need to have their pitch on his desk by the end of the year. And with growing certainty about the prospect of a second Brisbane franchise, the Bombers may have more company as the bidding process begins to take flight.

So end of the year they will make the decision. Hardly them sitting on their hands as some idiots on here would have you believe

Bids' pitches on his desk by the end of the year?

What happened to strategically deciding where to expand to first? None of the Brisbane bids as they stand are right but there needs to be a second Brisbane side so how are they going to deal with that?

Seems like sitting squarely on their arse until at least the end of the year to me and waiting for the bids to come to them.

They are starting to run out of time. Reality is they need to make an announcement by around oct this year ideally to give the new clubs opportunity to build their rosters and systems. That is only 6 months to go through the whole process. I suspect we are about to get fkcd over once again with nrl using the plight of sht run clubs as its excuse to sit and do nothing.

Interesting how afl is now using "Australias game" in its branding. It may be costing them a massive investment but they are the only code in the country that can claim to have a major presence in every capital city and in decades to game that will be game set and match unless the NRL catches up fast. You may scoff but I saw it with soccer in England and how it went from being popular in the 80's to the massive dominating sport it is now.

So cricket doesn't get a look in, even with a team in Tasmania?

franklin2323

Immortal
Bids' pitches on his desk by the end of the year?

What happened to strategically deciding where to expand to first? None of the Brisbane bids as they stand are right but there needs to be a second Brisbane side so how are they going to deal with that?

Seems like sitting squarely on their arse until at least the end of the year to me and waiting for the bids to come to them.

Each bid would have x sponsor etc connected to it. Would that same sponsor stay for another bid? If not How much less $ does a Wellington team bring.

So you can't just put teams in places. The 2 strongest bids should get in

Thats ridiculous and if they do that they will have f**ked up big time. All of the Brisbane bids fall down in certain areas because they are the doings of individuals or groups with their own priorities and preferences and agendas. The nrl should be dictating what they want in a franchise and making it happen, not leaving it up to random businessmen, leagues club boards or whatever. They bang on about governance and structures and want to impose themselves on 100 year old clubs but they are willing to leave new expansion clubs open to the same issues. Doesnt make sense.

There not big in Canberra and only there due the the ACT government using taxpayers money for a team with no links to Canberra.

taipan

Referee
Thats ridiculous and if they do that they will have f**ked up big time. All of the Brisbane bids fall down in certain areas because they are the doings of individuals or groups with their own priorities and preferences and agendas. The nrl should be dictating what they want in a franchise and making it happen, not leaving it up to random businessmen, leagues club boards or whatever. They bang on about governance and structures and want to impose themselves on 100 year old clubs but they are willing to leave new expansion clubs open to the same issues. Doesnt make sense.

Hence the reason for not rushing in.Any expansion must be as near as possible to being bullet proof.How do you know the NRL have not spelt out the requirements or framework needed for a successful license.That include governance requirements.
Yeah the 100 year old clubs still are not making profits except one.Great governance not.:sarcasm:
It makes perfect sense ,learn by the AFL's mistakes deciding a team goes here in non heartland areas,spending a fortune and locals have no influence or interest.
To use a Gallopism go where the fish are and want to bite,even though he couldn't do so as he had no money ,due tho his brilliant negotiating skills;-)

Well apparently there's not enough money now either. This mob have done no more than gallop did, except spend more money doing it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely the pros of a second Brisbane team and Perth would far outweigh the cons?

This isn't anything like the AFL expanding with GWS/GCS. Both Bris2/Perth would likely be above average in most rankings. The stadiums are there, the fans & sponsors are waiting, the tv stations want them, etc.

would it be better to relocate the Titans and make them the second Brisbane side?

Given the game's track record with Gold Coast ventures and all.

Then you could expand and include Central Coast and Perth as expansion sides.

paulmac

Juniors
would it be better to relocate the Titans and make them the second Brisbane side?

Given the game's track record with Gold Coast ventures and all.

Then you could expand and include Central Coast and Perth as expansion sides.

I'm an old North Sydney Bears fan but you cànt give the CC a team at the expense of the GC.AFL would take over.I would like to see a broad based Brisbane side entered not a suburban name with limited appeal ala Ipswich.so Sth Qld Crushers for me and hopefully the Bears can do a deal with WARL and form the West Coast Bears.Roosters can play 3-4 games at Gosford similar to Hawthorns deal w Tasmania.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm an old North Sydney Bears fan but you cànt give the CC a team at the expense of the GC.AFL would take over.I would like to see a broad based Brisbane side entered not a suburban name with limited appeal ala Ipswich.so Sth Qld Crushers for me and hopefully the Bears can do a deal with WARL and form the West Coast Bears.Roosters can play 3-4 games at Gosford similar to Hawthorns deal w Tasmania.

Either way we have:

Perth
Brisbane
Brisbane
Logan
Ipswich
CQLD
Central Coast
Wellington

All wanting in. The best 2 should be in regardless of where they are

taipan

Referee
Well apparently there's not enough money now either. This mob have done no more than gallop did, except spend more money doing it.

Did Gallop get a Govt lobby group set up,to extract money from the feds? Did Gallop spend time looking at getting financial input into stadiums?Did Gallop spend money on establishing a Pacific islands academy and get Govt money also? Did Gallop make promises to Perth and not follow through or give them a hint they would be in leading them falsely? Did Gallop financially underpin clubs like St George ,Tigers.Knights,Titans?
Was not Gallop head of the NRL when ASADA hit the fan,when Folau went to union,when the storm salary cap erupted?
Who has been loudest on the matter of rl Internationals and growing that side gallop or Smith?
Did gallop have someone specifically set up to look into the viability of expansion?
Did Gallop have money in the Bank prior to his departure?
Just on the basis of the above Smith drops large ones from a great height on Gallop.And one does not have to be a Smith sycophant to spell out these facts.

I have no problem with spending money,if long term it achieves the desired result.I have a problem with admin who bumble along navel gazing,because they were incompetent on securing a proper Tv deal commensurate with rugby league.Hence why the code has not expanded to date.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why is the NRL Commission employing the Welsh Banker, Grant, Greenburg, Richardson etc, when they could just pay East Coast Tiger $50K a year to do the job on his own? :?

Smith has cash. That's it. And that's not down to his work.

Gallop was shit but he wasnt meant to be anything else. Smith has every advantage but he's just as much piss and wind as gallop except he gets others to do the hard work and front the cameras when there's trouble. Gallop was shit but he oversaw expansion to the GC. That's more than Smith has done and even now he's hired someone else to do the work. The titans might have gone to shit but the kind of fanbois who lust after smith were the same about Searle. They wanted him to be NRL CEO because he's the same all talk, big spending, public image oriented character. With the kind of cash smith has at his disposal he's barely done the minimum expected in most areas, done f**k all in others and even created problems in some cases. If he doesn't get expansion sorted by the end of the year as promised he won't have even done the minimum expected.

Why is the NRL Commission employing the Welsh Banker, Grant, Greenburg, Richardson etc, when they could just pay East Coast Tiger $50K a year to do the job on his own? :?

They could pay me 50¢ a year and I'd do the job.

And I wouldn't cover up domestic violence and assault charges either.