What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs going broke

j5o6hn

Juniors
On Offsiders Roy Masters reckoned that a number of Sydney clubs are struggling to survive as poker Machine takings dive owing to smoking bans and Govt taxes.
Is this true and which clubs,Wests has approached Collingwood to see how they market themselves and hold and keep members to put in place a seperate revnue stream,as the AFL clubs do.
I think the NRL and the clubs could take a lesson from the way the AFL mass market there code interested in your opinions

LeagueLegend

Juniors
j5o6hn said:
On Offsiders Roy Masters reckoned that a number of Sydney clubs are struggling to survive as poker Machine takings dive owing to smoking bans and Govt taxes.
Is this true and which clubs,Wests has approached Collingwood to see how they market themselves and hold and keep members to put in place a seperate revnue stream,as the AFL clubs do.
I think the NRL and the clubs could take a lesson from the way the AFL mass market there code interested in your opinions

Virtually every club has done the tour of Collingwood. The issues surrounding licensed clubs stem deeper than just doing what the AFL does.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Thanks for reply but still like to know what is going on,are the club grants being cut if so who will pick up the slack also don,t it make people calling for the salary cap to be lifted look a bit silly.
As if it is who is going to fund it,if the clubs cant

mark123

Juniors
I think most clubs are wondering just where their next dollar is going to come from.

They probably dont know at this stage exactly.

I reckon some have a fair idea, others, not even in the know just yet.

One thing is for sure, and that is the way finances of a club are run is changing. In the future the areas from where money is to come is going to change. Sponsorships and the like are still going to be there, maybe even the odd football club grant, but the majority of money is going to come from elsewhere and i reckon most clubs havnt go the feintest idea just yet...its going to take some while to figure out or for opertunities to present themsevles. I for one would like to hope that clubs start to grow their memberships in a bid to close the deficit.

Maybe everything needs a slight restructure.

I wonder if somehow one day even juniors and their fees could help pay for top flight football and i wonder backwards do they do that now?

I have some ideas to make things work, if people would hear me. They are not new ideas, but perhaps their exact application to rugby league is new.

I'd like to hope that in the future all monies generated from all aspects of the game from international, state of origin, world cup share, junior football, registration, merchandising, sponsorships (up to a certain cap), would go directly to the SINGLE organistaional body running the game in this country, and then on-fed to the clubs evenly.

I know this might upset people who feel certain clubs are not entitled to what YOUR CLUB generates, but lets be honest and realistic and completely open.....really whats happening in the competition is that clubs are making this money because of the competition....and not because they are a particular club. Adjust your thinking, and because they make money due to the competition, they owe it to the competition, and therefore are entitled to an equal share.

I have not included gate takings in this share pool, and no doubt certain other aspects of the finances.....but such an arrangement would go a long way to making more clubs financially viable.

And thats what its all about. Helping clubs survive, right?

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT FINANCES SHOULD SEPARATE CLUBS....its not about how much money a club has in the bank, it SHOULD BE ABOUT HOW WELL THEY PERFORM ON THE FIELD ON THE DAY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.

So revenue share, save the game off the field, and enjoy it on the feild, please.

Just like the world cup shares its revenue. Its done for support of the participants, not a get rich quick scheme.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Until the salary cap and NRL grants are equal there's always going to be financial difficulty for a lot of clubs (including non-Sydney clubs) and the only way the grant and cap are going to get close together is if the NRL stop undervaluing the tv/media rights and take a stand.

I know more can be done by clubs to increase revenue, but the game isn't getting what it's worth. I think everyone can agree on that.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
There used to be a time the central body never gave grants.

The NRL clubs have been complacent and stupid.

Simo

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Clubs will look for and maximise other revenue streams. Balmain, Cronulla and Manly are looking at property, this I believe is where clubs will get their money rather than just pokie cash.

Check out Balmain's plans:

http://masterplan.tigers.org.au/

Where would the club get the funding to build something like that and then sustain a club until it turns a profit?

Simo

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Do you think Balmain have not taken this into account?

Im sure they have, my question though is where would they get this type of funding? Looking at that website it seems like a pretty full on development that would require a few pennies.

Noa

First Grade
Kurt Angle hit the head of a nail with his hammer.

Teams have become lazy, welfare recipients and havent gone out to look for other revenue streams. Some are starting now but its something they should have been doing 10 years ago.

Are teams entitled to a grant, yes i believe they are as they help to deliver income to the NRL.

But to sit there whine "we cant do this and we cant do that, the grant isnt enough, pokies tax is killing us" is chook-raffle stuff and annoys the crap out of me.

petetheileet

First Grade
the clubs need to do something else cause pokie profit is definitely on the slide and there is no assurance they will climb back up!

jed

First Grade
Clubs that were budgetting their long-term survival on the misery of others (ie Pokie revenue) will not survive.

RainMan

Juniors
petetheileet said:
the clubs need to do something else cause pokie profit is definitely on the slide and there is no assurance they will climb back up!

Pokie revenue will bounce back. People have to get used to the new non smoking laws first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
Harry T I would imagine

Simo said:

Simo, he means Harry Triggabuff. Boss of Meriton Apartments one of the states largest developers of large scale residential projects.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think Sydney clubs have been very fortunate to be living off the back of pokies for decades. This has made them lazy in terms of corporate and fan base development. As the NSW Govt looks closer and closer at the "charitable" use of pokie money think it will really cause some short term pain to clubs.

Hopefully in the longer term what it will do is make clubs take fan membership, decent facilities to encourage families to games and the corporate $ more seriously and that will make the game stronger overall.

Simo

First Grade
Jatz Crackers said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
Harry T I would imagine

Simo, he means Harry Triggabuff. Boss of Meriton Apartments one of the states largest developers of large scale residential projects.

Cheers, do the tigers own this land or something? Why would Meriton fund it for the Tigers? Is Harry T a fan like RC and PHAC are to the Bunnies?

Latest posts